Evo Vs Sti Vs Ion Redline - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 62

This is a discussion on Evo Vs Sti Vs Ion Redline within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Silver04Sti not trying to come off as a **** but judging from your defense and fondness it ...

  1. #46
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver04Sti
    not trying to come off as a **** but judging from your defense and fondness it sounds like maybe should trade your rex in and change your name to joe-ion

    lol, I am not particularly fond of the Ion Redline, atleast no more than I am with any other car. I will defend any car that I feel is unjustly being ridiculed by people. You will come to find that I am quite willing to give respect where it is deserved, and defend what I feel is being unfairly portrayed by others.
    I see this ability of mine as being a gift of perception on my part and something that you apparently lack.. Whether it be because of lack of knowledge or just an old fashion bias, I am not sure. <no offense>
    Last edited by DTR rex; 04-25-2005 at 12:50 PM.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    84
    You know, the thing is owning cars like the evo or the sti automatically sets us up for stupid things like this to happen. Every Tom, **** and Harry that has any knowledge or interests in cars knows the potential of both the evo and sti. I can't drive my sti down the street without some kid provoking me to race him in his sh@tbox. They know they are going to lose, but more so they just want to see us run our cars and see what they can do, rather than read it in their monthly car magazine. Yesterday, I had two teenagers in a mid eighties oldsmobile reving at me. C'mon on. Last week I was driving down the local crusing street in st. louis just trying to get from point a to point b and a group of kids in in a pos chevy station wagon literally yelled out the passenger window "sir, will you please destroy us in your car." First off, I'm not old enough to be called sir and second, I'm not wasting my gas. Don't get me wrong, I have tried to provoke cars before just to see what they can do. I pulled up to a new gto yesterday at a redlight looking to run the cars, looked over and did my eyes deceive me, about a 75 year old lady was driving it(on a side note, I would love to know what the age of the oldest sti owner is.) So can a redline beat a sti, sure why not.

  4. #48
    Registered User Oneliner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    95
    I don't really care about the story, I'm still laughing at the guys prose. So descriptive I thought I was the one racing...

    I watch the turn signal like a hawk and ready myself. At this point theres so much adrenaline I can hardly see straight.

  5. #49
    Registered User WRX-ERROR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wilkes Barre, Pa
    Posts
    779
    I can totally see this happening. 1st off if the EVO and STi didn't spool up the ION is going to get the jump on them since the SC has no lag compaired to the turbo. By the time the EVO and STi hit 3000+rpm to spool up the turbos the ION could have a car on them.

    Also I wouldn't call the STi drive a bad driver right off the bat. Maybe he just didn't want to launch hard with the car. If it's new he might not want to toast the thing right away.

  6. #50
    Registered User subaru_crazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    878
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX-ERROR
    I can totally see this happening. 1st off if the EVO and STi didn't spool up the ION is going to get the jump on them since the SC has no lag compaired to the turbo. By the time the EVO and STi hit 3000+rpm to spool up the turbos the ION could have a car on them.

    Also I wouldn't call the STi drive a bad driver right off the bat. Maybe he just didn't want to launch hard with the car. If it's new he might not want to toast the thing right away.
    I don't know about any one else but when I test drove the STi there was no turbo lag at all, I started the car of second once or twice and it acted like I would have started from 1st. So I don't think that there is any lag in the STI someone please chime in on this? Another intresting bit is the first launch I tired I boged it but even before I knew it I was at 80mph. The STI is so dam fast, as propably the EVO as well.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

    Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

  7. #51
    Registered User Digitalfiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by subaru_crazy
    Another intresting bit is the first launch I tired I boged it but even before I knew it I was at 80mph. The STI is so dam fast, as propably the EVO as well.
    Yep. When you take off normally from a light, say from 1.5k RPM and then floor it, it only takes about a second for the power to really come on. I would estimate a rolling 5-60mph for the STi to be in the 5.5ish range, which is still pretty damn fast.
    2005 Aspen White STi

  8. #52
    Registered User S4toSTI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Posts
    378
    Until now i did not know that there evnm was a saturn forum
    Heaven is where the police are british, the chefs Italian, the mechanics German, the Lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, The chefs British, the mechanics French,the Lovers Swiss, and its all organized by the italians.
    Cobb Stage 2 Cattless FTW
    My Blobeye Syndicate #

  9. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX-ERROR
    I can totally see this happening. 1st off if the EVO and STi didn't spool up the ION is going to get the jump on them since the SC has no lag compaired to the turbo. By the time the EVO and STi hit 3000+rpm to spool up the turbos the ION could have a car on them.

