turbo timer

This is a discussion on turbo timer within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; can someone explain to me in easy words what exactly a turbo timer does?...

turbo timer

can someone explain to me in easy words what exactly a turbo timer does?
    A man a plan a canal panama
    read that backwards
    Crees que tu sabes, pero no tienes una idea

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Keeps the car running for a little while after you take the key out. It allows the turbo to cool down enough after a long drive or hard driving so you dont cook the oil in the turbo. Makes is so you dont have to sit there and let it idle.
    No one will truely be free until nerd persecution ends.

i see, thanks!!!
    read that backwards

I forgot to mention that subarus probably dont need them. They desinged the turbo and coolant setup quite well and you shouldn't need to do the cooldown after normal driving. The only time when you would really want to use it is after a track run or some spirited driving.
    No one will truely be free until nerd persecution ends.

excellent, i appreciate it
    read that backwards

Originally posted by pityr
    I forgot to mention that subarus probably dont need them. They desinged the turbo and coolant setup quite well and you shouldn't need to do the cooldown after normal driving.
    to add a little more science behind this logic, the turbo is water cooled. Because some other model turbos are oil cooled, the oil would sit in the lines and the turbo after being super heated and "coke," which means it turned to rock as it boiled off and hardened. With coked oil in your coolant system, the life of the turbocharger and the oil coolant circuit is going to drop through the floor and the car will break down almost immediately. The turbo timer keeps the oil flowing till the turbo is nice and cool, so that there isn't any solidification within the system.

WRX's use water, so there are no coking issues, and the oil that is used in the turbo is used as lubrication, so it isn't absorbing huge loads of heat. A turbo timer is good for autoX or a long night of street racing, but isn't one of those "must have" mods in the way it is for oil cooled cars.

~Tim