02 WRX vs. 03 Camaro
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 02 WRX vs. 03 Camaro within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My friend was riding along with one of his buddies in a 98 (my bad) Camaro, which had a ,000 ...

02 WRX vs. 03 Camaro

My friend was riding along with one of his buddies in a 98 (my bad) Camaro, which had a $5,000 paint job, "possy" (sp) diff. and were talking all this smack about how they would "beat" me off the line, and kill me in a race.

The first time we raced I only got a launch at about 3k rpms, and he won. I told him that I was positive that I would at least beat him off the line, since he didn't even get that far ahead of me. The second time I got a good launch, from about 5k, got about 1-1/2 car lengths ahead of him, and it stayed that way til I got off of it at about 90. They were complaining about how they were "going sideways" and had to get slow down to keep the car steady.

So we stopped at a gas station, so he could fill his tank, (mine was already) and we met up with a few other cars. (2000 Honda S2000, Honda Accord, Acura Integra, and some dude in a truck) And we promptly were on our way to a nice backstreet to settle it. We lined up, and had the friend that was riding with me be the flagger.

This time I got an awesome start, actually squakin the tires as I got grip, and I got ahead of him by at least 2 carlengths off the start. As I was going through 2nd and 3rd he didn't move from the view in my side mirror. Finally at about 110-115 he started catching up, but I let off because we were running outta road. We got back to the group of ppl watching, and he tried saying about how he was gaining on me nasty, and that if we would have kept going he would have won. I laughed and said that in the 1/4 mile, we would have been done waaaaaay before you would have caught me. I figure my 1/4 mile speed would be around 99-101, and he didn't even start catching me til 110

I got some props and we all left.

Chalk one more up for the 4 bangers vs. 8 cylinders
    Last edited by czechwrxdriver; 04-30-2005 at 09:46 AM.
    I.H.O.P. = I Hate Old People

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    What are your mods? Was the Camaro a 6cyl?

mods? and there was no 03 camaro. Even a stage 2 against a LS1 should't be able to beat it. Maybe up to 70mph and then he's just going to fly by you.

im basically stock, and it was a Z28, and sorry, it was a 98, i just called my friend and asked, im not into camaros too much, unless its old school

Quote Originally Posted by czechwrxdriver
    im basically stock, and it was a Z28, and sorry, it was a 98, i just called my friend and asked, im not into camaros too much, unless its old school
    If it's a 98 it's a LS1, it should rape you stock. Unless it's a stick and he doesn't know how to drive.

Was it auto or manual Z28? I don't know, with my 2000 Camaro SS, I put bus lengths on couple of WRXs, but who knows, maybe that LS1 Z28 wasn't running right or he can't drive. But I wasn't there so good kill.

hmmm... I was thinking it was an LT1, but 98's have the LS1 in em.... First off, what are your mods? Second was the Z28 auto or stick?
    You said you are basically stock, but you should be trapping 100/101
    A stock wrx traps about 94mph and you need decent work to get 100+mph trap on a stock turbo. I had tbe/up/hoses/mbc and only trapped 100mph and that was on a 13.3 run!

Anyways, your car is not trapping 100mph if you are near stock, and an LS1 traps a good 106mph so dont see how you held him off until 90mph and again til 115mph
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

i know it was manual, so id say leave it to the driver, he was also complaining about his "tires being bald"

he raced the S2000 right after me and lost to that too

uke
    This will settle it: were his headlights recessed or flush with the front of the car

recessed=LT1
    flush=LS1
    06 GTO - yeah, it's pretty quick
    Grand Prix GTP-gone

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    A stock wrx traps about 94mph and you need decent work to get 100+mph trap on a stock turbo. I had tbe/up/hoses/mbc and only trapped 100mph and that was on a 13.3 run!

Anyways, your car is not trapping 100mph if you are near stock, and an LS1 traps a good 106mph so dont see how you held him off until 90mph and again til 115mph
    My first time at the track and my stock 03 trapped @ 96 and that was on a 14.42 run. My first run was against a C5 and he trapped 107.5 w/ a 12.908

I trapped 95.89 w/ a 15.62, of course I also ran a 18.32 @ 93 (First launch/run EVER in this car)

Quote Originally Posted by god910
    My first time at the track and my stock 03 trapped @ 96 and that was on a 14.42 run. My first run was against a C5 and he trapped 107.5 w/ a 12.908

I trapped 95.89 w/ a 15.62, of course I also ran a 18.32 @ 93 (First launch/run EVER in this car)
    Thats a pretty phominal trap speed for a stock rex. Most trap 94/95mph with a good driver
    Just call me Clark Kent

i know it was manual, so id say leave it to the driver, he was also complaining about his "tires being bald"

he raced the S2000 right after me and lost to that too
    yeah, if an LS1 is losing to a wrx and s2k then something is wrong.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Quote Originally Posted by uke
    This will settle it: were his headlights recessed or flush with the front of the car

recessed=LT1
    flush=LS1
    recessed

recessed
    You raced an LT1 Camaro (1993-1997), and those results sound about right. An LS1 (98 and above) is about 1/2 second faster and 5 mph more in the 1/4 mile and would provide a different outcome. Nice job on taking down the Z28.

LT1 Z28:

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

recessed
    O, ok.... That changes EVERYTHING!!

An LT1 runs low 14's with a good driver as opposed to LS1's which runs solid mid 13's and trap about 5mph higher... the LS1 is a far superior engine to the LT1 in several ways.

Good race then, this sounds about right. Those cars usually take a pretty big beating and after 7/8 years you are generally only going to see 14.3-14.5 out of one with a good driver.
    Good kill by you and the S2k

Just dont get confident with an LS1
    Just call me Clark Kent

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast