04 STi vs 350Z and vs Turbo Protege - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 42

This is a discussion on 04 STi vs 350Z and vs Turbo Protege within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Go ask the stock WRX'rs who get schooled by stock MSP's in autocross events. You beat the Driver, not the ...

  1. #16
    Banned TSi AWD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    845
    Go ask the stock WRX'rs who get schooled by stock MSP's in autocross events.
    You beat the Driver, not the car . That's what's so great about auto X I have seen stock Miata's school Lambo's in the same way. The Mazda speed is a GREAT handling car, no doubt in my mind. But its turbo engine just stinks. Can't hold power or real boost and uses IMHO the WORST turbo one can use UNLESS it is the 1st of 2 turbos used in a TT setup. These turbos have trouble cracking mid 13's on AWD DSM's with MANY mods and tuning. It can't properly fill a FMIC eaither with only 280CFM's. It can't hold any significant boost up top and only aids in detonation since it is so innefficient, I should know, my TSI AWD had one and it was scrapped ASAP. IT DOES However spool instantly, best ever, probably just as fast a a Centrifugal supercharger. AS soon as you upgrade the turbo, IC, Piping, fuel, and tuning, your engine will blow to pieces, so you need to mod EVERYTHING to make decient power. Nice car, don't get me wrong, but needs $$$$$$$ Just to get on par with many other cars.


    If you want terfiffic handling and immediate turbo response for tight Autocross courses, it's perfect.
    I agree, I just can't get past the fact that it makes less power then many NA 4's in the market.


    I bet you can get 220WHP out of it and that should move it nicely to a stock SRT-4 territory.
    Last edited by TSi AWD; 04-13-2005 at 10:24 AM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Registered User Griswold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Salem, MA
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by TSi AWD
    You beat the Driver, not the car . That's what's so great about auto X I have seen stock Miata's school Lambo's in the same way. The Mazda speed is a GREAT handling car, no doubt in my mind. But its turbo engine just stinks. Can't hold power or real boost and uses IMHO the WORST turbo one can use UNLESS it is the 1st of 2 turbos used in a TT setup. These turbos have trouble cracking mid 13's on AWD DSM's with MANY mods and tuning. It can't properly fill a FMIC eaither with only 280CFM's. It can't hold any significant boost up top and only aids in detonation since it is so innefficient, I should know, my TSI AWD had one and it was scrapped ASAP. IT DOES However spool instantly, best ever, probably just as fast a a Centrifugal supercharger. AS soon as you upgrade the turbo, IC, Piping, fuel, and tuning, your engine will blow to pieces, so you need to mod EVERYTHING to make decient power. Nice car, don't get me wrong, but needs $$$$$$$ Just to get on par with many other cars.

    I agree, I just can't get past the fact that it makes less power then many NA 4's in the market.


    I bet you can get 220WHP out of it and that should move it nicely to a stock SRT-4 territory.

    Yep, agreed. I guess it has to do with what the ultimate goal is for the car. Mine is to use it as a corner carver, not a straight line car. Besides, being FWD, I'm not even sure I'd want more than 200hp, crank...

    For me, it's a cheap, fun, daily driver / autocross car. In that capacity, it's a blast.

    Also, bear in mind I'm coming from a modded A4 1.8T, which while nice to drive and reasonably quick, was heavy, heavy, heavy!!! Do miss the motor, though. Lots of potential there.

  4. #18
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,238
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Padge
    Well it could be possible that you know both of the protege's I have run into... one is orange and one is silver, but both have intercoolers and CF hoods. Ive seen the orange one all the time around Newark and the silver one I only run into around Wilmington.

    OT: Scott, did you get my PM?
    Last one I got was when you used the GTech Pro? I replied to that one...nothing since then?
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

  5. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    103
    Padge you should set your factory tach warning light and beeper, it helps in situations like that

  6. #20
    Registered User prspect06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Land of the Kings
    Posts
    750
    smic?

  7. #21
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076
    Quote Originally Posted by TSi AWD
    You beat the Driver, not the car .
    not really.... driver aside, the MSP is a better autoX car than the wrx is... hands down.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

  8. #22
    Registered User Padge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    DE
    Posts
    223
    Wait a minute... you can set the tach to beep??????
    Patrick
    2004 Java Black STi
    COBB Stage II
    Invidia G200 Exhaust
    Helix Catted downpipe
    K+N Typhoon Intake
    Tanabe GF210 Springs

  9. #23
    Registered User wrxaddicted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Southern Cali
    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    IMO, better to grind then accidentally hit 3rd.
    +1

  10. #24
    Moderator MidKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Bergen, NJ
    Posts
    4,711
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    not really.... driver aside, the MSP is a better autoX car than the wrx is... hands down.
    +1
    I owned an MP3 before my wrx (basically a non-turbo, no lsp having mazdaspeed protege) and it handled phenomenally. With the addition of the lsd, the mazdaspeed has to be even better... I miss the fun factor of that car...
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

  11. #25
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,238
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    not really.... driver aside, the MSP is a better autoX car than the wrx is... hands down.
    Depends on the autox track. Longer straights...WRX....shorter straights, MSP. IMO at least.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

  12. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    In the slow lane
    Posts
    1,660
    Quote Originally Posted by prspect06
    smic?
    side mounted intercooler
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

  13. #27
    Registered User TurboWill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    LI NY
    Posts
    3,109
    Nice runs.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

  14. #28
    Banned TSi AWD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    845
    not really.... driver aside, the MSP is a better autoX car than the wrx is... hands down.

    That is still opinion. Certainly can't exit a sharp turn as fast. It is still FF although it may not have the power to get significant torque steer which may be it's benefit in handling.


    I don't see I car that much better then the other on an Auto X, but AWD has it's advantages and can do things FF simply cannot.

  15. #29
    Registered User Griswold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Salem, MA
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by TSi AWD
    That is still opinion. Certainly can't exit a sharp turn as fast. It is still FF although it may not have the power to get significant torque steer which may be it's benefit in handling.


    I don't see I car that much better then the other on an Auto X, but AWD has it's advantages and can do things FF simply cannot.
    Obviously not all drivers are created equal...

    MSP vs WRX Autocross

    But the MSP is sort of set up as an autocross car from the factory. The suspension and power delivery are gear right towards it. It's lighter than the WRX, has a better stock suspension, tires, and less turbo lag.

    Once you get the WRX onto a road course, I'd expect the it to own due to it's superior power and corner exit speeds.

    I read a SCC article where they said that, even being down on power to an SRT4, it took the SRT4 like 3 miles to put any real distance on an MSP. We KNOW that's not because the MSP has a good motor.

    I'm not trying to discredit the WRX as being a bad autocross car by any means. If my motor grenades or I stuff the car into a tree, the WRX is my next purchase...that or a GTO.

  16. #30
    Registered User prspect06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Land of the Kings
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by jigga
    side mounted intercooler
    where is it located in the engine bay?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •