Evo Vs Sti Vs Ion Redline - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Evo Vs Sti Vs Ion Redline within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by DTR rex Give respect where respect is deserved. This econo car, turned sport sedan is not different ...

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    Give respect where respect is deserved. This econo car, turned sport sedan is not different than the idea behind the wrx.
    There is no comparison between a STi and a Redline, regardless if the STi is just a "souped up" Impreza.
    2005 Aspen White STi

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mball
    You mean that dumbass video where the guy in the Mercedes is filming the race with a camera while trying to drive? Thats the biggest bunch of **** I have ever seen You try to look down at a video camera and hold it straight while you drive and see how fast you go.
    Its actually not that hard I have done it in my car while taping my 0-60 run and i got 5.5 sec, so its doable, especially when the AMG is not a stick shift, so hes got his arm free to hold the wheel while the other to do the taping. Well actually its how skillfull you are but its definately much easier to do it in an automatic car. I've seen that vid and its just a straight run, not like some twisting rally inspired driving.

As for the STI not catching up till 60, by analyzing the facts, it think his story is plausable since he didn't launch. Although in his story he said he was getting passed hard but then he described like they were still in reach, I think he got passed hard but then just pulled the story on his side and made it look a lot closer then it really was.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Digitalfiend
    There is no comparison between a STi and a Redline, regardless if the STi is just a "souped up" Impreza.
    Don't be a fanboy. I love my car as much as the next subie owner, but I have no dillusions about the fact that my car is an econobox with enough power to scare the crap out of even exotic owners.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    dude, I am not going to argue back and forth about this... no offense Dave, you know I love you and all, but from your stance I am guessing you do not have very much experience with racing.

The STi decided not to launch, it is not his fault the driver cant launch. If you race a slower car, but still lose because you bogg the launch YOU STILL LOST. The STi was racing both times it seems, he just DID NOT KNOW HOW TO LAUNCH THE CAR. (dont take the caps as me yelling, but as a means of getting across more important aspects of my post).
    The first was probably not legit. He launched on 2 cars that didn't get to launch so he pulled.. the cars were faster and ended up making passing him about 50mph later. The second race both cars knew the race was on, the Evo driver launched on him and destroyed him (as he said) but the STi driver DID NOT launch, because either he didn't want to put the abuse on his car, or he didnt know how, but he was def. racing because he ended up passing the Redline, so obviously the STi driver was going full throttle from the line otherwise he would not have had the power to pass the Redline.

The Evo and STi are faster, no doubt. He never refuted that, he simply said that he beat an STi and Evo that didn't launch until 50mph where they passed him. He then said that the evo launched and wasted him, but the STi driver still did not launch and took until 60mph to pass him.

Its not an issue of which car is faster, its an issue of him beating the cars til 50mph because they did not launch, and him getting beaten by the evo when it did launch. You cant call BS on this... theres nothing to call bs on... he never mentioned it being a kill
    Relax.

The BS flag I threw up was in response to your earlier reply, not the guy's story. I never said I didn't believe the story. My objection was in regards to posting a worthless story and the guy implying that the Evo and STi were racing from the first light (they were "instigating" each other...).
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

wow, that went right over your head didn't it?

I am not comparing the difference between and STi and Redline. He made a reference to the redline being a factory performance enhanced econo car.. and that is EXACTLY what the wrx and STi are.. so to make a stab at the redline for being a version of an econo car is rather ridiculous, especially considering that the STi and WRX are the same thing.... (a factory enhanced car based off a base econo car).

I love my rex, but I dont have false perceptions of what it is and where it derives from
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    Relax.

The BS flag I threw up was in response to your earlier reply, not the guy's story. I never said I didn't believe the story. My objection was in regards to posting a worthless story and the guy implying that the Evo and STi were racing from the first light (they were "instigating" each other...).
    Sorry man, didn't mean to get worked up on you. I think you caught my point, and there was a bit of a miscommunication between us. I just really dislike when people read one post of something and make assumption of bs and other things of sort without analyzing the whole issue. <not directed at you, but at several others in this thread>
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96

OK, great. Why are you defending that guy's story? It doesn't count as beating somebody if they aren't racing or were just driving normally. I'd have a kill story every 10 minutes if those examples constituted a win. A Saturn Redline having multiple carlengths on an STi and Evo before they got through the intersection = Jap cars not racing, even if they decided to get on it a little bit later. That's like driving past a Porsche dealership and saying you took out their whole fleet...until one met up with you later and passed you. It's just not worth posting about.
    EXACTLY! This guys idea of racing closely mirrors my buddy who just bought a new 4 runner and calls me everytime he beats a wrx (3 now). The problem is that he sits at the light and dumps it on green on a unsuspecting wrx that doesn't even know they are racing then gets all excited with the wrx many cars back. Same thing with a new GT mustang where when the GT finally realized it was a race he had 3 cars to make up (which he did). I got a new term for this, "coward racing", that's what I'm gonna call it from now on.

