modded mr2 vs wrx
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on modded mr2 vs wrx within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey guys, hasnt happened yet but my best friend has a 91 mr2 turbo with JE pistons, 3rd gen turbo ...

modded mr2 vs wrx

hey guys, hasnt happened yet but my best friend has a 91 mr2 turbo with JE pistons, 3rd gen turbo intake exhaust and downpipe with a mbc set at 14 PSI when i drive with him it sure feels a lot faster but the speedo doesnt look like it goes much if any faster than mine. last year he ran a 14.1 at the strip. i know some stock wrx's have ran 14.1 but doesnt it seem like a mr2 with those mods should run better than a 14.1 but anyway who do you think will win when we both get our cars out together. and after i get the upipe downpipe? itll be a fun run, his mr2 is a sweet fun little car looks great too. it sure feels fast but its a lot smaller than the rex, hes got synchro problems though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

14's is not that great for an mr2 with those mods. I used to have an mr2 and with those mods plus an EBC and an upgraded turbo I ran an 11.8 with a kinda crappy 60 foot. Mr2's are FAST, especially if somone knows how to drive one. Even with stock turbo, he should be able to grab some 13's....

That said, my WRX runs mid 13's and overall I think its a much better car.

Good luck.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan 91T
    14's is not that great for an mr2 with those mods. I used to have an mr2 and with those mods plus an EBC and an upgraded turbo I ran an 11.8 with a kinda crappy 60 foot. Mr2's are FAST, especially if somone knows how to drive one. Even with stock turbo, he should be able to grab some 13's....

Good luck.

Dan
    As much as I love mr2's they aren't that fast. a 91 stock mr2 is a high 14 low 15 second car..
    Check out the timers here..
    http://www.mr2ownersclub.com/quartermile/

With those mods he should be atleast in the 13's.. If you are stock I think it would be a good race.

Quote Originally Posted by WRX-ERROR
    As much as I love mr2's they aren't that fast. a 91 stock mr2 is a high 14 low 15 second car..

With those mods he should be atleast in the 13's.. If you are stock I think it would be a good race.

My gf has two 91 MR2 turbo 5 speeds. They were mid 14 second cars when new, not high 14 low 15. Her daily driver has an exhaust, intake and bov, so basically has almost no mods. It would be a close race from a roll, but she would lose off the line. The car you are racing should easily be in the mid 13s, but he might not be a great driver, or the car may be beat.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dan 91T

Good luck.

Dan

Looks like we agree, even though you disagreed with me

The car was probably capable of 13's, unless the driver sucked or the car was beat.

Good luck,

Dan

Your friends mr2 should run faster times. I have a 94 mr2 turbo with similar mods but I got a greddy intercooler. With those mods it ran a 13.2 at 104 mph. My MR2 from a roll will beat my STi. MR2s have a lot potential but the problem is there isn't a lot options for EM.

yea thats what ive been told about him supposed to be running better times but i dont know if his engine is in top notch condition. i forgot to mention he has lsd too....i heard they can launch pretty well they are MR so it makes sense. so basically your saying if we race from a roll he should pull on me right? from a stop you think ill get him? i am completely stock by the way. a helix upipe and downpipe with hks catback are coming soon though then you think ill take him? sorry for al the question just kinda want to know what to expect.

i love mr2's sweet little cars

Quote Originally Posted by Deke
    yea thats what ive been told about him supposed to be running better times but i dont know if his engine is in top notch condition. i forgot to mention he has lsd too....i heard they can launch pretty well they are MR so it makes sense. so basically your saying if we race from a roll he should pull on me right? from a stop you think ill get him? i am completely stock by the way. a helix upipe and downpipe with hks catback are coming soon though then you think ill take him? sorry for al the question just kinda want to know what to expect.

i love mr2's sweet little cars

You can launch the MR2 really well. My gf's MR2 takes off almost as good as the WRX. You sould still be able to take him through first and maybe part of second, but even with a full exhaust the MR2 should still be faster then you car, but in the real world you never know. There are soo many factors that can change things.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Quote Originally Posted by Dan 91T
    Looks like we agree, even though you disagreed with me

The car was probably capable of 13's, unless the driver sucked or the car was beat.

