WRX vs. Mustang Bullitt - With a Twist
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on WRX vs. Mustang Bullitt - With a Twist within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I've been trying to race my friends brother-in-laws Mustang Bullitt for the longest. Well, we finally get the chance ...

WRX vs. Mustang Bullitt - With a Twist

So I've been trying to race my friends brother-in-laws Mustang Bullitt for the longest. Well, we finally get the chance this weekend. I pick up Matt (my friend) and we drive out to his brother-in-laws (Ken) place where he's out washing is Mustang. Let me just say that the Bullitt is by far my favorite Mustang GT. It just looks so great with those huge rotors, no spoiler and smoothed out body cladding.

Anyway, I let Ken take a test drive of my car. He's driving it and says that it deceptive. It's so smooth compared to the Bullitt but just as fast. Overall, he liked it, but he's a V8 guy all the way. But he really did apreciate driving another performance car to get a feel for something different.

We get back and I jump in the Bullitt for my test. And Matt hops in my wagon and we take off. The sound coming from that Bullitt is so much fun. I couldn't refain from reving it over and over when I was sitting at the lights. 1st and 2nd didn't rev as fast as I thought, but 3rd was very fast. The car is also very heavy. It's not a car for the twisties like the WRX, but with 17" rims and performance tires, turn in was excellent. I've got to get new rims next spring.

So, we're running around and he hit a light. Matt lines up besides me and Ken in the Bullitt. We smile, yell a bunch of smack talk back and forth and wait for the green. Matt in my WRX and me in the Bullitt. The light turns green, he boggs, I spin, but both cars hook up at the same time. My WRX is about 1 car ahead and I'm doing my best thru first and 2nd to catch up but I can't. Then 3rd and the Bullitts better flowing intake and exhaust come in and I start to pull. But we had to shut down at about 70 because of traffic. So I got beat, but WITH MY OWN CAR!!!

What fun! It was cool to finally be able to drive a Mustang. Totally different animal. I understand the allure of the big V8. It's its own sound and character. I love it, but it's just not me. But Ken's got himself a very nice car and he takes good care of it and is an open minded person about other brands.

I was very proud of my wagon. It totally held it's ground from 0-70 and only started to give way afterward. I'd like to see a race with me in my car and Ken in his. That would be fun too. The new turbo feels stronger and stronger every day. I just need some EM and BC and I'll be very satisfied with the engine. Now it's time to start thinking about suspension, brakes etc.
    Prodrive Headlight Conversion
    STi Front Grill
    Turbochargers.com Stage 1 Turbo Upgrade - T28 Compressor
    The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel
    Wagons Are Cool Check Out My Baby Here!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Raced one my last time at the track (drag strip). I of course owned him on the launch, but I also continued to pull all the way to the traps (trapped higher than he did). Not as impressive as I thought they would be.

VV

Originally posted by VetteVert
    Raced one my last time at the track (drag strip). I of course owned him on the launch, but I also continued to pull all the way to the traps (trapped higher than he did). Not as impressive as I thought they would be.

VV
    It's Mustang GT with heavier wheels... were you expecting this pony car to move?

-Jim

I was expecting the 2k1 Cobra I pulled the same trick with to move

VV

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX

It's Mustang GT with heavier wheels... were you expecting this pony car to move?

-Jim

Re: WRX vs. Mustang Bullitt - With a Twist

Originally posted by koyokid
    So I've been trying to race my friends brother-in-laws Mustang Bullitt for the longest. Well, we finally get the chance this weekend. I pick up Matt (my friend) and we drive out to his brother-in-laws (Ken) place where he's out washing is Mustang. Let me just say that the Bullitt is by far my favorite Mustang GT. It just looks so great with those huge rotors, no spoiler and smoothed out body cladding.

Anyway, I let Ken take a test drive of my car. He's driving it and says that it deceptive. It's so smooth compared to the Bullitt but just as fast. Overall, he liked it, but he's a V8 guy all the way. But he really did apreciate driving another performance car to get a feel for something different.

We get back and I jump in the Bullitt for my test. And Matt hops in my wagon and we take off. The sound coming from that Bullitt is so much fun. I couldn't refain from reving it over and over when I was sitting at the lights. 1st and 2nd didn't rev as fast as I thought, but 3rd was very fast. The car is also very heavy. It's not a car for the twisties like the WRX, but with 17" rims and performance tires, turn in was excellent. I've got to get new rims next spring.