And btw, from what I have seen the redline is a 14.8 second car in the 1/4 so a stock wrx would put a whipping on that car much less an sti if he actually gave the car some gas. Even if the sti didn't launch he should be able to reel in that car.
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

what do you think the wrx and STi is? They are merely beefed up versions of an econo car

I would not be so quick to judge the redline. It handles very well, has a nice interior, runs mid to high 14's and traps considerably higher than a stock wrx. Not to mention it costs a couple grand less. Give respect where respect is deserved. This econo car, turned sport sedan is not different than the idea behind the wrx.
    not trying to come off as a **** but judging from your defense and fondness it sounds like maybe should trade your rex in and change your name to joe-ion
    Last edited by Silver04Sti; 04-25-2005 at 05:44 AM.
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

wow guys, take a chill pill, like some of us said that guy was propably saying the truth, I been there done that..... which what I thought at the time was an M3, anyways... the guy was just trying to make himself feel better and from his point of view he did keep up but to him it was a race but was it really??? I DON'T THINK SO!, actually we would need to know the other side of the story from the STI guy or the EVO guy first he says that the evo, once he knew the race was on launched like mad and left him 3 cars back but then he was saying that he kept up through first gears( yeah right maybe the first time when they didn't know the SATURN wanted a piece of the action), the STI owner did not engage in the race, as it seems. There is no point in arguing over this

STI>>>>>>>>>SATURN no matter what someone says, period.
    Last edited by subaru_crazy; 04-25-2005 at 10:45 AM.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

Quote Originally Posted by MidKnight
    Don't be a fanboy. I love my car as much as the next subie owner, but I have no dillusions about the fact that my car is an econobox with enough power to scare the crap out of even exotic owners.
    I'm not being a fanboy. I have no delusions about the STi being based off a 4 door economy sedan. That doesn't make the STi an econobox though. The WRX and STi are anything but econoboxes. Perhaps they are based off of one but they certainly aren't one.

Maybe I've got my history wrong but didn't Subaru develop the Impreza chassis (and hence the WRX) specifically for the WRC? Aren't the "lesser" Impreza models just "detuned" (engine, suspension etc) versions of the WRX? If that is the case, Subaru didn't start with an "econobox" and just soup it up, it's the other way around.

Either way, I know my car is just a sports sedan and not a sports car and really I don't care.

wow, that went right over your head didn't it?

I am not comparing the difference between and STi and Redline. He made a reference to the redline being a factory performance enhanced econo car.. and that is EXACTLY what the wrx and STi are.. so to make a stab at the redline for being a version of an econo car is rather ridiculous, especially considering that the STi and WRX are the same thing.... (a factory enhanced car based off a base econo car).

I love my rex, but I dont have false perceptions of what it is and where it derives from
    No, it didn't go over my head. I just didn't articulate my first reply clearly. I didn't mean that there is no comparison between a STi and a Redline, performance wise, because that is obvious. What I meant was there is no real comparison between the Impreza-to-STi relationship as the Ion-to-Redline relationship. As I stated above, I always thought that Subaru developed the Impreza chassis for the rally and that the other versions of the Impreza are just detuned WRXs. Granted, over here with the various engine sizes, that relationship is a bit cloudy but I still thought the chassis was developed for the rally. So the WRX/STi are derived from the rally cars/chassis development whereas the Redline was derived from their Quad Coupe economy car. That's what I meant by no real comparison.

Personally, it doesn't matter what a car is derived from. As long as it nails it design goals, then it is a good car. The SRT-4 and Redline/CobaltSS are good examples of this (especially the SRT-4.)
    2005 Aspen White STi

I Support ClubWRX
    Anything can happen when racing. Keep in mind, the guy in the ION could have rolled up next to "Fadi the 14 second STI wonder"

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Anything can happen when racing. Keep in mind, the guy in the ION could have rolled up next to "Fadi the 14 second STI wonder"
    I have seen a number of 14 second STIs and 15 second WRXs at the track.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Oh I firmly believe that it is possible. The Redline isn't a slow car and since they probably launch at 2000ish RPMs, the Evo and STi probably didn't hear him preparing to launch. If you aren't ready to launch from a stop the STi does take a little to get going, especially when trying to catch a car that is gunning it.

Hell, I had a riced out Suzuki Aerio do the same thing to me at a light. I was just sitting there and as soon as the light changed, this Aerio, with about 2 or 3 passengers takes off from the light with a chirp. By the time I realized what was going on they were about 3 cars ahead and still going. So I floored it and was catching up very quickly but the speed was getting a little bit illegal and what did I really have to prove? So oh well, I got beat I guess.
    2005 Aspen White STi

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh I firmly believe that it is possible. The Redline isn't a slow car and since they probably launch at 2000ish RPMs, the Evo and STi probably didn't hear him preparing to launch. If you aren't ready to launch from a stop the STi does take a little to get going, especially when trying to catch a car that is gunning it.

Hell, I had a riced out Suzuki Aerio do the same thing to me at a light. I was just sitting there and as soon as the light changed, this Aerio, with about 2 or 3 passengers takes off from the light with a chirp. By the time I realized what was going on they were about 3 cars ahead and still going. So I floored it and was catching up very quickly but the speed was getting a little bit illegal and what did I really have to prove? So oh well, I got beat I guess.
    Off to the Aerio forums I go

Off to the Aerio forums I go
    Nooooooo
    2005 Aspen White STi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.