Can a Stage 2 WRX pull a stock EVO - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Can a Stage 2 WRX pull a stock EVO within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by bigwrxguy I see most EVO dyno around 230whp. Mine dyno'd at around 235WHP (uncorrected) at 5,500ft above ...

Quote Originally Posted by bigwrxguy
    I see most EVO dyno around 230whp.
    Mine dyno'd at around 235WHP (uncorrected) at 5,500ft above sea-level last year. Identical numbers to those pulled by STi's on the same dyno around the same time. Buddy of mine pulled about 5HP more on the same day IIRC, with a 'stage 4' WRX.

I was running stock boost but had the panel filter pulled. No other 'mods' at that time.

Just FYI..
    Last edited by pace; 07-23-2005 at 04:13 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GREDDY
    I doubt that. The EVO has a much better suspension setup then the WRX plus 17x8 wheels.
    Agree with that. I've owned both, and they're in a totally different class insofar as handling goes.

Would you guys say that given the same driver, having good experience w/ both cars, that a stock Evo GSR and a stage 2 WRX would be pretty close to even in the 1/4mi?

I dont need to be pulling on Evo's, but its nice to think that i am about equal (in terms of straight line times). id love an Evo, but can't afford the insurance.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

'Close', maybe. But 'even'; not in my experience, no. The EVO has both a HP and a gearing advantage over a stage-2 WRX. You're going to give away even more to any Evolution with the 10.5cm turbine housing, which I believe all the new EVOs run from the factory.

If you are a REALLY good driver, and you have your stage 2 powerband mastered, it will be close.

Quote Originally Posted by pace
    'Close', maybe. But 'even'; not in my experience, no. The EVO has both a HP and a gearing advantage over a stage-2 WRX. You're going to give away even more to any Evolution with the 10.5cm turbine housing, which I believe all the new EVOs run from the factory.
    Sounds good to me. that will keep me happy w/ my WRX, and keep me longing for a trade in come the Evo X.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Before I sold the WRX (Turboxs stage 2+catless uppipe), my friend and I ran them. Them as my WRX(stage 2+) and EVO8(stock). The WRX kept even with the EVO from 1st to 2nd gear but started falling behind once in 3rd gear. Once in third gear, the EVO just walked it. We ran it up to about 100mph and shut down. The EVO had 2-3 cars easy.
    2003 Evolution 8
    Buschur Racing 3'' turboback exhaust with high flow cat
    Apexi SAFCII
    Turboxs HPmbc(19psi)
    Injen intake kit.
    HKS 264/272
    329+awhp/327+awtq.
    345awhp/344awtq "catless".

Quote Originally Posted by Gloveperson
    BTW, can someone tell me what TBE is? I am a newbie at most turbo-car acroynms and as I speak, the search will not work for me for some reason
    TBE= Turbo Back Exhaust it means that the pipe you change is all the way from the turbo housing, usually it involves the removal of the 2 catalytic converters or short for Cats. A cat back would be just from the last catalytic converter leaving the cats in place, and an axle back would be just the muffler section itself leaving evything else in place.
    Last edited by subaru_crazy; 07-24-2005 at 01:12 PM.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

Quote Originally Posted by subaru_crazy
    TBE= Turbo Back Exhaust it means that the pipe you change is all the way from the turbo housing, usually it involves the removal of the 2 catalytic converters or short for Cats. A cat back would be just from the last catalytic converter leaving the cats in place, and an axle back would be just the muffler section itself leaving evything else in place.
    Quote Originally Posted by REDREX02
    Turbo Back Exhaust
    Thanks a lot guys! Do most people also get headers for this car? Or is a TBE the norm?
    04 Silver STi M6

i have raced many kids ....... stage 2 wrxs , utec and accesport....other more randomley modded wrxs and i kill them
    i have the videos to prove it..... and i have stock sti
    the only wrx i have lost to is my buddys vf 39. with large tmic
    and i have that video too.......i pull him iearly on and he catches up and passes me and higher speeds he walks away faster and faster

but unless the turbo has been upgraded i have had no problems whatsover with wrxs

i was always under the impression that a stage 2 wrx would beat a stock sti.......i was wrong

U know
    I've just come to the conclusion that a whole lot of cars can whip a wrx's a&&. Who cares though. I mean my wrx is a sweet looking, awd fun to drive machine. If I get handled at an autocross or two, or some punk in a Hemi 300 catches me of guard and smokes me in busy traffic, so what. Sometimes you just need to sit back and enjoy just being able to pay for such a rewarding automobile. It feels good to come home from the zoo with a beautiful women by my side, two gorgeous little girls sleeping in the back seat, on a fine sunny Sunday while driving such a practical little pocket rocket that makes the lady of the house say on occasion, "that's just unreal" refering to the head-snapping blast I just pulled from a stoplight on the way home. My reply..... Oh yep....(with a grin hidden up inside while trying to play like it's no big deal on the outside.)
    Us little boys ey?
    Do I care an Evo will kill me in any race on Earth? Nope.
    Last edited by scoob; 07-31-2005 at 04:44 PM.
    My car looks just like this without the skirts and roof wing! Yeah baby!

bench racing gets old......."I beat this so I must be this"......too many other attributes involved, doesnt work that way!

Quote Originally Posted by scoob
    U know
    I've just come to the conclusion that a whole lot of cars can whip a wrx's a&&. Who cares though. I mean my wrx is a sweet looking, awd fun to drive machine. If I get handled at an autocross or two, or some punk in a Hemi 300 catches me of guard and smokes me in busy traffic, so what. Sometimes you just need to sit back and enjoy just being able to pay for such a rewarding automobile. It feels good to come home from the zoo with a beautiful women by my side, two gorgeous little girls sleeping in the back seat, on a fine sunny Sunday while driving such a practical little pocket rocket that makes the lady of the house say on occasion, "that's just unreal" refering to the head-snapping blast I just pulled from a stoplight on the way home. My reply..... Oh yep....(with a grin hidden up inside while trying to play like it's no big deal on the outside.)
    Us little boys ey?
    Do I care an Evo will kill me in any race on Earth? Nope.
    Good atitude! I like the way you think. Even when the 2006 Z06 comes out, I'm sure I'd want to jump into it but I think I'll just stick with the EVO. I'm just happy to be able to afford such a fine automobile.
    2003 Evolution 8
    Buschur Racing 3'' turboback exhaust with high flow cat
    Apexi SAFCII
    Turboxs HPmbc(19psi)
    Injen intake kit.
    HKS 264/272
    329+awhp/327+awtq.
    345awhp/344awtq "catless".

how are you guys dynoing anywhere near 230-240 awhp?? doesn't the stock evo come with 276 hp at the crank? I was under the impression that the awd drivetrain loss on evos/sti's was around 25%. doing some simple math 276 * .87 = about 240. so you are saying you have a 13% drivetrain loss. that can't be correct.
    2002 Black Mustang GT 5spd
    Magnaflow Catback
    Short throw and X-pipe soon...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.