OK...full front speaker install with pics!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on OK...full front speaker install with pics! within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; SO, just out of curiousity today, I decided to try installing my Infinity Reference 6.5" speakers in my front doors. ...

OK...full front speaker install with pics!

SO, just out of curiousity today, I decided to try installing my Infinity Reference 6.5" speakers in my front doors. Not only did they fit, they fit PERFECTLY. Let me give you the rundown....

Tools required: #2 philips, #3 philips, #2 flathead
    Parts required: New speakers (duh), front door spacers from 96-99 Outback with wire harnesses.

For starters, open this link in a new window. I'll run through the pics in the order in which they're on the page.

The first pic is a comparison of the two speakers. The Infinity is mounted in the speaker spacer that came in the front door of my old Outback. This is important later.

In the second pic, we see the first screw that must be removed. It's a #2 philips inside the door armrest.

Third pic is the second screw, also a #2 philips.

Fourth pic is a closeup of the door armrest pulled out. On the back of that piece, you have to remove the wire harness for the window switches. I have yet to get that out. There are 3 screws (#2 philips) on the back of the switch panel. Take those out. There is also a gold screw in the middle of the hole you've created (#3 philips) that you have to remove.

Pic five is the small plastic triangle in the upper corner of the door. The rest of the operation is slightly easier if you remove it. Take the flathead screwdriver and slide it into the top of the triangle, prying down. It will come right off.

In pic six, notice the two pink plastic things at the top of the door. These hold the top of the door panel to the door. You need to pull from the bottom until you release the plastic clips that hold the panel to the door. You'll hear them pop. Be sure not to pull the weatherstripping. It's attached to the door itself and not the panel. When you pull the door panel out far enough, the plastic surround on the door handle will pop off. Once this happens, simply slide the door panel straight up and it will come right off.

Pic seven is a shot of the original Subaru "upgraded" front door speaker. There is a triangular plastic frame around it held by three screws (#2 philips). Remove all three screws and detach the harness from the back of the speaker.

Here's the fun part! The spacers that came with my Outback came with a seperate wiring harness. It has the male version of the plug in the WRX door on one end and a pair of clips on the other end that will fit most aftermarket speakers. Basically, it allowed me to plug the Infinitys in with absolutely no effort and they were spaced perfectly.

Now that I'm looking, the spacers on the Subaru upgraded speakers are the exact same thickness as the Outback ones, but they don't come with the harness. Anyway, stock spacers highly recommended, but the 96-99 Outback ones have that extra harness that makes it OH so easy.

The last picture is of the installed speaker. Absolutely no fitment problems at all. I now have beautiful bass from my doors!

Now if only I could get my underseat sub to work......
    Last edited by djrez4; 02-23-2003 at 06:39 PM.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

This is really helpful good work man.

thanks for the post. im about to do the install when i get some spacers. I picked up the same infinity reference except I got the components so i get to bother with the tweeter install too

i hope the rear door speakers arent too bad

for anyone who needs spacers (anyone who's upgrading to 6.5's), contact "East Coast Scooby" on the NASIOC forums. he made me some at a fair price. He's made lots for people so they should work well.
    2003 WRBlue Pearl Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan
    For Go: APEX'i AVC-R, Godspeed Uppipe, Samco IC Hoses
    For Show: JUN Eyelids, Clear Side-Markers, Momo RaceAir Shift Knob
    For Handling: Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Cusco Rear Sway Bar

Question

Is there anywhere one can order a set of the Outback spacers?

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice guide! I don't want to get any new speakers though since there's this nasty rattle in the passenger front door. No idea why. Whenever there's bass, it rattles. The speaker isn't blown though..

Oh well...would be nice to have new speakers some day..
    2010 SSM STI

Originally posted by daring
    for anyone who needs spacers (anyone who's upgrading to 6.5's), contact "East Coast Scooby" on the NASIOC forums. he made me some at a fair price. He's made lots for people so they should work well. [/B]
    or you can go to circuit city but they might charge more, or if you're lucky they may charge less (ive heard as low as $7 but when i asked they said $40). also i'm sure any real audio shop will make you some though prices will vary

Originally posted by daring
    I actually discovered that they're the same spacers as the OE for the WRX. The only difference was the wiring harness that came with them. It made everything SO much easier. Call up your local Parts department and ask them to order you the front speaker harnesses for the older model Outback. Mine was a '96, but I assume that any year up to '99 would work.

BTW, Jim, if you have the upgraded sound system, you can see the tweeters when you take the door panel off. Just from looking at them, I doubt you'll have any trouble with the install. If you have the basic system, I'm not sure if the brackets will be there for the tweaters or not. You could either mount the tweets directly to the door or order the bracket from Subaru. I think the using bracket would provide better sound for you.
    Last edited by djrez4; 03-05-2003 at 12:59 AM.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

I don't plan on upgrading the speakers, yet. Maybe sometime before my car dies. *shrug* But I've been wondering how to take the door panel off because I'm going to dynamat all four speakers. I hate rattles! Thanks for the info!

Does anyone have the scooby part numbers for the outback spacers?
    No one will truely be free until nerd persecution ends.

Anyone on that part number? I want to go get them and dont want to order the wrong spacer
    '12 WRB Sedan

i have an extra set of spacers if you want to buy them off me

they were made by East Coast Scooby form nasioc

I'll sell them to anyone who wants them for $25-shipped (paypal or anything) and i can ship them out super fast

I bought them but they took like 3 weeks to get here and by the time they were here I didnt need them anymore since I had some others made and my speakers put in. They are still brand new and are actually much better than the ones I had made for myself, but I don't want to re-install spacers so I'm just selling them.

Let me know if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
    Nice guide! I don't want to get any new speakers though since there's this nasty rattle in the passenger front door. No idea why. Whenever there's bass, it rattles. The speaker isn't blown though..

Oh well...would be nice to have new speakers some day..
    I had that same problem, I put in some shims in between the door and the panel and I have not had a problem since.
    96 Mustang: Shorty Headers, X-pipe, Electronic cut out, Air silencer Delete, K&N air filter, really sticky tires
    (14.32 @ 96.7mph)

02 bugeye: exedy oem clutch, kybAGX struts, momo short-throw shifter, steel braided brake lines, stoptech rotors and stock rims (the 17inch wheel just weighed too much), 14.232 @ 94.75mph

nice pics. dont forget while youve got the panel off go ahead and lose the factory tweets (that have horrible clarity) and get you an aftermarket set...... that is if you dont mind hole-sawing your a-pillars.

Thanks this helped me out a lot!!!!

Where are the pictures of the door removal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast