DIY: Component speaker install

This is a discussion on DIY: Component speaker install within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I just finished installing Pioneer component speakers for the 02 WRX sedan. Although I haven't installed the tweeters yet, I ...

DIY: Component speaker install

I just finished installing Pioneer component speakers for the 02 WRX sedan. Although I haven't installed the tweeters yet, I believe stock tweeter is sufficient enough for my liking.

What you need:

- 3M double sided tape $3.50
    - Hair dryer~
    - Spacer kit to fit woofer so that it won't interfere with window operation: http://www.iaperformance.com/index.asp

- speaker wires
    - knife
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5323.jpg  
    Last edited by WRXreX; 11-22-2004 at 08:06 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Next step is to apply double sided tape on the back side of crossover

I found out that space behind speaker is ideal place to put a crossover. I used 3M double sided tape to secure it. Make sure to use hair dryer to heat up the surface otherwise it won't adhere sufficiently in this cold weather!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5349.jpg  
    Last edited by WRXreX; 11-22-2004 at 07:47 PM.

Here is crossover installed:

It is pretty secure with 3M double sided tape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5341.jpg  

Picture of speaker and crossover

I found out that this is pretty easy job. It took me around 30 minutes to install the woofer and crossover. If I were to install a tweeter, it wouldn't take more than additional 15 min at max.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5345.jpg  

Picture of woofer installed:

Impression: I used to have upgraded 6.5" OEM speakers. It is night and day difference! it sounds amazingly nice and bass is very noticeable. It is one of the best mod I've ever done on my car. I highly recommend upgraded component speakers for everyone in need of improvement in sound quality.

Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5350.jpg  

the tweets are real easy to put on just take off the stock brackets get some nail polish remover and cover the back untill the glue comes off. undo the screw and hot glue the new tweeter on. Thats how i did it. Thats the only way go hook a tweeter and hear perfectly and not have any fitment issues.

Also i will have to give credit to my fiance because she figured it out.

Hey, putting the crossovers behind the speakers is a good idea, and very easy, but not great for sound quality. The magnets inside the speakers will create distortion and have a negative affect on the crossovers. Perhaps pioneer has good magnetic shielding on their crossovers, but just as a rule of thumb, don't mount crossovers in the doors, or near speakers.
    Mounting them in the trunk wthe amp would, ideally, be the best location, if you want to spend a couple extra dollars for more wire, and a few extra minutes running the wire.
    '03 Aspen white rex

-Infinity Kappa Perfect 12D VQ running on a MTX audio 420D.
    -Kicker SS components (6.5") running on a hifonics saturn a4000
    -60 sq. ft of edead v1.2se

wrx's have a perfect spot in the door panel away from the speaker. It is ideal. it is were most professional installers put it.

Quote Originally Posted by GIRex
    wrx's have a perfect spot in the door panel away from the speaker. It is ideal. it is were most professional installers put it.
    really? I was unaware of this. where is it? i know that in most cars the magnets from the speakers and tweets will affect the xovers, i guess this is just another amazing part of the wrx
    '03 Aspen white rex

-Infinity Kappa Perfect 12D VQ running on a MTX audio 420D.
    -Kicker SS components (6.5") running on a hifonics saturn a4000
    -60 sq. ft of edead v1.2se

if you take out the door panel and look at it. lets say your looking at the inside of a drivers door panel. the speaker grill is on the right side. if you look to the left all the way there is this big indention in there about 6x6 inches. you just hot glue the cross over in there so its in between the door and the panel. Its easy to wire and easy to acess w/o putting them under seats. Now a whole new problem comes into play if you run them from a amp. Then you need to run the amp sound wires into the door. Thats not too hard but you can usually pay a sound shop 20 bucks a side to do it for you, and most of the time its worth the trouble. I rewired the miata because for the dreaded bose system. i couldnt do the passenger side but the installer put it in, in a second... sometimes its just worth it some things you can do yourself.

Spent two hours installing Dynamat a few days ago. It's very time consuming, but it's worth the effort. Sound is more responsive!

I dunno about 2 hours worth the effort, i also wouldnt put it on the door unless you do the whole thing. The trunk is a different story. You would have a different world if you would amplify the speakers. Thats my next mod.

would highly suggest not installing cross overs in the door like that , since water drips inside the door . the plastic behind the door panel is there for a reason