How do you install the Shift Trims?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on How do you install the Shift Trims? within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I just got these on eBay and I'm wondering how to install them? Do they come with instructions or do ...

How do you install the Shift Trims?

I just got these on eBay and I'm wondering how to install them?

Do they come with instructions or do I have to figure it out myself? Is it an easy task or something that requires a bit time?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

PS: I did a search but didn't see a topic like this before. However, it is getting late and my eyes did perhaps missed it. Sorry if I did miss it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Search www.scoobymods.com. You may need a Dremel to do the install.

Sinister

I searched it as "Shift Trim" but it didn't come up?!

Looks like its not there.

I hear you need a dremel and a drill to get it to fit. From there it looks pretty self explanitory.
    No one will truely be free until nerd persecution ends.

pityr - you will need a dremel and drill - it can be kind of a PITA. Anyway, here is what I did - dont have a camera, so wil try and explain as well as I can.
    First - unscrew shift knob (duh) and take the plastic part with the shift boot attached to it out. From there, you can turn it over, and detach the shift boot to give you just the plastic piece - i reattached the shift boot afterwards. Lay the shifter trim over the hole - its didnt fit, so tape it in place, and then mark with a pencil on the underside the bits you need to dremel out - then dremel, and it slides right in.
    After you have it fitting, use your drill to drill through the shifter trim bolt holes, and through the plastic ring attached to the bottom of the shift boot. From there, just tighten down the bolts and make sure its lined up right. I had to use some spacers between the shift boot ring and the center console piece to make it tight - you might have to play that by ear. I will try and borrow a digi cam tomorrow or the next day and post pix, but no guaruntees.
    best of luck
    - DC
    PS - sorry if this writeup sucks, but if you just take things apart and look at them, its a pretty easy install.
    "Let me never be accused of standing between a Charlestonian and his drink" - J. Kuhn

can someone tell me with a guide on how to do it
    thanks

this sti trim cost me $130

the final result

1. i had alot of trouble removing the momo sports gear knob but i managed to take it off after some hard turning.

2. the center dash was easy to remove..there wasnt any screws at all. someone told me to pull up on the middle part where the mirror controls were.. just lift it upwards and becarefull with the alarm pad where theres a strip cable behind it. i nearly snap that cable off..

3. after alot of mucking around with the middle piece, i managed to get the leather boot of the gear knob..simply pull it hard enough and it pops off it.. the leather boot was harder to get off from the dash piece.. i snap one of the plastics..

4. the way that i install this dont really need the plastic sticks that hold the boot ring so i didnt really care.

5.the shift trim need more room where the 6 screw holes will be, so i used a razor blade and i cut little slots where its shown in pink.

6.after i made the trim snug fit in the dash, i notice the plastic boot ring was too wide to be placed back on there while the trim was in the dash so i had to turn the plastic up-side down so the flat side is facing the bottom of the dash.. i had to remove the boot from the plastic and re-glued it back on to the plastic using Kwik Grip Contact adhesive... took abit of mucking around to get it to stick.. becarful not to get the glue stuff on ur boot cos it wont come off!!!

7.after all the glue has dryed i started drilling the holes matching up with the trim.. yes i even drilld thru the leather boot,, i hope its ok because its all glued on.
    the screws was put in and tighten

heres what it looks like after all that.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.