need some clarification on wiring boost gauge

This is a discussion on need some clarification on wiring boost gauge within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; After reading tons of boost gauge install threads, I still have a couple questions. When it says 'tap' into such ...

need some clarification on wiring boost gauge

After reading tons of boost gauge install threads, I still have a couple questions. When it says 'tap' into such and such wire; do I just cut existing wire and twist in new gauge wire and tape them with electrical tape? Or do I use those plastic cap things to splice the wires together? I feel pretty comfortable with the rest of the install, but I've never messed with the electrical in my car before.

I also haven't decided where to wire it in at. I've read that the radio, clock, cigarette lighter are all good places. Do the 04's have a stock plug for a boost gauge in the wiring somewhere? I think I read that the 02' and 03' do. I have the prosport electrical boost gauge by the way.

Lastly, the rubber grommett...do I drill a hole in the rubber piece? Otherwise how do I get the grommett back in there with the wires coming out?

Thanks!
    04' WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

use those plastic cap things
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

you can wire in to the light on your cigarette lighter, you can eliminate that light entirely or tap into it. nice thing about that is the light in the gauge will light up when you turn your lights (useful huh). it's really easy to get at that light, just pop off the shifter surround and feed the wire where you want it to go.
    Infantry leads the way

Banned
    DONT use those twist tie things save some time and wire splicing by buying a couple of pinch type wire taps. They will pinch around the wire of choice w/out cuting the wire.

Yeah you can just use some wire taps from your local hardware store. Either that or you could just solder the wires.

for clarification tapping would mean you have 1 wire running from point 1 to point 2. You also want point 1 to run to a separate point on a separate wire (point 3). Therefore you connect your wire wich you wish to tap to a point on wire 1-2 so that now point 1 runs to both point 2 and point 3. It's like a fork in the road...

I'm sorry to revive such an old thread. But I have the same issue. I have no idea what I'm doing as far as the electrical goes, and when you say I can use the cigarette lighter area, does that mean the boost gauge must be mounted in that area?
    Noah | Bugeye Mafia #301

02 MBP WRX Wagon "Annabelle"

Quote Originally Posted by frypod View Post
    I'm sorry to revive such an old thread. But I have the same issue. I have no idea what I'm doing as far as the electrical goes, and when you say I can use the cigarette lighter area, does that mean the boost gauge must be mounted in that area?
    as long as your wire will reach to tap into the power at the cigarette lighter. you can mount your gauge where ever you want to. if its not long enought you might be able to solder more wire to it to make it longer. you can also tap into the power wire in the radio.
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

I Support ClubWRX
    As long as you just have one gauge, the clock wiring is the easiest to tap, since all wires are clearly labeled on the back of the clock itself. I wouldn't hook up more than one gauge there since the OEM clock wiring likely couldn't saafely hold up to the current draw of more than one, but I've had my Defi boost gauge tapped into the clock wiring for months with no issues. It saves you from tearing apart the whole dash too. You can get the proper wire tap connectors from radio shack for just a couple bucks.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I hate to be the guy to keep kicking this old dead horse-thread, but does anyone have a pic of the back of the clock wiring or the cigarette lighter with the boost gauge wires (maybe even before and after)? That would be super helpful for me...I'd rather not botch things like an amateur...which I am....

I Support ClubWRX
    I think you're psyching yourself out more than you need to. First, remove the clock pod. Take a flat screwdriver (the wider, the better) and carefully wedge the clock pod out. It's easier to start in the back (toward the windshield). For me, the front clips were very stiff, so I ended up removing the front air vents, and pushing the clock up from underneath.

Once the pod is popped out, take a look at the back of the clock, right where the electrical plug fits it. Each connection is clearly labeled. Just label each wire before unplugging the clock, then you're good to go. If you're feeling brave, you can clip off the clock power plug, but I just used vampire clips to tap off each wire, so if I need to go back to stock, I haven't damaged any of the wiring.

Don't worry about breaking the clock pod pulling it out. It's pretty tough, just use even pressure, and it will pop out just fine. I had never worked on cars before I did this, and I was surprised at how easy it is. You can disassemble nearly the entire dash in just a few minutes.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth