used boost gauge install help?!

This is a discussion on used boost gauge install help?! within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I searched around, but didnt see anything about my particular question. SO i bought a used Sport Comp boost gauge, ...

Red face used boost gauge install help?!

I searched around, but didnt see anything about my particular question.

SO i bought a used Sport Comp boost gauge, but it didnt come with the tubing. Im having a ***** of a time finding this tiny ass vinyl tubing that it came with.

Now the question. Theres 3 different "fittings" for the gauge. One that seems to be just a reducer that attaches to the fitting on the gauge, a small bead (compression fitting?) that goes over the tube, and then a fitting that attaches to the reducer, that takes the dube and compression fitting inside. Do I actually need this reducer, compression fitting, attachment fitting combo, or can i just get a brass fitting that will attach a vaccume line right to the "reducer"?

I've attached pics of the parts. The order of the parts is compression fitting (with part of the origional tube still in it) the reducer, and the coupler.

I'd appreciate a had. went to the store today to get hose and a t-fitting, but found no luck on the hose the right side.. or a t-fitting for that matter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0158.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You don't have to use that type of compression fitting.

You can use a barbed fitting that accepts a softer tube.

Also, I think Autozone does carry a simlar tubing set as you have shown. Look near the gauges.

See here:

Boost Gauge fitting suggestion

You would need a "Barbed x Female pipe" for the back of the gauge. Probably this one:

44555K123
    Brass Double-Barbed Vacuum Tube Fitting Barbed X NPT Female for .17" Tube Id, 1/8" NPT

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Later,
    Patrick
    RSX-S
    Sold: '03 WRX Wagon (bugeyes rock!)

Quote Originally Posted by pweizman View Post
    You don't have to use that type of compression fitting.

You can use a barbed fitting that accepts a softer tube.

Also, I think Autozone does carry a simlar tubing set as you have shown. Look near the gauges.

See here:

Boost Gauge fitting suggestion

You would need a "Barbed x Female pipe" for the back of the gauge. Probably this one:

44555K123
    Brass Double-Barbed Vacuum Tube Fitting Barbed X NPT Female for .17" Tube Id, 1/8" NPT

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Later,
    Patrick

Thanks for the help. I didnt think it would have an effect. I decided to go thru McMaster since i can just get all the parts at once. Obviously its not gonna get done today, but it will definatly get done right the first time this way. I tend not to trust the plastic crap they have at autozone/pep boys anyways.