WRX vs M5 and M3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs M5 and M3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Don't get all excited it was not much of a race. I was comming home from work at a light ...

WRX vs M5 and M3

Don't get all excited it was not much of a race. I was comming home from work at a light in morristown and i look to my left and there is a nice white E46 M3, i notice to my right a white bmw pull up but it stopped a half car back and i could only tell it was a 5 series. As the opposite light turned orange i noticed the M3 creeping up so i thought i would give it a shot. I reved it up and slipped the clutch out for what was the best launch i have ever had with my WRX. I pushed 1st out and shifted into second and i noticed the M3 was a good 4 cars back, guess he didn't want to race. I then noticed the white bmw that was on my right was only a half car behind me. He cruised by me and the M5 badge sparkled in the sun. I don't know if he was trying or not, but he had an extra passenger and i got a perfect launch and i shut it down at 40 or so he was about 1/2 car back at that point. Either way it was coo having a white M3 on one side of me and a white M5 on the other at a stoplight. What are the chances?

Anyway could a WRX keep up from 0-40 with a M5 if you get a perfect launch and the M5 has an extra passenger?
    Last edited by elohdaeh78; 04-14-2005 at 08:53 AM.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

AWD launch > RWD launch

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78

Anyway could a WRX keep up from 0-40 with a M5 if you get a perfect launch and the M5 has an extra passenger?
    It depends. If both got a great launches the wrx would hold it off til about 3-40mph, but around that point is where the M5 would catch up, and by 45-50 it would be pulling hard and not letting up anytime soon. The M5 has a much better 0-60 than the WRX, so my guess is that you it wouldn't pass you til about 40mph or so.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

After second the M5 will blow you by.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

Quote Originally Posted by TurboWill
    Both the M5 and the M3.
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Shaitiger
    Both the M5 and the M3.
    +1
    '03 PSM WRX Stg 4 <---SOLD
    '04 G35 coupe<-----MY NEW CAR

Quote Originally Posted by TurboWill
    Well i know they both would have creamed me eventually, i was just not sure how long a WRX can hold them off.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

nice kill.

people who drive m5s don't have to worry about pesky little things like "extra passengers".

(e39 m5 = my dream ride)

M5

my father has a 2000 M5 and it's hard to imagine it having much trouble disposing of a WRX. he's getting the new one soon... i can't imagine what 100 more hp will be like in that car.

one of his other cars is a 66 shelby cobra replica. it has a 460 bored to 468. puts out somewhere around 600hp and weighs around 2300lbs. almost definitely the fastest car (in a semi straight line) that i'll ever drive (keeping my hopes up).

as far as the new M5... anyone have an idea of how BMW is justifying the $10k+ increase in price? (besides the obvious "cause they can")

Quote Originally Posted by protocol0
    people who drive m5s don't have to worry about pesky little things like "extra passengers".

(e39 m5 = my dream ride)
    for shizzle.

may that hike in the price is courtesy of that ground pounding v10, that would be my guess

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78
    Well i know they both would have creamed me eventually, i was just not sure how long a WRX can hold them off.
    It all depends on the road condition. On a slicker road, the M5 can't apply full power until 2nd gear. The WRX with keep its lead longer, deep into second, or hopefully until you turn your blinkers on. But if the M5 gets traction and is on full throttle in 1st, The blinkers need to be on before 1st runs out. Above 40 its nice to see a fast car accelerate .

Quote Originally Posted by Mid117
    AWD launch > RWD launch
    Not always.
    Sticky tires+built drivetrain+ 5K clutch dump on a RWD setup evens things up.
    2005 SAAB 9-2x - Stage II

Quote Originally Posted by madmmt
    It all depends on the road condition. On a slicker road, the M5 can't apply full power until 2nd gear. The WRX with keep its lead longer, deep into second, or hopefully until you turn your blinkers on. But if the M5 gets traction and is on full throttle in 1st, The blinkers need to be on before 1st runs out. Above 40 its nice to see a fast car accelerate .
    at the same time you could say the wrx could beat any front or rear wheel drive car in 4 inches of snow... but that's not really saying anything. optimal situations for acceleration in both cars is a clean, dry surface and those conditions should be assumed when doing a straight comparison of acceleration. you could even assume tire grip isn't a factor. put slicks on all wheels.

if you talk about "slick" roads and such when comparing a wrx to an M5 you're going to have people running around in the rain trying to find cars faster than theirs with only two driven wheels.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.