EVO vs 05 GTO - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on EVO vs 05 GTO within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by SGOSWRX Altitude Corrected for that run is 12.1 @ 114 mph. Does that look better? A 3700 ...

Quote Originally Posted by SGOSWRX
    Altitude Corrected for that run is 12.1 @ 114 mph. Does that look better?
    A 3700 lb car running low 12s with just tires and exhaust mods. That doesnt look good to you?

Also that pulley mod is worth about 2 hp. He's also running the stock rear section exhaust.

How many STi's or EVO's drop from low 13s to low 12s with exhaust mods and 2 rear tires?
    well yeah, a 12.1 is much more impressive. My reference to it not being that impressive was because the car should be running 13.0 STOCK. for it to only drop .4sec with basically an exhaust is not too impressive to me. Headers on that car are probably around $1,000 and with X-pipe and such, thats about $1,500 worth of mods. I just expected more than .4sec gain. Evo will drop half a sec with less than $500 in mods.

Dont get me wrong, the GTO is a nice car and is capable of a lot, I just think you chose a poor example to demonstrate the GT0's power. From my understanding they are doing VERY low 13's stock and a full exhaust (headers, x-pipe, catback) I would expect 12.2-12.4....... maybe I am just "wishfully thinking though" lol
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Shaitiger
    It's good to see SGOS defending the GM 5.7L V8 slightly biased again .

I miss my SS .

You have to admit that's pretty darn good. To run low to mid 12s in a 3700lb car with just exhaust and tires.

Biased, you should hear me defending the STi and EVO in the other forums.

Somebody in the GTO forum told me that the WRX and STi's were "rice" and bascially a cheap car for kids? You have got to be kidding.
    Because I spend most of my time in Corvette, Z28, and GTO forums, I end up sticking up for WRX's, EVO's and STi's all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by SGOSWRX
    Biased, you should hear me defending the STi and EVO in the other forums.

Somebody in the GTO forum told me that the WRX and STi's were "rice" and bascially a cheap car for kids? You have got to be kidding.
    Because I spend most of my time in Corvette, Z28, and GTO forums, I end up sticking up for WRX's, EVO's and STi's all the time.
    I know you are. I do the same thing sometimes. That doesn't change the fact that you're still slightly biased once again. It's all good man, I have no problem with it .
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    Headers on that car are probably around $1,000 and with X-pipe and such, thats about $1,500 worth of mods. I just expected more than .4sec gain. Evo will drop half a sec with less than $500 in mods.
    Really? It takes $500 for a 13.2 stock Evo to run a 12.7 with $500 in mods huh? Most Evo owners will run a 12.7-12.8 with and intake, turboback exhaust, boost controller, EM or Fuel controller for mods. That's around $1400-$1600 in mods. Hitting a 12.6 at 110mph with spending $1500 on a GTO is pretty good in my eyes. Even if it wasn't at a higher elevation.
    Team Mullet Racing
    www.forgivendriven.com

For an Evo to hit low 12's it would take
    -TB exhaust
    -Cams
    -fuel pump
    -Boost controller
    -Ecu tune

Looking at $1500.00 for all the parts. This is on pump gas 93 octane. I'm now you can reach 11.99 on 110 race gas and a upgraded clutch with parts above.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

Quote Originally Posted by TurboWill
    For an Evo to hit low 12's it would take
    -TB exhaust
    -Cams
    -fuel pump
    -Boost controller
    -Ecu tune

Looking at $1500.00 for all the parts. This is on pump gas 93 octane. I'm now you can reach 11.99 on 110 race gas and a upgraded clutch with parts above.
    It costs about $1K for cams, APR studs and installation, about $800-$1000 for a full turboback, $100 for a fuel pump, $60-$100 for a boost controller, and about $300-$500 for EM.

That's way over $1500. I'm not trying to argue with you because I plan on buying secondary parts and trying to run low 12s with about nothing spent . Let's be realistic though .
    Team Mullet Racing
    www.forgivendriven.com

It costs about $1K for cams, APR studs and installation, about $800-$1000 for a full turboback, $100 for a fuel pump, $60-$100 for a boost controller, and about $300-$500 for EM.

That's way over $1500. I'm not trying to argue with you because I plan on buying secondary parts and trying to run low 12s with about nothing spent . Let's be realistic though .
    Yes, what"s a cam cost for a GTO ($350)?, we all know what kind of power an LS1/LS2 can make if you add a cam to the mix (50+hp). But installation is where most of the cost is.

Really? It takes $500 for a 13.2 stock Evo to run a 12.7 with $500 in mods huh? Most Evo owners will run a 12.7-12.8 with and intake, turboback exhaust, boost controller, EM or Fuel controller for mods. That's around $1400-$1600 in mods. Hitting a 12.6 at 110mph with spending $1500 on a GTO is pretty good in my eyes. Even if it wasn't at a higher elevation.
    I dont see too many stock Evo's running 13.2 I would say more around 13.4/13.5 or so. Figure a DP and BC is about $500 worth of mods and should not have too much trouble getting a 13.0 or so.

