why do you mod your car?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on why do you mod your car? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; just curious as to see peoples response. hobby, compete with others, run at track, just spare money laying around. this ...

why do you mod your car?

just curious as to see peoples response. hobby, compete with others, run at track, just spare money laying around. this is not an attack at all, just seeing what peoples reasons are
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I personally mod my car because I feel like there is a reasonable amount of performance that I can get out of the car without too much money. I also like knowing that I am not exactly like everybody else. I'm also a tinkerer so mods are fun for me to see how stuff works.

I build my own computers, fix my own bikes, wax my own snowboards, etc, etc.

tcc

Pug
    My reasons are about the same as chickencow's. For not a whole heck of a lot more money I can get a pretty decent increase in performance out of the car, and have more fun driving it!

I suppose there's also the aspect of personalizing your car, I like the idea of my car being different than the ones still parked at the dealer.

Banned
    Originally posted by thechickencow
    I personally mod my car because I feel like there is a reasonable amount of performance that I can get out of the car without too much money. I also like knowing that I am not exactly like everybody else. I'm also a tinkerer so mods are fun for me to see how stuff works.

tcc
    Who doesnt wax there own snowboard/ski?

Not attacking, just wondering.

As a form of personal expression. I know it sounds cheesy, but hey. I want to be just a bit different than the next guy.

Plus it's a sickness. I have to tinker with whatever I own. Computers, gadgets, cars, relationships...
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

p***s envy

j/k...but seriously, I mod my car because it is a hobby of mine. It keeps me busy...

~joe

1) I bought the car with the intention of doing some track time in it. My first mods were done with the objective of improving the handling. Then, I realized I needed more power and better brakes.

2) Helps me to learn more about the car if I do things to it. I have done more of my own work on this car than any other I've had for years. I used to work on my cars at first as a matter of necessity because they were used, prone to breakdowns and I didn't have much money. Then, I got lazy - didn't even change my own oil anymore. Now I'm getting back to it again with the WRX and enjoying it.

3) Seconding is2scooby's point, it individualizes it and puts a personal stamp on the car.
    Old, but not slow.

i mod the car to have the fastest car around here......granted there is everyone faster but in this town and surrounding towns i want to be the fastest......when i show up at the local races or just at a cruise or somthing peopl can stop and look at the car and say he timmy thats speed thats the fastest freaking car around here......that makes me feel good......but when it's track time i will loose to faster cars....hence the saying there is always someone faster
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Originally posted by thechickencow

tcc
    ditto here too (s/wax snowboard/grease and tune bike/). DIY and you learn a ton about whatever medium you are working on, be it car, computer, cooking (ill never master this one), etc... At first i thought the car rocked stock, but for little cash spending, you can increase the performance, customize the looks, and generally make the ride what you want it to be. Its like this one WRX my buddy took a picture of that was blaze yellow and done up as a rally car with decals, real roof cut scoop, and just generally looked sharp. Obviously the individual knew exactly what they wanted and modded the car to match.

-c
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

A modded wrx had a better price to performance ratio than most other cars I was looking at.

jb

I mod my car in the quest to make it better than when I bought it. I want better, stronger, faster. It's all about balance for me.
    Prodrive Headlight Conversion
    STi Front Grill
    Turbochargers.com Stage 1 Turbo Upgrade - T28 Compressor
    The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel
    Wagons Are Cool Check Out My Baby Here!

Yeah

As w/ many people above the WRX is the best $$$ vs. performance. I use to drive a 90 Accord w/ NO mods ... no rice thing. Then I switched over to the WRX and started to watch and learn about cars and there makeup ... uppipe, downpipe, midpipe, catback, turbo, MBC, manifold, ECU, etc ... I still have a long way to go. It's definitely a worth wild learning experience since it's more knowledge under my belt.
    I enjoy being "different" and it's something to do when you're not at work, no mountain biking, and no girl for the day. I have set my goal at 0-60 @ <3.9sec ... I just wanna know that my daily driver can do 0-60 @ 4sec easily ... just to know. Also it's a plus when you can pass ANYONE at anytime if you need to move through traffic.
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

It's just a bug that bites you. I remember always wanting to go racing when I was younger. When I was finally able to drive, I remember going to the strip for the first time and seeing what other guys did to their cars and seeing how fast their modded versions of my car were (then a stock 2nd gen RX-7). BAM! Hooked for life.
    I own various Miatas and RX-7's in race trim
    One or two of them actually run now :-)
    Soon to posess a Scooby...

i plan on doing it for some of the same reasons that most people want to do it. i dont like seeing another version of the same car and i want to add personal touch to it and also my goal is to break 12.5 sec 1/4 mi. but my ultimate goal is to break into the 11s.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

I Support ClubWRX
    Every single car I have owned I have put my personal touch on. It somewhat a hobby. But also a part of my personal expression. I have always been into performance cars ever since I was a kid. And I loved to get rides in my uncles modded out 80's RX7 and other acquantances fast cars. I just love to drive fast. I think it is part of the adrenaline rush. And partly because I am a male and have tesosterone flowing in my blood.

If there are parts out there on the market that you can buy to squeeze out every bit of horsepower and torque out of your car without effecting reliablility, then why not try some of these parts, and see for yourself.

Some people like their body kits or their wild paint jobs. I just like performance mods. Some people just can't understand why I keep spending so much money modifying my car and making it what I THINK the factory should have done in the first place. That's just me.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast