WRX vs M5 and M3 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on WRX vs M5 and M3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by SouthFL_9-2x Not always. Sticky tires+built drivetrain+ 5K clutch dump on a RWD setup evens things up. i ...

Quote Originally Posted by SouthFL_9-2x
    Not always.
    Sticky tires+built drivetrain+ 5K clutch dump on a RWD setup evens things up.

i think a set of 325+ in the rear would help a bit too

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SouthFL_9-2x
    Not always.
    Sticky tires+built drivetrain+ 5K clutch dump on a RWD setup evens things up.
    x2
    1994 Talon TSi - SMIC, 16G and Bolt Ons - Awaiting More Fuel and Tune
    2000 B5 GLS 1.8T Every Bolt On + Tuned GT28RS - R.I.P

M5 does have good amount of hp & tq but it weighs ~4,000 lbs., pretty heavy car.

Quote Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
    M5 does have good amount of hp & tq but it weighs ~4,000 lbs., pretty heavy car.
    yeah, it's definitely a heavy car but if you think about it the power to weight ratio is only 1:10. a wrx sedan would have to mod up to 300hp just to come close.

Quote Originally Posted by SugerMan
    yeah, it's definitely a heavy car but if you think about it the power to weight ratio is only 1:10. a wrx sedan would have to mod up to 300hp just to come close.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78
    Anyway could a WRX keep up from 0-40 with a M5 if you get a perfect launch and the M5 has an extra passenger?
    Well here is the real deal.

My WRX with my stage 2 mods. Up-pipe/TBE APS 11 lbs flywheel-stage 2 clutch, TurboXS EM, Boost set at 18 psi till redline, samco y-pipe/intake replacement hoses, snorkle removed, and bunch of other little $hit.

Our 01 M5 mods- Steve Dinan Engine Management, UUC tranny work, Full SuperSprint exhaust w/X pipe, Intakes w/built dual 4 inch Ram Air induction. nice little setup, Brembo Big brake kit, fully adjustable shocks w/coil overs, up and lower front and rear sways, 18 " ssr 265 in the front ssr 18' 315 in the back. and bunch of other little things.

From a dig I can hold him off till about 100 MPH then he pulls on me really really hard.

From a roll:

40 MPH I pull a 1/2 car on him at the jump then he pulls 2 -4 cars on me by 120

60 MPH Even for the first 5seconds then he is just gone. (good speed here for the M5 its in the meat of his RPM range)

100 MPH he pulls on me from start to finish. I cant say where we shutdown at since my speed'o only goes to 140 and he wasnt looking at his. lol

Now i have been flashing my own ECU latley and kind of pushing the edge with a few of my maps. one of my maps I loaded I ran 22 PSI, ( i only ran it for about 8 hours then heard my engine knocking.. lol ) and I ofcourse do much better. I will either be sellin my WRX soon or buying a 2.5 to swap. After my learning curve with my ECU flashing I may have a tiny bit of damage. lol He has a new digital cam so we will try in the next few days to get a couple of good runs on tape..
    Last edited by enash99; 10-16-2006 at 09:08 AM.
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

Quote Originally Posted by enash99
    Well here is the real deal.

My WRX with my stage 2 mods. Up-pipe/TBE APS 11 lbs flywheel-stage 2 clutch, TurboXS EM, Boost set at 18 psi till redline, samco y-pipe/intake replacement hoses, snorkle removed, and bunch of other little $hit.

Our 01 M5 mods- Steve Dinan Engine Management, UUC tranny work, Full SuperSprint exhaust w/X pipe, Intakes w/built dual 4 inch Ram Air induction. nice little setup, Brembo Big brake kit, fully adjustable shocks w/coil overs, up and lower front and rear sways, 18 " ssr 265 in the front ssr 18' 315 in the back. and bunch of other little things.

From a dig I can hold him off till about 100 MPH then he pulls on me really really hard.

From a roll:

40 MPH I pull a 1/2 car on him at the jump then he pulls 2 -4 cars on me by 120

60 MPH Even for the first 5seconds then he is just gone. (good speed here for the M5 its in the meat of his RPM range)

100 MPH he pulls on me from start to finish. I cant say where we shutdown at since my speed'o only goes to 140 and he wasnt looking at his. lol

Now i have been flashing my own ECU latley and kind of pushing the edge with a few of my maps. one of my maps I loaded I ran 22 PSI, ( i only ran it for about 8 hours then heard my engine knocking.. lol ) and I ofcourse do much better. I will either be sellin my WRX soon or buying a 2.5 to swap. After my learning curve with my ECU flashing I may have a tiny bit of damage. lol He has a new digital cam so we will try in the next few days to get a couple of good runs on tape..
    I am suprised you can hold him off to 100 mph from a dig. I wonder what the race would be like if he was stock. Do the mods he have make a big difference in performance?
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

ok guys, we all have wrx's and woudl really liek to think we can put up a fight against m3's and m5's, but the truth is we can't, my friend has an 04 m3 and its just absolutely rediculous, under no circumstances can i say i think e have a chance... altho i did take an m3 in a race but it must have been no longer than up to a like 55mph zone before the merge, and i had the inner lane so i only had to pull as hard into 3rd and no harder then the m3, sorry guyz, i love my rex... but i know that any m3 or m5 wil rape us in quarter milse and ****
    holla atchya boy!

Quote Originally Posted by madmmt
    It all depends on the road condition. On a slicker road, the M5 can't apply full power until 2nd gear. The WRX with keep its lead longer, deep into second, or hopefully until you turn your blinkers on. But if the M5 gets traction and is on full throttle in 1st, The blinkers need to be on before 1st runs out. Above 40 its nice to see a fast car accelerate .

Well I drive an 01 M5 all the time, and with a stock clutch having sport mode on with traction off there is no way you can apply FULL power with out really wearing on your clutch, and at 1500 everytime BMW changes your clutch its expensive. BMW specfically has this as a failure point in the drivetrain. You have to be completely in 2nd with traction off and sport on. My 0-60 time in the WRX is FASTER than in the M5, only because we dont want to burn up clutches all the time. If someone buys me a clutch Ill go put it in and grab the video camera and show you what it can do. I run low 8's in the 1/8th mile and the M5 runs high to mid 8's. The big difference here i think is that we choose to launch the M5 much easier than the WRX. Thus the M5 has alot more ground to make up. ( I need a money tree if I want to really launch it )

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78
    I am suprised you can hold him off to 100 mph from a dig. I wonder what the race would be like if he was stock. Do the mods he have make a big difference in performance?

This is just our experience. When I mean hold him off I dont mean that he is tailing behind me. From the dig the wrx gets the lead and he is pulling it in the entire way so by the time we hit near 100 he is nose to nose and passing. So he had to real me in and then pass me. Drivers are also a BIG issue here. A better driver in either car makes all the differance. Ill give someone that has never really drive a car the M5 and I bet I smoke him in the 1/4 in the WRX. I know this is a bloated example but I drive both of these cars all the time and know the strenghts of each one. The M5 is a monster but It doesnt pull away like i am sitting still which has been stated in most of these post. Our M5 has other weighted items in the car as well with the addition of amps subs box etc.. but there has also been an increase in power as well, and we have seen a nice gain in performance. In the 1/4 its better than a WRX sure. here is an example, I was in the M5 and got SMOKED my a 97 M3 turbo. And when I say smoked I mean from the green light it was all tail lights.. If I had the room I could have pulled him in. Our car is drag limited in the 190MPH range. I havent taken it there yet but we have been very close.

Hers a link to the new AC/Schnitzer M5

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58947
    Last edited by enash99; 12-22-2005 at 12:52 PM.
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

you were running 22psi on the stock turbo???

you must be kidding!!! your turbo is shot d00d.

Quote Originally Posted by ODiz413
    ok guys, we all have wrx's and woudl really liek to think we can put up a fight against m3's and m5's, but the truth is we can't, my friend has an 04 m3 and its just absolutely rediculous, under no circumstances can i say i think e have a chance... altho i did take an m3 in a race but it must have been no longer than up to a like 55mph zone before the merge, and i had the inner lane so i only had to pull as hard into 3rd and no harder then the m3, sorry guyz, i love my rex... but i know that any m3 or m5 wil rape us in quarter milse and ****

I have smoked every single M3 I have raced.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxaddicted
    you were running 22psi on the stock turbo???

you must be kidding!!! your turbo is shot d00d.

Yep Its an old turbo i honestly do not care about its condition.. I wouldnt have done this if I was trying to maintain it correctly.. I did this as more of lets see what will happen =)
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12