Dont get me wrong guys, I am not bagging on the GTO, but I was just expecting a bit more I guess... WS-6's with the same mods are running the same time as that GTO and the GTO claims 75 more hp... I am aware it weighs a bit more... but I am just saying.

110 trap is nice and all, but the C6 and or C5 Z06 with the same 1/4mile time will trap 4 to 5mph higher.... I dunno.. maybe I just expected more from a 400hp muscle car... particularly one with a few bolt on's.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

want an o5 evo to run low 12's? heres the formula

1. Get the RS
    2. turboback
    3. FMIC
    4. SAFC + injectors + pump
    5. HKS 264/272 cams
    6. TUNE

Done.
    Have a Greddy Evo 2 cat-back Exhaust system, willing to trade for: Greddy Ti, Apex'I N1, or Apex;I GT cat-backs. California only! PM if interested!

I dont see too many stock Evo's running 13.2 I would say more around 13.4/13.5 or so. Figure a DP and BC is about $500 worth of mods and should not have too much trouble getting a 13.0 or so.

Dont get me wrong guys, I am not bagging on the GTO, but I was just expecting a bit more I guess... WS-6's with the same mods are running the same time as that GTO and the GTO claims 75 more hp... I am aware it weighs a bit more... but I am just saying.

110 trap is nice and all, but the C6 and or C5 Z06 with the same 1/4mile time will trap 4 to 5mph higher.... I dunno.. maybe I just expected more from a 400hp muscle car... particularly one with a few bolt on's.

An LS1 WS6 Ram Air Trans Am and an 05 GTO are very close in speed. That can be seem by the Video in the other forum. The WS6 with catback exhaust, air filter, and programmer ran right on the heels of the 05 GTO.

The 05 GTO is definately heavier than a WS6. (200 lbs or so)
    WS6's are also making every bit of 350hp. That can be seen on the dyno. They dyno 310-320 rwhp. Some dyno over 320 rwhp. They have the same exact engine as the 350hp 04 GTO.

An 05 GTO is only making around 30 rwhp more than a WS6 Trans Am. Most 05 GTO's are dynoing around 338 rwhp - 348 rwhp stock.

That 05 GTO that ran 12.6 / 12.1 corrected only dynoed 341 rwhp stock
    after mods 364 rwhp

So a stock 05 GTO is only making about 30 rwhp more than a LS1 WS6. That along with the extra weight make them very close in speed. And don't get me going about the
    Corvette. It weighs 500 lbs less than the GTO. Thats huge.
    Last edited by SGOSWRX; 04-12-2005 at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EtherealWRX
    want an o5 evo to run low 12's? heres the formula

1. Get the RS
    2. turboback
    3. FMIC
    4. SAFC + injectors + pump
    5. HKS 264/272 cams
    6. TUNE

Done.
    don't need the front mount.. the stocker is good up to 450+ so save that 800+ dollars worth of money.

and you don't need a RS.. i have a friend with a MR that runs 12.4's with tbe, 272's, hks intake boost control, and a turbotrix flash and some race gas....

hell im at 12.7-12.6 now with the same mods without racegas...

as for the GTO ..i have much respect for them... and they can be quick for less money thats spent on the EVO.
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

You are correct. Although I do think a 13.2 is possible, most are mid 13s. The point I was making is that you'd need around $1500 to run 12.7s in a Evo, not $500.
    Team Mullet Racing
    www.forgivendriven.com

well to chime in after racing a new GTO I dont care what anyone says they are still impressive. The only problem is they make them with an automatic transmission.

EVO 333WHP vs Stock 05 GTO (Auto)...not even close no way you look at it. I killed the guy. Heres my train of thought. My dad owns a 04 C5 that is an automatic and I know the auto is the cars limiting factor. It just doesnt seem to let the car stay in the sweet spot. From a roll its awhole new game, the C5 on the interstate is freaking insane compared to the EVO when it comes to top end its like the engine wakes up and screams with emotion.

A 05 GTO with a 6 speed with slicks and a little ecu work and an exhaust I'm pretty sure is going to give me a sweet run for my money in the quarter.

But who knows the odds of me ever lining up next to a mod'd GTO that meet those requirments is like a 1% chance. So I'll just have to stick to my imagination and try and determine the outcome

staton
    The Beginning is the End is the Beginning
    --
    Provehito In Altum

Arrow

A high stall torque converter (3200 or so) makes those automatics RIP on the LS1-2 vehicles... 60' times with drag radials drop to 1.7 and lower at the track. This will put them on par with a good launching AWD vehicle. Way more consistent than the 6 speed versions, and typically quicker ET's, but lower trap speeds, all other modifications being equal (aside from the torque converter, of course).

Torque Mgmt on the new GTO's is very restrictive (even on the 6 speed cars), and it kills the timing between the shifts to help protect the trans. It should be deleted out by any half-way serious performance enthusiast who is having other things tuned on the car.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

oh man good info. I wish I could talk the pops into buying the high stall and an ecu reflash on the C5

staton
    The Beginning is the End is the Beginning
    --
    Provehito In Altum

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast