ESX STI vs. FQ Series Evo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on ESX STI vs. FQ Series Evo within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have been wondering about this for some time now. Will the ESX edition STI be able to take out ...

ESX STI vs. FQ Series Evo

I have been wondering about this for some time now. Will the ESX edition STI be able to take out a fq400 evo in the 1/4 mile and a road course? My logical thinking is yes, just by the crank hp in each car, but I havent seen any dynos of the fq400 or the esx.
    Last edited by roo21; 04-13-2005 at 08:46 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm sure that will be decided pretty soon. But then again, those FQ's are pretty *****in quick.

(pun intended)
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Fq Vs Spec C

Thy already compared the spec c and fq400 and the spec won.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy
    If you're talking about the article from SportCompact it was an FQ300. It said that the spec C won out in the curves because it actually allowed you to drive the car, rather than the car driving/thinking for you...or something along those lines.

J-H
    My understanding was that the ESX car came with like 350 crank HP and the Evo had 400 crank HP.....that there should be enough to figure out which one is faster straight line...

My car sounds like a LIGER.......ERZ + SPT = LOUD......pretty much one of my favorite sounds.....

JH

J-H
    Nevermind, just checked their site out...

365hp
    425hp

Should be close I guess.....

My car sounds like a LIGER.......ERZ + SPT = LOUD......pretty much one of my favorite sounds.....

JH

im sure the 425 hp esx sti will take the evo on the straight line but i still bet the evo will do better around a road track. They will both probably run low 12's stock(if thats what you wanna call it).

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy
    That was not an FQ-400 sorry.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

esx should be in the 11's in the quarter mile, so it would be faster. lets hope subaru retunes the suspension so its better in the twisties.

The Great Britain Mitsubishi importing center got in huge trouble in regards to regulations when bringing the FQ400 over to the US, now you can't get the FQ400 anymore, well it's pretty easy to mimic mod for mod, but the FQ400 has warranty. I think straight line, the FQ400 will win, but around the track it depends on the driver.
    Have a Greddy Evo 2 cat-back Exhaust system, willing to trade for: Greddy Ti, Apex'I N1, or Apex;I GT cat-backs. California only! PM if interested!

Looking at around 425 crank horsepower for the ESX and the 23% drivetrain loss shown on STi's you're looking at around 327 whp. I've not seen a WRX/STi with that much power doing any better than mid/low 12s. I've got around that and I've only run a 12.6.

IMO the Evo's gearing is better for drag and it will go faster. Although I do not know if the FQ has the 6 speed and I'm sure the gearing is different for that...hopefully it's not as short as the STi.

In drag racing the STi 6 spd is KILLING our times.
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

how much drivetrain loss has been shown in the Evo?

Better be sure that FQ400 is in boost because if it isn't a stock civic could walk all over it. Terrible lag, you have to have it at what like 4500-5000rpm for it to be in boost?
    You might be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Quote Originally Posted by roo21
    how much drivetrain loss has been shown in the Evo?

Last I heard it was 18-20%
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

That is, if you go with the percentage loss theory of thought. It seems to me that drivetrain loss should be relatively constant for a given crank horsepower, or if anything, logarithmic. Drivetrain loss is a result of heat and friction. If a 250 HP car loses 58 HP to the drivetrain (23% loss), how does it make sense that if the engine is bumped up to 500 HP, the drivetrain is suddenly eating up 116 HP? Same drivetrain, with the same gears and axles, turning the same wheels, yet suddenly it takes twice the power just to turn everything? Doesn't add up. Of course, more power would logically equate to slightly increased heat, and possibly friction, but double as much? So, really, I don't think that guessing WHP numbers based on approximate percentage drivetrain loss of lesser-powered models is very accurate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast