What does a Sti need to take a E46 M3 from 65 mph roll - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on What does a Sti need to take a E46 M3 from 65 mph roll within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx dont be so afraid to launch high with a sti...if my 03 wrx can take 7 ...

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx
    dont be so afraid to launch high with a sti...if my 03 wrx can take 7 drag strip visits launching at 6k rpm with stage 2 on 5 visits, i'm sure a sti can.
    I'm not only concerned about the AWD setup, but the crap-ass clutch also.
    1994 Chevrolet B4C Camaro
    2005 Subaru WRX STi

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bad WRX STi

wrx clutch handles so much ****, sti clutch is only better. Dont be afraid at all. Just launch the b!tch. The only things that even have issues because of wheel hop are axels. I dont use auto and i dont get wheel hop, it smooth off the line breaking 1.7's. if your driviing an evo than you worry about clutch.

I Support ClubWRX
    The clutch is far from crap as you will eventually find out. Easily capable of holding +400 HP no problem. As for launching, just read the sticky on launch techniques (for the STi). A lot of good info in it.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

wrx clutch handles so much ****, sti clutch is only better. Dont be afraid at all. Just launch the b!tch. The only things that even have issues because of wheel hop are axels. I dont use auto and i dont get wheel hop, it smooth off the line breaking 1.7's. if your driviing an evo than you worry about clutch.
    If I was driving an Evo, I'd be worried about more than a clutch....like oil consumption if I floored the gas before break-in period was over.
    2005 Subaru WRX STi

If I was driving an Evo, I'd be worried about more than a clutch....like oil consumption if I floored the gas before break-in period was over.

if you were driving an evo you'd also be worrying about a roll cage at the drag strip with a stock turbo getting into 11's trapping 118mph. Nothing wrong w/evo's. awesome cars.

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    Same cars....along the mod path for the STi.

Stock against E46: From a roll around 20. About a car up to 120, then he slowly rolled by.

Catback exhaust: From a roll around 40. Stayed pretty much even up to about 130.

Stage 2, TBE, high flow filter: From a roll around 30: Kept pulling up to around 120. Had around 3 car lengths by then.

Summary: Don't believe it that an STi has no top end.
    Man you need to start taping some of this stuff. I would love to see your driving in action. I think you hold the record here for the best 1/4 time in both stock STi and stock WRX
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    Man you need to start taping some of this stuff. I would love to see your driving in action. I think you hold the record here for the best 1/4 time in both stock STi and stock WRX
    Really? Wow...didn't really think so but maybe??

Guess it helps that I've been doing this for almost 30 years. Not including time in carts, bikes, etc.

Wish I could tape it, but the extra weight always makes me cringe. I HATE weight

Everytime I go to the track I always forget to bring the video camara. We are going to be taping my next event at Summit...hopefully showing me getting around a porsche or 3
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

I ran an E46 a few weeks ago in my stock 2005 STi. While I was babying it off the line, because I'm still not really good at driving it performance-wise, I got taken by about 1.5 cars. I'm not about to blow my awd with 5000rpm launches.

Anyway, he did beat me in that run. We ran again from a roll. I was in the top of 2nd gear and we nailed it. We were side by side. The shift into 3rd went well, but I tickled the rev limiter when I went to shift into 4th. I had depressed the clutch, but the revs still continued to climb between shifts for about 100-200rpm. After hitting the rev limiter, the power was pulled back hard, and that prettymuch ended the race. I just let off by that time. Prior to that incident, we were duking it out within about a front bumper....side by side. Electronic throttles suck.

As far as STis being slow at highway speeds, I haven't noticed that. 6th gear is prettymuch an overdrive gear. Downshifting to 5th, depending on how fast you are going, and it will give you a little bit of pep. Downshift to 4th, and get ready for takeoff.....of course depending on how fast you're going. I found my STi to be fine on a roll.

The only things I don't really like about the STi is the gearing. At 20mph I can run around in 3rd or 4th gear, which is fine, but the gears just cause the revs to be high, and I feel like I'm always going just a little bit faster than I need to be for a good downshift. For instance, if I were to downshift from 60mph into 4th gear, I'd probably be taching nearly 5000-6000rpms. I guess that's 3.91 gears for ya. I hear Evos have 4.50 gears, or something......

I hate that, and the clutch. On a hill, the clutch is really grabby, and I feel like I've gotta get the engine revved up to at least 3000-3500rpm to take off without the car drifting backwards, or stalling on a hill. After doing this 2 or 3 times, the clutch stinks to high hell. It's a real ***** if you're on a hill at a stop sign with cars in front of you. I never had this problem with my old VW GTI 1.8T.

Can someone give me some tips on taking off on a hill in this car smoothly without stinking the clutch to high hell?
    there is absolutely nothing wrong with the clutch. 24k miles on my car almost all of which have been modded...and it still holds fine. the only time i have ever smelled the clutch (yes one time in 24k miles) was when i really slipped a high rpm launch (my first launch with the car). when rolling backwards, just rev to 1500 while slipping the clutch (for no more than 2 seconds), and youre fine. if you are frequently smelling your clutch...its your driving.
    '04 PSM STi - modded (sr50+the works)
    '05 JGM RSX Type-S - stock

Quote Originally Posted by ellinopedo182
    i know, youre always 'game'. Seriously, when I get it, well do a few rolling races... and maybe, a dig run... maybe, if you behave.
    cool. i prefer to go from a roll, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by happasaiyan
    there is absolutely nothing wrong with the clutch. 24k miles on my car almost all of which have been modded...and it still holds fine. the only time i have ever smelled the clutch (yes one time in 24k miles) was when i really slipped a high rpm launch (my first launch with the car). when rolling backwards, just rev to 1500 while slipping the clutch (for no more than 2 seconds), and youre fine. if you are frequently smelling your clutch...its your driving.
    Exactly. I launched (a "real" launch) for the first time at an autox event, about 6 times from 4500-5000rpm/quick slip/floor it, and there was no clutch smell. I did two launches this Friday at an advanced driving school course and no smell. The clutch still holds perfectly. I'm very impressed with this clutch so far...especially when you consider how much power and resistance it has to deal with during a launch. Personally, I'm more worried about my axles.
    2005 Aspen White STi

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalfiend
    Personally, I'm more worried about my axles.
    as you should be. just watch the wheelhop.

<- broke an axle.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by happasaiyan
    as you should be. just watch the wheelhop.

<- broke an axle.

ah yes...I remember that. You an another one like 2 weeks time difference. That's what prompted me to do some testing on tire pressures resulting in the higher PSI launches. Wheel slip is good sometimes----in AWD launching and drifting
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

That's probably the only reason I feel comfortable launching during autox is because of the rear tire pressure being set to 38psi. I also only launch at ~4.5k, pump the throttle, then slip for a second to load the drivetrain, then fully off and floor it. Car takes off pretty damn fast that way...
    Last edited by Digitalfiend; 05-02-2005 at 08:02 AM.
    2005 Aspen White STi

if you were driving an evo you'd also be worrying about a roll cage at the drag strip with a stock turbo getting into 11's trapping 118mph. Nothing wrong w/evo's. awesome cars.
    I never said they weren't awesome cars....I just said they eat oil if you don't break'em in. Which is the truth.

So why should I be worried about them running 11s on a stock turbo? Somewhere on the planet, there are probably STis turning 11s on stock turbos.....maybe unlikely, but I'm sure they're out there.
    2005 Subaru WRX STi

I never said they weren't awesome cars....I just said they eat oil if you don't break'em in. Which is the truth.

So why should I be worried about them running 11s on a stock turbo? Somewhere on the planet, there are probably STis turning 11s on stock turbos.....maybe unlikely, but I'm sure they're out there.
    what you need to worry about is the rollcage. if you run 11's and dont have one, youre done. no more runs for you.

there are WRX's turning 11's on the vf39. no STi's with vf39's running 11's that im aware of.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.