    Also I wouldn't call the STi drive a bad driver right off the bat. Maybe he just didn't want to launch hard with the car. If it's new he might not want to toast the thing right away.
    The STi has virtually no spool time. Virtually no turbo lag.

  10. #54
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076
    Quote Originally Posted by subaru_crazy
    I don't know about any one else but when I test drove the STi there was no turbo lag at all, I started the car of second once or twice and it acted like I would have started from 1st. So I don't think that there is any lag in the STI someone please chime in on this? Another intresting bit is the first launch I tired I boged it but even before I knew it I was at 80mph. The STI is so dam fast, as propably the EVO as well.
    The STi does have a bit of lag, it is just much less noticable because of the .5L of extra displacement it has which creates more torque
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

  11. #55
    Registered User WRX-ERROR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wilkes Barre, Pa
    Posts
    779
    Quote Originally Posted by mx_9
    The STi has virtually no spool time. Virtually no turbo lag.
    Well I haven't driven the STi to confirm or deny it but I have yet to be in ANY car (Lotus included) that had no turbo lag. On the other hand I have been in many SC cars that came full boost from a dead stop. My WRX spools to full boost at around 3200rpm I don't see the STi being less then 2500rpm at which time the RL would be full boost long before it.

    Again I have never driven an STi so I just don't know.

  12. #56
    Registered User Silver04Sti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX-ERROR
    Again I have never driven an STi so I just don't know.
    Maybe you need to take a ride in one

    mash it to the floor in any of the low gears (1st, 2nd, and 3rd) and show me the lag. Compared to my old wrx (which had huge lag below 3000rpm's) I have never felt lag in my sti in the lower gears in almost two years of ownership.

    Sure, dump it in 6th and you'll see some serious lag but its just not there down low...especially WOT in 1st. I bet if you posted torque curves of an sti vs a wrx you'd see a HUGE difference in where the torque comes on (outside the fact that the sti's is much more linear).
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

    Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

  13. #57
    Registered User subaru_crazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    878
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    The STi does have a bit of lag, it is just much less noticable because of the .5L of extra displacement it has which creates more torque
    correct, I mean there has to be some lag but the .5 sure does make it much less noticeable which is what I meant, its definately not like the WRX where you, wait for it...wait for it.....NOW!
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

    Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

  14. #58
    Moderator Integra96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    16,989
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    The STi does have a bit of lag, it is just much less noticable because of the .5L of extra displacement it has which creates more torque
    It's nothing at all. There's just about as much lag there as in an N/A vehicle that doesn't start to make a lot of torque and power until 2,500+RPM. When it comes down to it, it's just the time needed for the engine to reach a certain speed...and in an STi, especially a catless one with EM...that's almost instant. I thought even a Stock Forester XT had pretty insane low-end response, but the stock 4.44s don't hurt that, either.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

  15. #59
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    It's nothing at all. There's just about as much lag there as in an N/A vehicle that doesn't start to make a lot of torque and power until 2,500+RPM. When it comes down to it, it's just the time needed for the engine to reach a certain speed...and in an STi, especially a catless one with EM...that's almost instant. I thought even a Stock Forester XT had pretty insane low-end response, but the stock 4.44s don't hurt that, either.
    Where the N/A torque "would" come in is irrelavant.
    The point is simply that the extra displacement allows for extra torque, and lag IS present. Albeit, much less so than in the wrx, but that is mostly due to the displacement. The VF39 spools no sooner than the TD04, in fact the TD04 spools up quicker because it a considerably smaller turbo.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

  16. #60
    Registered User creditcards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    san diego, california
    Posts
    762
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    It's nothing at all. There's just about as much lag there as in an N/A vehicle that doesn't start to make a lot of torque and power until 2,500+RPM. When it comes down to it, it's just the time needed for the engine to reach a certain speed...and in an STi, especially a catless one with EM...that's almost instant. I thought even a Stock Forester XT had pretty insane low-end response, but the stock 4.44s don't hurt that, either.
    yes,i have the forester xt and there is no lag at all.
    Yea tru love we can find ourselves
    I call our true identies
    Love ya brudda love ya sista
    Love everyone...the univeral sign
    Ill take it from here

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •