Me vs 65 Mustang (Opinions Wanted)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Me vs 65 Mustang (Opinions Wanted) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok people, Ive thrown my hat into the ring with a 65 Mustang. Now I know this one is a ...

Question Me vs 65 Mustang (Opinions Wanted)

Ok people,

Ive thrown my hat into the ring with a 65 Mustang.
    Now I know this one is a 3 speed auto, with a 289 ci V8 - lightly modded, but beyond that, I know next to nothing about it/them.

Question is, how much money do you need to throw at them (if any) to be able to beat my 220 whp MY99 over a quarter mile?

Cheers

AB
    Silver Wagon Club

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i had a 68 mustang in hs:

289 bored out to 306 ci
    forged pistons/rods
    lunati cam
    edelbrock carb
    edelbrock performer rpm intake manifold
    world products heads with port/polish/3way valve job
    full length headers and 3 inch exhaust
    3 speed auto w/ 4500 stall converter
    b&m ratchet shifter
    4.10 richmond posi trac rearend
    15 x 8 inch rear wheels

only pulled like mid/high 13's....

hope this helps
    btw: just remember those cars were fast for their time , back when the boss 429 ran the 1/4 in 14.09 with 375 hp and a curb weight of 3800 lbs (0-60 in 7.1 incidently)
    Last edited by rexnprogress; 04-14-2005 at 08:52 PM.
    271whp/240wtq
    MODS
    mauromotorsports

schoolloans
    Quote Originally Posted by archiebrown
    Ok people,

Ive thrown my hat into the ring with a 65 Mustang.
    Now I know this one is a 3 speed auto, with a 289 ci V8 - lightly modded, but beyond that, I know next to nothing about it/them.

Question is, how much money do you need to throw at them (if any) to be able to beat my 220 whp MY99 over a quarter mile?

Cheers

AB
    With 220 whp in a light 99, you'll dog him. I had a 289 3 spd. It sounded fast, but was a dog. Like it was said, even the teh strongest muscle cars ran in the high 13's. A 289 3spd is not one of them...

Wicked. Thanks gents.

Turns out the Mustang is highly modded, bored out, blueprinted, stall converter and all the bells and whistles.
    Still - in subsequent conversations he is more willing to go driving through the twisties after he puts a supercharger on his E39 M5.

Now Im not even gonna ask for opinions on that.
    Silver Wagon Club

schoolloans
    Get him before the blower goes on...

Quote Originally Posted by archiebrown
    Wicked. Thanks gents.

Turns out the Mustang is highly modded, bored out, blueprinted, stall converter and all the bells and whistles.
    Still - in subsequent conversations he is more willing to go driving through the twisties after he puts a supercharger on his E39 M5.

Now Im not even gonna ask for opinions on that.

289's are not that much of a big deal.

My co-worker has a 1968 mustang coupe with a 289, full exhaust, rocker arms, electronic ignition, and other stuff i cant recall with a 3 speed manual. I have driven it and the torque is everywhere. Very fun car. But at the end of the day, car is much faster than hers.

You gotta watch out for the larger small-blocks and big-blocks. My boss has a 1970 Mach1 with a 351 Cleveland engine. I know he has the shaker hoodscoop intake system, exhaust, roller rocker arms, cam, electronic ignition, ported heads, aftermarket throttlebody, and a Hurst 4-speed. His car is a beast. It has really nice suspension, also. Its really scary when he takes a twisty going 40mph in a 35 year old car that i take going 35mph in my wrx

dont mess with a Boss 302/427
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

Quote Originally Posted by hellafastWRX
    aftermarket throttlebody
    You mean a carb or did he put a FI motor in it?

Depending on how much internal work was done to that 289, you might have a problem. But I doubt it, my WRX (when it was stock) could run dead even with my '66 and it has: 302 roller cam motor, E-cam, ported stock heads, Edelbrock intake, Holley 600 carb, elec ignition, long tube headers, 2.5' exhaust, & a built C4. Their weight definately holds them back.

Not a prob i say, we did work to a 69, with a 289 bored i dont remeber how much over, preaty agreasive cam's, edlebrock intake, carb, custom exhaust with a H pipe, all the goodies to go with it and was a dog compared to the scooby. But it was a beautiful car, and sounded Awsome!
    Will #1
    LISC #2

Quote Originally Posted by scoobie1
    You mean a carb or did he put a FI motor in it?

holly carb. brain fart
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cheveyboy
    ... over, preaty agreasive cam's...

you mean 'pretty aggressive cam', right?
    271whp/240wtq
    MODS
    mauromotorsports

yea yea, as you can see english wasnt my major.
    Will #1
    LISC #2

just makin sure it wasnt a new motor in an old car...

although i did see an FI 5.0 out of a foxbody in a 65 once
    271whp/240wtq
    MODS
    mauromotorsports

My first car was a 68 mustang it had a 302ci (first year it came out but not the BOSS) with 215 hp. It was loaded, ac, power this and power that. It would get to 50mph in 6 seconds. It was kind of quick but had no top end. I'm sure it would have done better without all the accesories. Be leary from stuff maid before 1972 like the Mach1 and such like stated in above post.
    Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Steven Wright

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.