Good luck,

Dan
    Well I agreed with most.. But the part where you said they were fast. Sorry for a car that light and being turbo it's not fast at all.

With all the work he did it should be a 13 second car.. But do all that work for any other turbo car and you are in the 13's and 12's but aren't nearly as light.

Well I agreed with most.. But the part where you said they were fast. Sorry for a car that light and being turbo it's not fast at all.

With all the work he did it should be a 13 second car.. But do all that work for any other turbo car and you are in the 13's and 12's but aren't nearly as light.
    MR2s are very fast cars for their time. This car came out in 1991 it ran mid 14s in the 1/4 with just 200hp and with a full exhaust, and a boost controller it could be down in the low 13s which is basically what a wrx can do. The MR2s are not light either, take a look at the specs, i believe the turbo 91s are in the 3000s. They are small but not light.

friend had one and he was faster than 350z's off a roll srt4's and when i just had downpipe he would beat me nicely. Never raced him at stage 2(with old wrx). He had same mods as you listed and he did very well at the track. He had 1.9 60ft times and he would get 13.7@ 100mph but this was at a high elevation track.

yea for some reason i remember my buddy tellin me for as small a car that the mr2 is it is pretty heavy, dont quote me on it but i think that is what he said.

t
    Drivers race + the 1,000,000 other variables. Race and find out

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78
    MR2s are very fast cars for their time. This car came out in 1991 it ran mid 14s in the 1/4 with just 200hp and with a full exhaust, and a boost controller it could be down in the low 13s which is basically what a wrx can do. The MR2s are not light either, take a look at the specs, i believe the turbo 91s are in the 3000s. They are small but not light.
    By 1991 you already had a few 15 and 14 second cars that were alot heavier.
    1991 MR2 was around 2700lbs..
    1987 Buick GN 3460 lbs
    1987 Monte Carlo around 3600+lbs
    1994 Impala SS 4000lbs

I'm not knocking the MR2 I love them but for their size and the fact that they are turbo cars they aren't all that fast.. Even the GenIII are slow IMHO.

By 1991 you already had a few 15 and 14 second cars that were alot heavier.
    1991 MR2 was around 2700lbs..
    1987 Buick GN 3460 lbs
    1987 Monte Carlo around 3600+lbs
    1994 Impala SS 4000lbs

I'm not knocking the MR2 I love them but for their size and the fact that they are turbo cars they aren't all that fast.. Even the GenIII are slow IMHO.
    Ok let me rephrase that, for their time and engine size they were a fast car. I really don't get the comparison with the cars you listed, yes a GN is slighty faster then a stock MR2 turbo but the montel Carlo is not faster. The 1994 Impala SS shared the same engine with the corvette, why didn't you just list the corvette? I didn't say there weren't any cars faster. At the time in 1991 the MR2 was faster then the 1991 Supra Turbo and the RX7 turbo, the 300zx had come out with the twin turbo which was a little faster then the MR2. "Even the genIII are slow IMHO? Yes the GenIII aren't nearly as quick as the GENII so whats your point? An MR2 Turbo is a small car but its close to 3000 pounds, i know for sure its not 2700 i will check my gf's when i go see her next since she has two of them. It ran mid 14s stock did 0-60 in 6.2 seconds and had a top speed of 145mph. In 1991 the MR2 Turbo was just as fast if not faster then the 944 turbo, it could out run and stop and handle the supra turbo and RX7 turbo, it could beat a mustang GT or F-body in a straight line race and blow them away around turns, and it could even hold its own against a 1991 corvette. Yes there were cars faster then the MR2 Turbo in 1991 when it came out, but it was a fast car for its time. You also listed a 1994 SS im talking about cars that came out with the MR2 came out, not a few years after. I think the MR2 would beat a stock 1994 SS Impala, im pretty sure the SS impala with the corvette 350 was in the high 14s and the MR2 was good for a 14.6-14.3 according to magazine reviews. I just don't understand how you can't see that in 1991 when the MR2 came out and was running low to mid 14s stock that it was a fast car for its time.

P.S. in the 60s there were heavier cars faster then the MR2 also.
    Last edited by elohdaeh78; 04-07-2005 at 12:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast