What does a Sti need to take a E46 M3 from 65 mph roll - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on What does a Sti need to take a E46 M3 from 65 mph roll within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; so he wants to go from 60-65 mph roll. What gear should I be in? 3rd or 4th?...

Okay..

so he wants to go from 60-65 mph roll. What gear should I be in? 3rd or 4th?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by zigger
    so he wants to go from 60-65 mph roll. What gear should I be in? 3rd or 4th?
    his going from his sweet spot, he'll be at the top of 2nd where his car has his best power and will never fall out of his powerband. You wont be able to use ur powerband. Convince him lower, try 50 and get in 3rd. good luck, let us know what happens.

if i ever get my m3, i'll race any sti in chitown area that wants to race. BTW, i only race from a roll unless the sti doesn't launch.

oh btw, the m3 im looking at right now has dinan stage 3 chip, intake, and exhaust. good for 355hp or something. At least its a bit faster than stock, nothing crazy though...

peter
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx
    his going from his sweet spot, he'll be at the top of 2nd where his car has his best power and will never fall out of his powerband. You wont be able to use ur powerband. Convince him lower, try 50 and get in 3rd. good luck, let us know what happens.
    +1. If your stock, you are generally going to get beat from any roll on speed, but at those speeds I think you are going to get an even worse beating.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

i really hope your not stock or else you'll hate your car after that race, or you'll get mods.

Quote Originally Posted by ellinopedo182
    if i ever get my m3, i'll race any sti in chitown area that wants to race. BTW, i only race from a roll unless the sti doesn't launch.

oh btw, the m3 im looking at right now has dinan stage 3 chip, intake, and exhaust. good for 355hp or something. At least its a bit faster than stock, nothing crazy though...

peter
    like ive said before...im game.

STi vs M3

'04 PSM STi - modded (sr50+the works)
    '05 JGM RSX Type-S - stock

i know, youre always 'game'. Seriously, when I get it, well do a few rolling races... and maybe, a dig run... maybe, if you behave.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

i know, youre always 'game'. Seriously, when I get it, well do a few rolling races... and maybe, a dig run... maybe, if you behave.
    did you check his mod list?

You would need boost to keep up with him!

you guys should do it just for fun though and tape it
    Just call me Clark Kent

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    did you check his mod list?

You would need boost to keep up with him!

you guys should do it just for fun though and tape it

well the boost is what i shall get... maybe not.

I have seen his car,just seeing that fmic scared me more than enough.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500

well the boost is what i shall get... maybe not.

I have seen his car,just seeing that fmic scared me more than enough.
    dinan s/c > you
    Just call me Clark Kent

There were videos on here of a modded M3 losing (from a roll) to an STi with EM and a TBE. The owner, Tailspin, challenged Montreal M3 drivers in a forum. Hold on... I just checked, and the video links are down.
    N.E. F4
    Mods

I ran an E46 a few weeks ago in my stock 2005 STi. While I was babying it off the line, because I'm still not really good at driving it performance-wise, I got taken by about 1.5 cars. I'm not about to blow my awd with 5000rpm launches.

Anyway, he did beat me in that run. We ran again from a roll. I was in the top of 2nd gear and we nailed it. We were side by side. The shift into 3rd went well, but I tickled the rev limiter when I went to shift into 4th. I had depressed the clutch, but the revs still continued to climb between shifts for about 100-200rpm. After hitting the rev limiter, the power was pulled back hard, and that prettymuch ended the race. I just let off by that time. Prior to that incident, we were duking it out within about a front bumper....side by side. Electronic throttles suck.

As far as STis being slow at highway speeds, I haven't noticed that. 6th gear is prettymuch an overdrive gear. Downshifting to 5th, depending on how fast you are going, and it will give you a little bit of pep. Downshift to 4th, and get ready for takeoff.....of course depending on how fast you're going. I found my STi to be fine on a roll.

The only things I don't really like about the STi is the gearing. At 20mph I can run around in 3rd or 4th gear, which is fine, but the gears just cause the revs to be high, and I feel like I'm always going just a little bit faster than I need to be for a good downshift. For instance, if I were to downshift from 60mph into 4th gear, I'd probably be taching nearly 5000-6000rpms. I guess that's 3.91 gears for ya. I hear Evos have 4.50 gears, or something......

I hate that, and the clutch. On a hill, the clutch is really grabby, and I feel like I've gotta get the engine revved up to at least 3000-3500rpm to take off without the car drifting backwards, or stalling on a hill. After doing this 2 or 3 times, the clutch stinks to high hell. It's a real ***** if you're on a hill at a stop sign with cars in front of you. I never had this problem with my old VW GTI 1.8T.

Can someone give me some tips on taking off on a hill in this car smoothly without stinking the clutch to high hell?
    1994 Chevrolet B4C Camaro
    2005 Subaru WRX STi

I Support ClubWRX
    Same cars....along the mod path for the STi.

Stock against E46: From a roll around 20. About a car up to 120, then he slowly rolled by.

Catback exhaust: From a roll around 40. Stayed pretty much even up to about 130.

Stage 2, TBE, high flow filter: From a roll around 30: Kept pulling up to around 120. Had around 3 car lengths by then.

Summary: Don't believe it that an STi has no top end.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    Same cars....along the mod path for the STi.

Stock against E46: From a roll around 20. About a car up to 120, then he slowly rolled by.

Catback exhaust: From a roll around 40. Stayed pretty much even up to about 130.

Stage 2, TBE, high flow filter: From a roll around 30: Kept pulling up to around 120. Had around 3 car lengths by then.

Summary: Don't believe it that an STi has no top end.
    Awesome! Just curious....what rpm did you launch at to run that 12.97 stock....
    1994 Chevrolet B4C Camaro
    2005 Subaru WRX STi

dont be so afraid to launch high with a sti...if my 03 wrx can take 7 drag strip visits launching at 6k rpm with stage 2 on 5 visits, i'm sure a sti can.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast