STI vs Cobra - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on STI vs Cobra within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by DragonXeno I'm taking my car in for mods this weekend...probably will get a dyno too. So far ...

sorry so long , cobra owner:

Quote Originally Posted by DragonXeno
    I'm taking my car in for mods this weekend...probably will get a dyno too. So far all i have is an intake...but i majorly need suspension work done. The IRS is just not cutting it...i wish i was AWD.

Its weird i will pull certain cars that i know have ridiculous mods done to them like this one yellow evo or the STi i wrote about....but then my friend in a stock ws6 pulls on me...i just dont understand my car sometimes.

To burrito:

Would you PLEASE fix you car and re-mod it...so we can race again...k thx...or get an evo...GET SOMETHING!!!!!
    When i was inquiring into swaping out my rear for an irs ( i want to auto x), i all the sudden had people pm'in me to trade. i researched it and found out :
    You will find a lot of Cobra owners have switched back to a solid rear axle for this problem, but the road racers like the "better" handleing of the IRS. It all depends on what you like to do. Ford gives us a good starting point and the aftermarket finishes it! Have fun.
    &:
    you can eliminate most all of the wheel hop and still keep the IRS. You need to change out the soft factory bushings and add a bar to help solidify the IRS. Check out Steeda.com for ideas. There are others too that have products to do this. Maybe Kenny Brown or Griggs? ...

You can find stronger half shafts if you break one.... or do it before, LOL.

I personally LIKE the IRS for the better everyday ride, I never plan on drag launching or power shifting,

you also need to get better subframes the 1's that come from the factory are JUNK

you need some MM full legnth subframes or hans either will work also you need the polyurathan bushings,lowering or stiffer springs,drag radials and for good measure a irs brace which put it all together about 2000 will do it

but then again if you dont do it there are stories AND pics of people breaking the irs on the test drive thats how bad the wheel hop is

also the more mods you do to the car i.e.. horse power mods the more irs work you have to do to keep it from hopping

like mine when i was making 370rwhp(stock) the hop was horrible i put DR on and it was gone then i added a cai,catback and h-pipe and it was back just like before so i had to put lowering springs on and full lenght subframes now its fine again

a live axel is coming VERY soon ive had enuff of the irs im a drag racer and the irs does me no good

on the new cobra's theres suppost to be an option for live axel or irs(thank God)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Cobras are slow.
    Ryan
    2003 REDFIRE COBRA

pullied, sprayed, ported

I Support ClubWRX
    Ford = Found On Road Dead or F'ck'd On Race Day
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

Quote Originally Posted by StngStr
    Cobras are slow.
    Fuelslu.t?? how did you find me here.

Anyway, slick right now im getting my pulley and tune, and some suspension work.

If you want a good setup IMO do this
    Steeda CAI
    MangnaFlow Cat Back
    New Plugs
    2.93 or lower pulley + Tune
    Suspension work (Dont know what yet, my car wheel hops like mad)
    New Heat Exchanger
    Port Blower or get the K/B Blower

Quote Originally Posted by devilfluff
    Ford = Found On Road Dead or F'ck'd On Race Day
    No, no. See you all have it wrong Ford = First On Race Day.

FORD = Flooded Opium-filled Repossessed Dipsh!t

Quote Originally Posted by rpfride
    I personally LIKE the IRS for the better everyday ride, I never plan on drag launching or power shifting,

a live axel is coming VERY soon ive had enuff of the irs im a drag racer and the irs does me no good

Im confused!
    '02 WRB WRX wingless
    Its stock...I swear....and its N/A too
    ...thats not turbo spool you hear thats a vaccuum leak!

Quote Originally Posted by Ceyvme
    Im confused!
    Sorry, they were copy and pasted from another forum. i should have been more clear. They were from different owners, different opinions/purposes. sorry.

i just put a huge heat exchanger on teh roush. its beautifull! has Roush stenciled on the front.
    if you can afford it, get the k.b. That thing is sweet. then, port it, and get a tune. 500+hp.
    my car cannot go that high, 2valve heads are going to be worked soon but still will not flow as much as a good worked cobra head. But they do well.
    also check out pulleyboys.com for a custom pulley. i got a 2.1" fromthem. cant install without a tune.

In keeping with the forum, I smoked a mercury merauder (sp?) tonight...lol..with the wrx of course!!

So you all are saying that hands down a stock cobra will beat a stock STI? Ive driven a 98 cobra and wasnt nearly as impressed as I am with my WRX pushing 260whp. I guess the new cobras are much more bad azz though. I had an 03 mustang v6 before my WRX though and the rear end was all over the road if it was raining and no matter where you live you'll run into rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Narrator
    So you all are saying that hands down a stock cobra will beat a stock STI? Ive driven a 98 cobra and wasnt nearly as impressed as I am with my WRX pushing 260whp. I guess the new cobras are much more bad azz though. I had an 03 mustang v6 before my WRX though and the rear end was all over the road if it was raining and no matter where you live you'll run into rain.
    98 Cobra = 305 hp
    99, 01 Cobra = 320 hp
    03, 04 Cobra = 390 hp (majority are making 360-370 rwhp, which is 420-430 flywheel hp)

So...STi should whip up on a 98 Cobra and even a 99/01 Cobra from a dig. An 03/04 Cobra is a mid-high 12 sec car stock while a stock STi is a low-mid 13 second car stock.
    Ryan
    2003 REDFIRE COBRA

pullied, sprayed, ported

98 Cobra = 305 hp
    99, 01 Cobra = 320 hp
    03, 04 Cobra = 390 hp (majority are making 360-370 rwhp, which is 420-430 flywheel hp)

So...STi should whip up on a 98 Cobra and even a 99/01 Cobra from a dig. An 03/04 Cobra is a mid-high 12 sec car stock while a stock STi is a low-mid 13 second car stock.
    I imagine the cobra is heavier than the WRX though, just the feel of my mustang vs my wrx is a lot different, from the doors to the hood. My mustang always had something damn rattling too in either the interior (i.e. doors) or the rear end would give the occasional squeak. It would really get on my nerves. I dunno if the cobras are made with much higher quality parts or what.

Quote Originally Posted by Narrator
    I imagine the cobra is heavier than the WRX though, just the feel of my mustang vs my wrx is a lot different, from the doors to the hood. My mustang always had something damn rattling too in either the interior (i.e. doors) or the rear end would give the occasional squeak. It would really get on my nerves. I dunno if the cobras are made with much higher quality parts or what.

My car weighs 3650 lbs without me. No weight reduction mods either. They are heavy pigs.

Higher quality parts? Nope..same cheap parts as all mustangs. Only thing a Cobra has going for it is the drivetrain. There are stock bottom end 03/04 Cobras making 800-900 rwhp. T56 tranny is pretty stout too, except for the weak input shaft. You guys get better fit/finish, we get a better motor/tranny/looks (<---IMO)....all for the same price.
    Last edited by StngStr; 04-14-2005 at 08:01 PM.
    Ryan
    2003 REDFIRE COBRA

pullied, sprayed, ported

My car weighs 3650 lbs without me. No weight reduction mods either. They are heavy pigs.

Higher quality parts? Nope..same cheap parts as all mustangs. Only thing a Cobra has going for it is the drivetrain. There are stock bottom end 03/04 Cobras making 800-900 rwhp. T56 tranny is pretty stout too, except for the weak input shaft. You guys get better fit/finish, we get a better motor/tranny/looks (<---IMO)....all for the same price.
    heh, well the WRX either you love or hate. Everyone that has seen mine really liked it tho. Its got rims and tinted windows so its lookin coo...

Dragon, I am planing on a magnaflow catback (this year) then next year (if I can actually wait) I will get the 2.83 pulley, tune, and a RAI, and possibly port the Eaton. Then I will be waiting and saving for a 2.4 KB and suspension and brake work.

As for the rattles, I don't know about WRXs but my STi had plenty of rattles, they were everywhere and most honest STi owners will agree that the car makes a ton of NVR (or whatever it is called), performance bargain cars are prone to it just like the crickety Cobra.
    New Numbers
    466 rwhp
    473 rwtq
    XX Tuning tuned
    Southpaw = Ricer with a vette & 2 Gay 2 Curios (well not yet anyway!)

I would rather mod a evo or sti. The traction issue is just to important. My car (roush) is to damm dangerous. Seriously, its like driving on snow. The suspention doesnt help, soooo stiff, you ever see nascar guys leaving pitrow...
    Im not driving it till at least 80+degrees, if i keep it. I love my WRX. id love to sell the roush and get an evo to mod. Did i mention im sick of no traction, oh and the ground clearance...there is none!! .. Evo rs..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast