04 STi vs 350Z and vs Turbo Protege
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 04 STi vs 350Z and vs Turbo Protege within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well I actually got two races!!! This is a very rare occurence for me because everytime I think I am ...

04 STi vs 350Z and vs Turbo Protege

Well I actually got two races!!! This is a very rare occurence for me because everytime I think I am about to get one, the other car turns off at the last second.

First Race
    Anyway, my first race was last night against a 350Z Convertible with at least an exhaust. We both were at a light, with one car inbetween us (4 lane road) and I was pretty sure that he was going to go at green, but I didnt want to risk looking like an ass and launching if I was going to end up racing myself. When the light went green I had my radio turned down and I immediately heard his engine and saw the nose of his car started to pass my window fast... so this is when I decided it was GO TIME. I was already taking off slowely, but I immediatly slammed the gas down in first, ran it out and shifted to 2nd, 3rd, 4th and finally fifth. On every damn shift I hit fuel cut ... mainly because I was paying too much attention to where he was behind me rather then my gauges and the road ahead. At 100mph I was at least 3-5 cars in the lead.
    I know I would have really laid the smack down if I had actually shifted when I should have (instead of always getting cut) and launching the car... but like I said before, I didnt want to end up launching if he decided not to go. If I was more focused on racing him, I dont know how much I would have beat him, but it would be nice to know.

Second Race
    This one took place this morning on the highway. It was me against this turbo protege that I have seen once before. He has the intercooler in the front, CF hood and it looks nice. When I saw him last, I noticed that his car was really fast, but I didn't know how it compared to mine. So I look in my mirror and see him coming up really quickly (trying to catch up to me and pass me). He gets to my side and the cars ahead of us clear up so we go at 60mph. I dont know how much HP he might have had, but from the moment we went, he was gone... er I was gone. I put numerous car lengths between us from 60-120mph, so many that I could even say bus lengths.
    Anyway, they seemed like cool guys, they pulled up to me and gave me the thumbs up.

It was a fun two races. I am a COBB stage 2 STi, with a helix catted DP on 93 octane. I wish I could have had a real one on one race with that z, but for my slow ass start and terrible shifting I am pretty happy with the results.

OT: Something I noticed was that whenever I am shifting into 5th at high speeds, I always get a GRIIIIIND!!! Anyone else have this?? Am I shifting too fast?
    Last edited by Padge; 04-13-2005 at 05:22 AM.
    Patrick
    2004 Java Black STi
    COBB Stage II
    Invidia G200 Exhaust
    Helix Catted downpipe
    K+N Typhoon Intake
    Tanabe GF210 Springs

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice runs. As for the shift into 5th, it's not so much too fast as the timing of your clutch and shifting. It's the longest throw on our shifter, so you are probably releasing the clutch just a bit to quickly. I did it the first few times at the track but now no problem at all. IMO, better to grind then accidentally hit 3rd.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Gotcha... Ill have to be more careful next time!
    Patrick
    2004 Java Black STi
    COBB Stage II
    Invidia G200 Exhaust
    Helix Catted downpipe
    K+N Typhoon Intake
    Tanabe GF210 Springs

I drive a Mazdaspeed Protege. Most of the guys, who *try* to keep it reliable, are running about 220whp max before looking at turbo upgrades, pistons, rods and better engine management...

The car is a blast, but its not enough to hang with a stock STI, much less a modded one without serious tuning.

^^ Thanks for the input... so most likely 220whp? That is pretty impressive.

There is a nice orange one (same color as yours) that cruises around where I live with a turbo kit too... we had a chance to race but he turned off the road just when I thought we were going to go.
    Patrick
    2004 Java Black STi
    COBB Stage II
    Invidia G200 Exhaust
    Helix Catted downpipe
    K+N Typhoon Intake
    Tanabe GF210 Springs

I Support ClubWRX
    I probably know the guy...we have 2 tubo MS Protege's in our club...both with CF hoods, one is sponsored by GT Spec, the other isn't. Both are very clean rides.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Padge
    ^^ Thanks for the input... so most likely 220whp? That is pretty impressive.

There is a nice orange one (same color as yours) that cruises around where I live with a turbo kit too... we had a chance to race but he turned off the road just when I thought we were going to go.
    They're factory turbos, actually. Mazda, as a send off for the protege model, had 1700 2003's and 2300 2003.5's turned into Mazdaspeed editions.

Orange and black were the colors for 03 and blue, yellow, titanium and silver were colors for 03.5.

Stock they got a 170hp turbo 2.0L from Calloway and a Racing Beat suspension and a limited slip differential. Power is adquate, though most here would consider their power underwhelming.

