WRX vs RX-8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs RX-8 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well i was on my way home today and i ran across and RX-8 on some back roads, we both ...

WRX vs RX-8

Well i was on my way home today and i ran across and RX-8 on some back roads, we both turned down the same windy road. The RX-8 was in front with me following, after a few seconds he noticed me and punched it in third gear by the time i realized he punched it he already had a few cars on me so i was playing catch up, for the most part from a third gear roll i would creep up on him to the point where right around the end of third gear i would have to slow down or else i would hit him, this is with him starting with a 5 car lead since i was not tailing him, from a 4th gear roll around 65mph we were dead even i wouldn't pull on him he wouldn't pull on me. It was a fun spirited run down some backroads in my town, there were no other cars so don't flame me. So basically WRX>RX-8 3rd gear pull WRX=RX-8 4th gear roll.
    Last edited by elohdaeh78; 05-04-2005 at 05:16 PM.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How was it in the twisties?

Quote Originally Posted by zoinks
    How was it in the twisties?
    well basically its a back country road so around the twisties you can go into the other lane since no cars are around, I didn't push my car that hard around the turns i don't think he did either cause i was right with him, but on the straights is when we both pushed it, his car was kicking up soo many rocks i bet i have a few more chips on my hood, plus i could smell his car really bad, not sure why cause it looked and sounded stock. I have the stock RE92s and im just running H-tech springs so i am pretty sure if he really pushed it around the twisties i would have been toast.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

t
    They are nice and all , but they have no torque.

HP sells cars.

Torque wins races.

Sounds like it was fun.

My wife and I ran in to an RX-8 on the interstate and had basically the same experience. We both slowed down and in 3rd I actually had a little on him. In 4th it was dead even and when I went into 5th at ~120mph he started to walk me. At 135 we shut down and I think he had maybe 2 car lengths on me. I sure did like the sound of the car though...I am 100% stock.

t
    Quote Originally Posted by VOLFAN
    Sounds like it was fun.

My wife and I ran in to an RX-8 on the interstate and had basically the same experience. We both slowed down and in 3rd I actually had a little on him. In 4th it was dead even and when I went into 5th at ~120mph he started to walk me. At 135 we shut down and I think he had maybe 2 car lengths on me. I sure did like the sound of the car though...I am 100% stock.
    Rotoraty engines sound orgasmic ( if thats even a word )

fre
    Quote Originally Posted by t
    They are nice and all , but they have no torque.

HP sells cars.

Torque wins races.
    I dunno, a 600wtq/250whp truck would be less than impressive in the quarter mile. Hell I know some of these turbo diesel trucks come with like 500tq stock and still run 16s. Then look at the crock rockets that have no torque and they run 10 second passes. You can make up for lack of torque. It's called rpms.
    Last edited by fre; 05-04-2005 at 06:32 PM.
    11.1 @ 131

Quote Originally Posted by fre
    I dunno, a 600wtq/250whp truck would be less than impressive in the quarter mile. Hell I know some of these turbo diesel trucks come with like 500tq stock and still run 16s. Then look at the crock rockets that have no torque and they run 10 second passes. You can make up for lack of torque. It's called rpms.
    and/or a huge power to weight ratio.... (motorcycle vs. truck)

fre
    Quote Originally Posted by scott144
    and/or a huge power to weight ratio.... (motorcycle vs. truck)
    Even then 600 tq would be about the same tq/weight ratio as a crotch rocket with like 70 torque or whatever they make. Still pretty slow with low hp figures. Low hp = slow.
    11.1 @ 131

nice runs.

I really like the styling of the RX8... It will be a much more interesting car once they put some more balls in it for the Mazdaspeed version
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    nice runs.

I really like the styling of the RX8... It will be a much more interesting car once they put some more balls in it for the Mazdaspeed version
    Yeah, the styling has grown on me....for some reason some just ook plain awesome and others are like, eh, it's OK. I was at the Mazda dealer yesterday and they had a pure white one that had just about every option you could get and it looked incredible.

I can't wait for a Mazdaspeed version either but my fear is the price will be in new C5 territory....$40k sound like an unreasonable guess at the price?

Nice race. The RX8's are sweet, even if they are underpowered. Definitely a momentum car. When I drove one, I found you had to drive it like a miata....

Keep the speed and RPM's up through the corners. If you slowed down too much and fell out of the power band you were screwed.

Different sensation from most cars I've driven, but still a blast.

Whoever mentioned the Torque is right, though, it's slightly Honda-esque in that regard...

Yeah, the styling has grown on me....for some reason some just ook plain awesome and others are like, eh, it's OK. I was at the Mazda dealer yesterday and they had a pure white one that had just about every option you could get and it looked incredible.

I can't wait for a Mazdaspeed version either but my fear is the price will be in new C5 territory....$40k sound like an unreasonable guess at the price?
    I think you mean C6... and I doubt they will sell for $40k. No one would buy it then, that is way too overpriced. The Mazdaspeed will probably be comparable in performance to the S2k and 350Z (high 13's) and if they sell it for $40k they are going to have a tough time when the competition is almost $10k less. I am guessing it will sell for $32k-$34k depending on what they actually upgrade.
    Just call me Clark Kent

I don't know...weren't some of the 2nd gen RX7's going in the mid $30's back in 1996? Heck, I remember going to a Toyota dealer in the summer of 1996 to buy a fully loaded MR2 turbo and it had a sticker on it of $34k!

I mean, if they are selling fully loaded versions right now for $34k I could see a Mazdaspeed Turbo version fully loaded with nav having a sticker of around $40k, although I can't imagine it would be too popular unless it had unreal power.

I don't know...weren't some of the 2nd gen RX7's going in the mid $30's back in 1996? Heck, I remember going to a Toyota dealer in the summer of 1996 to buy a fully loaded MR2 turbo and it had a sticker on it of $34k!

I mean, if they are selling fully loaded versions right now for $34k I could see a Mazdaspeed Turbo version fully loaded with nav having a sticker of around $40k, although I can't imagine it would be too popular unless it had unreal power.
    yeah you might be right... I just looked into it further and the RX-8 is going for considerably more than I thought. A fully loaded version is asking for a $33k payout so a MazdaSpeed version may very well cost $37k-$40k
    Just call me Clark Kent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast