Cobb stg2 vr's 90's DSM Talon
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Cobb stg2 vr's 90's DSM Talon within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was on my way to work when I passed an early 90's Talon waiting to get on the road ...

Cobb stg2 vr's 90's DSM Talon

I was on my way to work when I passed an early 90's Talon waiting to get on the road I was traveling. As sooon as I passed here he comes black smoke puffing behind him and all runnin up on my ass. So we get to the nextr street and both turn right onto a country road. I decided not to oblige him as he continued to test me by riding my ass some more. My car was still warming up and all. Well eventually we get to the next light where the car in front of me is turning right. I slow down (two lane road) to about 15-20 mph. I stay in second gear and when the car clears I hit it hard! I pulled about a car, and from then on we were dead even till 80mph and shut down. I knew he would be fast since it was a dsm and all. I thought he would actually ride my ass from a roll, but not so! I know he was pushing hard too because his car was pitching hard in-between shifts. Those suckers are fast, but I was really impressed with how well the rex stayed in front. My question is what stage of power so-to-speak would an early 90's six-bolt (the good engine. not the sh!#y 1997+ engine) dsm have to be at to keep up with a stg 2 wrx from a roll?
    My car looks just like this without the skirts and roof wing! Yeah baby!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by scoob
    I was on my way to work when I passed an early 90's Talon waiting to get on the road I was traveling. As sooon as I passed here he comes black smoke puffing behind him and all runnin up on my ass. So we get to the nextr street and both turn right onto a country road. I decided not to oblige him as he continued to test me by riding my ass some more. My car was still warming up and all. Well eventually we get to the next light where the car in front of me is turning right. I slow down (two lane road) to about 15-20 mph. I stay in second gear and when the car clears I hit it hard! I pulled about a car, and from then on we were dead even till 80mph and shut down. I knew he would be fast since it was a dsm and all. I thought he would actually ride my ass from a roll, but not so! I know he was pushing hard too because his car was pitching hard in-between shifts. Those suckers are fast, but I was really impressed with how well the rex stayed in front. My question is what stage of power so-to-speak would an early 90's six-bolt (the good engine. not the sh!#y 1997+ engine) dsm have to be at to keep up with a stg 2 wrx from a roll?
    Probably just a boost controller and an exhaust.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78
    Probably just a boost controller and an exhaust.
    If that's all it takes for a low 15 sec. car to run with a stg 2 wrx, then our cars are no match at all. I know they can run 30 lb.s of boost though, so maybe your right.

yeah pretty much, there's a kid that lives by me that has the same setup, he has exhaust and a boost controller and he runs 13.7 in the quarter mile, so i'm shure he's quick.

He wants me to run against him, but I didn't give him the benfit of the doubt.

I guess that explains why upgrading a turbo does so much for them then. Too bad Mitsu quality sucks so bad, they really would be all around marvels then. My sister had a 92ish talon that fell apart so bad at once it seemed as if it was sabotaged from the factory. I mean at first the windshield wiper motor went out then the head gasket blew, and all the electrics started frying out, bearings stated dying all within a couple months time. Scary man, scary. My best friends 97 gst conv. is on its third clutch, and second tranny, leaks every fluid, and rattles like a tin box full of pennies. Can you say crankwalk boys and girls? Fast cars though. No doubt.

they are not the most reliable things, but have purely amazing modability, and respond so well to the mods that it is sick
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

dam those DSM's
    " I'm a bad man"

yea a boost controller and exhaust does amazing things for those cars. i had a 1g awd talon and loved every minute of it. and the funny part about it was it actually ran all the time.
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

Quote Originally Posted by Novtec1
    yea a boost controller and exhaust does amazing things for those cars. i had a 1g awd talon and loved every minute of it. and the funny part about it was it actually ran all the time.
    If they were just more reliable I would probably own one
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    If they were just more reliable I would probably own one
    I agree, if they were more reliable, and had better safety (ie side impact protection) I'd be on the Evo bandwagon in a second! But that's not reality.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.