The motor is a stock protege motor with a turbo kit. Weak weak weak internals. If the one you saw had a FMIC, he's probably got a CAI, Boost controller and a turbo back. At 10psi, you're in the 210 to 220whp range, but you're taking a big risk that something will go boom.

The car was really designed to handle, which it does very well, and not for great power.

The guys who are getting 300hp+ are doing forged internals, bigger turbos like a GT28 and a stand alone engine managment system.

There was a madman who ran 16 or 18psi (stock psi is 6.5) on an otherwise stock motor that had a run in with one of the STI's on this board and he did quite well. He ended up tossing a rod or melting a ring or something a few months later.

Well it could be possible that you know both of the protege's I have run into... one is orange and one is silver, but both have intercoolers and CF hoods. Ive seen the orange one all the time around Newark and the silver one I only run into around Wilmington.

OT: Scott, did you get my PM?
    Patrick
    2004 Java Black STi
    COBB Stage II
    Invidia G200 Exhaust
    Helix Catted downpipe
    K+N Typhoon Intake
    Tanabe GF210 Springs

nice kill
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

THOSE Mazda's are SUCH crap. They have the WORST turbo system.

1st they use a T-25 which is SMALL and can't hold boost on ANY moter yet you get full spool by 2200RPM's so you get a LOT of torque.

2nd the motor is NOT built, same crappy weak motor from the factory they simply lowered the compression

3rd trhey used plastic IC piping and a CRAPPY SMIC.

This car would need everything built just to run properly, may as well get a Honda.

My STi had the same problem. Very bad grinding going into 5th gear at high rpm. Many STi owners have had tranny replacement because of this problem. Yes, it can be fixed.
    I've spoken to several STi owners that have gotten the new trannys. No grinding at all going into 5th in race situations.

Well I hope I really dont need to get it fixed Hopeully it is just my timing is off because of the longer throw.
    Patrick
    2004 Java Black STi
    COBB Stage II
    Invidia G200 Exhaust
    Helix Catted downpipe
    K+N Typhoon Intake
    Tanabe GF210 Springs

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold
    I drive a Mazdaspeed Protege. Most of the guys, who *try* to keep it reliable, are running about 220whp max before looking at turbo upgrades, pistons, rods and better engine management...

The car is a blast, but its not enough to hang with a stock STI, much less a modded one without serious tuning.
    how much does the car weigh?

220whp is pretty good! A guy I hung out with a few times had one with bolt on's and his car was running pretty strong. He said it was running consistant low - mid 14's with decent trap speeds (not sure what though). The handled AMAZINGLY as well. I think he said he was making like 205whp
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by TSi AWD
    THOSE Mazda's are SUCH crap. They have the WORST turbo system.

1st they use a T-25 which is SMALL and can't hold boost on ANY moter yet you get full spool by 2200RPM's so you get a LOT of torque.

2nd the motor is NOT built, same crappy weak motor from the factory they simply lowered the compression

3rd trhey used plastic IC piping and a CRAPPY SMIC.

This car would need everything built just to run properly, may as well get a Honda.
    I don't really think its fair to call the car crap because the motor can't hold 250hp. There are a number of aspects where the car shines.

I'm not refuting your points if you're concerned about max power, yes, some of your points are very valid. You don't buy a MSP for brute power. The fact that some people try to make draggers out of them always eludes me.

If you want terfiffic handling and immediate turbo response for tight Autocross courses, it's perfect. Go ask the stock WRX'rs who get schooled by stock MSP's in autocross events.

Different strokes for different folks...

You're dead on about the motor, though. I really wish they'd spent the extra dollars and paid some attention to fortifying it a little. The crappy engine management is really the larger issue, though. It runs pig rich, since they're trying to avoid any detonation on a weak motor.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    how much does the car weigh?

220whp is pretty good! A guy I hung out with a few times had one with bolt on's and his car was running pretty strong. He said it was running consistant low - mid 14's with decent trap speeds (not sure what though). The handled AMAZINGLY as well. I think he said he was making like 205whp
    Factory curb weight is 2807lbs. Yeah, 220whp is the upper limit without spending lots of money. It's not really reliable at that power level either. I'm leaving mine at stock boost and upgrading exhaust, intake and better SMIC.

*Supposedly* that is good for about 180 to 190whp at stock boost. That's not why I'm doing it, though. Just trying to bring intake temps down to safer levels.

Handling is where it's at with that car. That 200whp level that your friend is at is a common power level for guys with an intake / exhaust / intercooler and boost controller who haven't gone wild with the boost.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast