Disable automatic AC with Defogger - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Disable automatic AC with Defogger within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Heh, finally remembered to do this to my '02 yesterday. Worked as advertized. Thanks Wade! T.J....

Heh, finally remembered to do this to my '02 yesterday. Worked as advertized.

Thanks Wade!

T.J.
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

well, i'm pretty new to mods and to my car too. i got a new 05 wrx wagon. and i want to do this mod.

now my question is do i need to disconnect the battery before doing any of the steps? will i get a shock if i don't disconnect it?

if i have to disconnect the battery, what do i need to do after i reconnect the battery back on?

thanks,

ray

Quote Originally Posted by WRayX
    well, i'm pretty new to mods and to my car too. i got a new 05 wrx wagon. and i want to do this mod.

now my question is do i need to disconnect the battery before doing any of the steps? will i get a shock if i don't disconnect it?

if i have to disconnect the battery, what do i need to do after i reconnect the battery back on?

thanks,

ray

I didn't disconnect it. I guess it couldn't hurt.
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

Anybody confirm if the compressor always comes on with defrost on the '05? I've noticed that sometimes the A/C light comes on - most likely when I turn the fan to auto (or accidentally leave in auto-mode for too long while switching from off to one of the on fan settings). However typically the A/C doesn't light up if I switch on the fan. Not sure if the compressor is coming on and I just don't hear it with the radio on all the time.
    2005 World Rally Blue WRX Sportwagon
    Biatch totalled my 2002 WRB WRX Sportwagon
    I miss my bugeye.
    Image is nothing, performance is everything. All your rice be ownz by us.
    If you're not going to spend your money on women or alcohol, you might as well spend it on cars.

I just performed this mod on my 04 WRX wagon. But instead of snipping/desoldering any wires, all I did was removed the silver metal clip that activates the switch. The metal clip pulls right off with a needle nose pliers and can be reinstalled easily.

Just my 2 cents.

Jimmy

I don't understand why you want to disable this. Why go through that problem when you can just click on the ac button and it turns off? unless you are that lazy.
    2005 Ubaru Impreza WRX Sedan Crystal Grey Metallic
    Mods: In my profile
    http://www.myspace.com/scottycruz

Quote Originally Posted by Wade-0
    If you don't know this already, the AC comes on when you have the dial on DEFOG or DEFOG+HEATER (the two rightmost positions). There is no way to turn it off.
    here you go lazy...

-tp
    The 202 Wagon
    Bugeye Mafia "Silent But Deadly Ass-sasin"
    "Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in!"

Quote Originally Posted by Teep
    here you go lazy...

-tp
    It does turn off on 05 wagon. I just found out last weekend when I was warming up the car waiting for my better half to get ready to leave. All windows fogged and wipers froze up to the windshield. So I turned it to defrost and AC kicked in. I was like fsck and hit the AC dial and it turned off. I was like sweeeet....
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

The light goes off but the compressor stays on.

Great mod, unscrewed the switch and all is now great.

all the air that comes through the vents passes over the evaporator, whether or not it is on, with the a/c. the point of the compressor coming on with defog is to remove moisture out of the air. blowing wet air over your windows will not help get them cleared any where as fast.

if your worried about performance at the track your probally going wot down the track which will desengage the magnetic clutch of the compressor.

just my two cents.
    07 white STi in CT

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ but on a road course you're not WFO all the time.. duh..
    still a worthwhile mod... I jus do it cause I hate how my car drives different with def. on with the compressor kickin on n off on it's own will... I like to make those kinda choices for myself thank you...

I'll be doing this sometime next week when I have my dash apart for my new radio install. Should be fun my dash is gonna be in pieces ... makes me sad. I just got the car like 3 weeks ago haha.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123