So, we're running around and he hit a light. Matt lines up besides me and Ken in the Bullitt. We smile, yell a bunch of smack talk back and forth and wait for the green. Matt in my WRX and me in the Bullitt. The light turns green, he boggs, I spin, but both cars hook up at the same time. My WRX is about 1 car ahead and I'm doing my best thru first and 2nd to catch up but I can't. Then 3rd and the Bullitts better flowing intake and exhaust come in and I start to pull. But we had to shut down at about 70 because of traffic. So I got beat, but WITH MY OWN CAR!!!

What fun! It was cool to finally be able to drive a Mustang. Totally different animal. I understand the allure of the big V8. It's its own sound and character. I love it, but it's just not me. But Ken's got himself a very nice car and he takes good care of it and is an open minded person about other brands.

I was very proud of my wagon. It totally held it's ground from 0-70 and only started to give way afterward. I'd like to see a race with me in my car and Ken in his. That would be fun too. The new turbo feels stronger and stronger every day. I just need some EM and BC and I'll be very satisfied with the engine. Now it's time to start thinking about suspension, brakes etc.
    good job well your car at least...how did u like shifting tilted to the left like in the mustang?
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Re: Re: WRX vs. Mustang Bullitt - With a Twist

Originally posted by SpeedRacerWRX02
    good job well your car at least...how did u like shifting tilted to the left like in the mustang?
    The shifter is actually quite nice. Big aluminum nob, and it's a short shifter. The car handles very well but is very heavy. Not my choice for the type of driving I'm into. The Bullit also has great seats and better guages. But it's still a solid rear axle so you're limited by that. But it's still my favorite Mustang GT version.

Next time I'll be in the correct seat. At least I know now that I can hold one off until 70 mph.
    STi Front Grill

Re: Re: Re: WRX vs. Mustang Bullitt - With a Twist

The shifter is actually quite nice. Big aluminum nob, and it's a short shifter. The car handles very well but is very heavy. Not my choice for the type of driving I'm into. The Bullit also has great seats and better guages. But it's still a solid rear axle so you're limited by that. But it's still my favorite Mustang GT version.

Next time I'll be in the correct seat. At least I know now that I can hold one off until 70 mph.
    maybe 75 since he bogged the line...when i was driving an 02GT i noticed the shifter slanted left right away! i was surprised! felt great though but the gauges and lack of room for a tall person such as myself led me to the WRX
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Re: Re: Re: WRX vs. Mustang Bullitt - With a Twist

With your new turbo, a <2002 Cobra looks very small in the rear view VERY FAST. Trust me, I smoked one with just my exhaust.

-Jim

Great kill story, and you're right what a twist! Cooool! Kinda like the movie "face off".
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

You just experienced what everyone else sees when they lose to you. Strange huh?

true.....i used to think stangs were fast cars.......i now know otherwise....however try telling that to non-car people lol like my boss.....he thinks i just have this little tiny subaru granola eaters car!!!!! hahaha.can you say 'chill sedan'????? lol
    DML

just so noone takes that post the wrong way......mustangs ARE nice cars........and can be made fast........but i'll still take my 4-banger rex anyday!!
    DML

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX

-Jim
    not bigger wheels man.. same as u can get on mustang premiums starting 02. ... and non-premium mustang GT's get 17 inch wheels also. So .. ur wrong there.

The intake manifold and intake system are slighter differntly yeilding more power also.

(i work for ford) ..lol
    97 VW GTI VR6 Vortech 10psi--SOLD
    03 Platnium Silver WRX Stage4+ - SOLD
    05 Crystal Grey STi

Originally posted by WRX Jim

not bigger wheels man.. same as u can get on mustang premiums starting 02. ... and non-premium mustang GT's get 17 inch wheels also. So .. ur wrong there.

The intake manifold and intake system are slighter differntly yeilding more power also.

(i work for ford) ..lol
    That's where I think alot of people were wrongly dissapointed with the Bullitt. They were expecting it to kill a stock GT off the line when, in reality, the major strength of the Bullitt is at speed and in handling. I've seen some of these cars at the autocross and they can move. And above 60 mph it would easily walk away from my wagon. But my wagon did win off the line.

"Whether it's an inch or a mile, winning's winning. Ask any ricer."

Like I said, the next time we meet (hopefully he won't have it supercharged) I'll be in the proper seat.
    STi Front Grill

Great story, koyokid. Don't know how I missed it. I too like those Bullitt edition Mustang's. Yeah, not much more power than the stock GT, but somehow the car has a lot more presence. I wouldn't mind having one alongside the WRX in garage.
    Old, but not slow.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.