Can a Stage 2 WRX pull a stock EVO - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Can a Stage 2 WRX pull a stock EVO within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by demolish oh man evo's are fast..........TO BREAK DOWN!!!! MITSU****Y........

Quote Originally Posted by demolish
    oh man evo's are fast..........TO BREAK DOWN!!!!

MITSU****Y.....
    Other car's I had:
    93' Camaro Z28, 95' Eclipse GS, 92' Integra GS, 91' MR2 Turbo, 00' Civic SI, 89' CRX SI, 97' Accord EX V6 (Totalled), 97' Wrangler 4x4, 91' Talon TSI AWD (Blown motor), 96' 240sx KA-Turbo, 96' 300ZX TT, 05' WRX, 05' STI (Totalled), 05' STI, and 92' SC400
    Still in the Family: 05' STI (Wife's Car), 92' SC400.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by scubee
    Yeah they are fast
    Thats because the 05 RS and 05 GSR now have the 10.5 turbocharger compressor housing compared to their old 9.8.

MR's and GSR's are cool and all, but the evo to be REALLY worried about is the 05 RS, they only come in red and white, and have no spoiler and they are the lightest model of the 3. I roll with Southern California Evolution owners club twice a meet (socalevo.net , I'm ScoobySteve) and romping an 05 RS with a WRX is one hella tough thing to aspire. I have a TBE, UP, and cobb relfash, for stage 1, (not 2, I'm saving for a UTEC) but I ran my friend's 03 RS, from 1st to 3rd we're dead even, after 4th, he's just gone. Our stocker TD04 just runs outta oomph top end compared to a stock evo's 16g.

I thought I could roll an 05 RS with my setup and was extremely humbled. He had an 05 RS with the 10.5 housing, TBE, intake, EM. Despite the fact that the RS is the lightest weighing car of all 3 EVO's, his RS was 150 lbs lighter than a normal RS, replacing everything that could be, from steel to titanium.He owned me from the get go.

But I can still womp most of them on the touge, especially on downhill
    Have a Greddy Evo 2 cat-back Exhaust system, willing to trade for: Greddy Ti, Apex'I N1, or Apex;I GT cat-backs. California only! PM if interested!

Quote Originally Posted by EtherealWRX

Thats because the 05 RS and 05 GSR now have the 10.5 turbocharger compressor housing compared to their old 9.8.

MR's and GSR's are cool and all, but the evo to be REALLY worried about is the 05 RS, they only come in red and white, and have no spoiler and they are the lightest model of the 3. I roll with Southern California Evolution owners club twice a meet (socalevo.net , I'm ScoobySteve) and romping an 05 RS with a WRX is one hella tough thing to aspire. I have a TBE, UP, and cobb relfash, for stage 1, (not 2, I'm saving for a UTEC) but I ran my friend's 03 RS, from 1st to 3rd we're dead even, after 4th, he's just gone. Our stocker TD04 just runs outta oomph top end compared to a stock evo's 16g.

I thought I could roll an 05 RS with my setup and was extremely humbled. He had an 05 RS with the 10.5 housing, TBE, intake, EM. Despite the fact that the RS is the lightest weighing car of all 3 EVO's, his RS was 150 lbs lighter than a normal RS, replacing everything that could be, from steel to titanium.He owned me from the get go.

But I can still womp most of them on the touge, especially on downhill

I almost bought an RS. I thought about it and I just loved the quality of the Suby. Even though it doesn't have as much go.
    Other car's I had:
    93' Camaro Z28, 95' Eclipse GS, 92' Integra GS, 91' MR2 Turbo, 00' Civic SI, 89' CRX SI, 97' Accord EX V6 (Totalled), 97' Wrangler 4x4, 91' Talon TSI AWD (Blown motor), 96' 240sx KA-Turbo, 96' 300ZX TT, 05' WRX, 05' STI (Totalled), 05' STI, and 92' SC400
    Still in the Family: 05' STI (Wife's Car), 92' SC400.

I notice alot of guys bash the reliability of the Mitsu, but how reliable is the 02-03 WRX tranny? I remember my wrx, guys always told me to becarefull with that tranny made of glass?
    2006 OBP STI
    WANTING STI trunk/lid for my WRX trunk and lid!!!

Quote Originally Posted by converted
    absolutely not...... i have stock turbo and have no problem what so ever!
    Your stock turbo has a ~25lb compressor. The Evolution comes stock with a ~40lb compressor. Go figure.

Really though.. a well tuned 'Stage-2' WRX is going to be around 20HP down on a bone stock Evolution, so yeah if the guy driving the Mitsu is a total chimp then you could probably beat him without too much trouble. When you're down to a relatively small power differential like that, it's going to be largely a drivers race. A good launch is hard to reel in without a big power advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by pace
    Your stock turbo has a ~25lb compressor. The Evolution comes stock with a ~40lb compressor. Go figure.

Really though.. a well tuned 'Stage-2' WRX is going to be around 20HP down on a bone stock Evolution, so yeah if the guy driving the Mitsu is a total chimp then you could probably beat him without too much trouble. When you're down to a relatively small power differential like that, it's going to be largely a drivers race. A good launch is hard to reel in without a big power advantage.
    I see most EVO dyno around 230whp.

fre
    Drivers race, but of course we all know how unreliable evos are. 200 7000+ rpm launches and up to 30 psi with nothing but a clutch. Definitely an unreliable piece. Try that with your reliable subaru and tell me how that works out for you.
    11.1 @ 131

Yeah. I have to agree. WRXs break trannys all the time. I think I might trade my WRX for an EVO sometime.

Just get a boom box or something to make the noise of a V8 and it will stall right lol?

It should be a pretty close drivers race vs a non-MR/RS one I would imagine. I've always been under the impression that bone-stock EVOS top-end tapers down a bit at 5500+, and I have always been under the impression that the top-end of a stage 2 was pretty decent so it might be a race determined by a driver.

BTW, can someone tell me what TBE is? I am a newbie at most turbo-car acroynms and as I speak, the search will not work for me for some reason

As for reliability, every car has problems when you start modding it, bar none. WRX has tranny, EVO has clutch, 03/04 Cobra has IRS, F-bodies has the rear-end, a lot of DSMs have crank walk, 5.0's have trannies etc etc etc. So I would not discount any car due to its problems when modding or driving hard.
    Last edited by Gloveperson; 07-23-2005 at 01:20 AM.
    04 Silver STi M6

Quote Originally Posted by Gloveperson
    F-bodies has the rear-end,
    M6's have been shown to break more read ends than those A4's! But I will agree those "wonderful" 10 bolts are just something GM did not think about. GM should have given those M6's a 12 bolt stock and keep the 10 bolt in the A4's.

But bask to the topic. I did not mean cause WRX trannies are the weak link we should go out and buy EVO's but I was just saying eventhough those 4g63 guys have to worry about their clutch, those scooby guys have their trans to worry about.

Both cars are stout performers. I do not see a stage 2 WRX beating a stock Evo, both given the same driver. I have owned a 02 WRX with full 3" tbe, mbc@17psi, uppipe 5 speed and after driving the Evo, I do not see it happening. Overall I think the Evo is a much better platform than the WRX, but then we could also compare the Evo to the STI. But even with that said, I would rather mod the 4G63 than the boxer beast. I am rambling, I'll stop...
    Jon
    2006 OBP STI

Quote Originally Posted by Gloveperson
    BTW, can someone tell me what TBE is? I am a newbie at most turbo-car acroynms and as I speak, the search will not work for me for some reason
    Turbo Back Exhaust
    2006 OBP STI

if u are stock and u r a better driver ull tare him up on n the turns
    whats a signature?

Quote Originally Posted by hksimprezawrx
    if u are stock and u r a better driver ull tare him up on n the turns
    I doubt that. The EVO has a much better suspension setup then the WRX plus 17x8 wheels.
    2003 Evolution 8
    Buschur Racing 3'' turboback exhaust with high flow cat
    Apexi SAFCII
    Turboxs HPmbc(19psi)
    Injen intake kit.
    HKS 264/272
    329+awhp/327+awtq.
    345awhp/344awtq "catless".

wow you guys actually race STOCK EVO's..... I don't see many of those. as for the reliability thing.. ok doesn't bother me a bit but when my clutch did got it just gave me a excuse to upgrade....
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

Quote Originally Posted by Novtec1
    wow you guys actually race STOCK EVO's..... I don't see many of those. as for the reliability thing.. ok doesn't bother me a bit but when my clutch did got it just gave me a excuse to upgrade....
    I would imagine that they are using a stock EVO as a benchmark more than an actual racing experience.
    04 Silver STi M6

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.