Morette Wiring / Plug in Adapter - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Morette Wiring / Plug in Adapter within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Originally posted by Trailboss Mike, Before posting such topics on teh intraweb, did you try doing a search? n00b. My ...

Originally posted by Trailboss
    Mike,
    Before posting such topics on teh intraweb, did you try doing a search?

n00b.

My internet hasn't worked in a few days, so it feels good to be back here.
    Attention Smartass,

Please shut your face.

Thanks,
    Mgmt.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sorry, it's been a long long day.

Back on topic
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

Originally posted by Trailboss

Sorry, it's been a long long day.

Back on topic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rex4.jpg  
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

How's it coming? Did you get a chance to finish it up over the weekend?
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

Originally posted by WRC_Obsessed
    How's it coming? Did you get a chance to finish it up over the weekend?
    they'll be tested tomorrow. i'll post my custom plug and play adapter attempt tonight.

dR

9007 Bulb

Standard Wagner Replacement Bulb. Take special note of the metal base just below the glass.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dcp_10441.jpg  

Smash It

Wrap the bulb in a paper towel. go a little below the base of the plastic to make sure you catch all the little shards in it. This makes clean up a piece of cake, as well as protects your eyes from billions of shards of glass.

Start by tapping and hit it harder until it pops. Keep hitting until you think the glass is all broken off the metal base.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dcp_10451.jpg  

There'll probably be some glass pieces still stuck to the four wires coming through from the base. there should also be a good bit of glass left in the metal base to the bulb.

You'll see 4 wires coming through three holes. The middle two wires are the constant power (positive) on each side is a switched ground, one for each of your high and low beams. There will be little filaments and springs on the top of these. BE careful. They're really pinchy.

The next step is to get rid of that metal base, and clip the glowing filament pieces off the metal wires. Use a wire cutter and some needle nose pilars to slowly pry the metal base apart. start at the crimped seam, and patiently work it open.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dcp_10471.jpg  

As you pull the metal base open, you'll need to pull it from the plastic plug. A little tug should do it. Clean the remaining glass from the wires with pliars, and get rid of the filaments.

On my second harness, i yanked one of the ground wires right out. they're pretty sturdy in their holes, but you'll need to take some care getting the metal base off. Basically, get a spare 9007 so you don't have to run out and get one if you screw it up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dcp_10481.jpg  

the complete stripped bulb. Take one last look at the stupid metal base. You can see where i split it open. that seam is the best place to go to work on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dcp_10491.jpg  

I chose 2 stage butt connectors b/c of the different size of each side of my splice. They step down from 16/14 gauge to 12/10 gauge. They worked pretty well for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dcp_10511.jpg  

Connect the Butt

Crimp a connector to each of your three wires with needle nose pliars. The center two wires from the plug (center hole) share a connector. (These'll splice w/ the gray Morette wire later on). The wire should come nearly all the way throgh the connector. This will insure i get good contact w/ the Morettes wires, as they only get about 1/2 way though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dcp_10521.jpg  

Enter Morette wires.

Sheath the three Morette wires. You can probably get away with only sheathing about 75% of what i did in this pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dcp_10541.jpg  

Connect the center terminal to the Morette gray wire (Constant Power)

Connect the Blue Morrette wire to the terminal on your right (Wires facing top, flat part of plug facing up)

Connect the Yellow Morrette wire to the terminal on your left

I had some exposed metal, so i capped the top of the butt connector with some electrical tape.

I finalized the seal with a couple of hard crimps on the middle (metal tube section) of the connector. This completed a nice sturdy connection and seal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dcp_10551.jpg  

Another shot. you can see my crimp marks on the butt connectors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dcp_10561.jpg  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.