04 GTO vs 02 WRX

This is a discussion on 04 GTO vs 02 WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ended up being no contest... I had put my WRX back to stock, and traded it in yesterday for a ...

Exclamation 04 GTO vs 02 WRX

Ended up being no contest... I had put my WRX back to stock, and traded it in yesterday for a new 04 GTO 6spd with the 05 hood. I'll miss the AWD in the snow (drove the GTO in the rain this morning and with the traction control it was surprisingly quick off the line), and the flickability of the WRX; but the GTO is so much more refined along with the instant torque and the power of the LS1. I guess I'm an official Poncho Fan-Boy with two of them in the garage, eh?

WRX was great for me... 79,000 miles on the stock clutch and tranny, despite 2 events at Road America, 6 autocrosses, probably 40 passes down the 1/4 mile, aggressive street driving, towing my jetski in the summers... Never a mechanical problem with the powertrain or drivetrain. I'll miss it a bit!

Meanwhile, I plan to pop in here every once in awhile for the laughs and the insight. Got to keep up w/ how the Subarus are representing.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Congrats on your new GTO. Gotta love LS1 power plant.

I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats mang!!!

Good choice.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

pics?

t
    Nice choice. Get a beater suby for the winter.

Nice, you can get such a great deal on the 04 GTO's right now. Its the best performance bargin out there. A lot of people don't know that. The LS1 engine as you know kicks axx.

I met a guy the other day with an 04 GTO (looked stock except 05 hood ). He beat me by a few cars in a nice freindly race. At first he tried to pretend he was stock but I wasn't having any of that. He finally came clean with me. He had the usually bolt ons headers, etc with a cam. He told me he was trapping around 110 - 112 mph. It was quick.
    Last edited by SGOSWRX; 04-22-2005 at 12:32 PM.

Congrats on the new purchase
    You have quite a large deal of torque in your garage

so what will you drive in the winter?
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Smile

Thanks guys! I'll see how the stock tires do in the snow, otherwise it'll be a set of Blizzaks on the stock rims for the time between Dec 1 and Mar 1. That'll get me through the worst of it... No pics of it yet, but it looks like any other bright red GTO with the red/black interior and the 05 hood.

In our F-body club, there are now 5 of us with 04 GTO's, so I imagine the competitive bug to modify it will creep in sooner or later. Probably sooner since Pete just put a set of mild heads and a cam in his...

Althought I must admit that I found myself having to hold back from waving at the other WRX's that I saw today (old habits are hard to break!). I test drove a Legacy GT the other day, but that seemed even more bland than the GTO and just didn't do anything for me... I'd like to see what the STi's and WRX's end up looking like and having under the hood for their next redesign (pictures so far have made me go "bleah"...), so there's still hope for me to be part of the community again here in another year or two.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Dont let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.......Mullet chaser.....

BTW Thanks for the tow hitch advice.