customizing gauge pod
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on customizing gauge pod within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I was a little bored over the weekend and I have been thinking about doing this for some time. I ...

customizing gauge pod

I was a little bored over the weekend and I have been thinking about doing this for some time. I have an Autometer center dash gauge pod with Prosport gauges in it. As all of you know with Prosport gauges they come with these little slide on visors for each gauge and I just slid them on and put the gauges in the gauge pod for the time being. The problem was it looked unfinished and just weird plus the side of the visor blocked some of the gauge view. Here is a picture of the Autometer gauge pod by itself:

Here is a picture of the Prosport gauge with its visor:

Here is a picture of the gauge pod with the gauges holding the visors on the gauge pod:

First I cut the visors in halve, only being interested in the top halve, and used super glue to glue them to the gauge pod. Then using some left over Bondo I packed bondo into the gap between the visors and the gauge pod and plenty into the v between each gauge since I will need to round these areas. Here is a picture of the pod with glued visors and Bondo before sanding began:

Then using a combination of dremel with 120 grit sanding drum and 120, 220, 320, and 1000 grit sand paper I worked the bondo down smooth as shown here:

had to keep adding bondo until the surface was flush

After the bondo was smother I sprayed 2 coats of a sandable primer to remove any possible left over scratches from sanding. Then after about 4 coats of a closs black paint this is the finished product... an Autometer center dash gauge pod with visors for the gauges, I think this is how they should be made.

with gauges

if you have done any custom gauge pod work also throw up a picture
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

good work>

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Much better. Nice mod
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

very cool
    New EnglandF4
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #010

"Get out of my head!"

I just put my prosport oil press. and egt gauges into my autometer pod and thought about doing the exact same thing. Very nice work. I'm glad to see that it can be done well.

Please excuse the shiny dash from armor-all wipes. I need to try something else. Also they aren't hooked up yet, so my car isn't actually about to explode:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gaugecluster2.jpg  
    '02 PSM WRX Sedan, Cobb AP V1 Stg.1, Perrin UPP, Borla XR-1, and plenty more.

Quote Originally Posted by DTwrx View Post
    "Get out of my head!"

I just put my prosport oil press. and egt gauges into my autometer pod and thought about doing the exact same thing. Very nice work. I'm glad to see that it can be done well.

Please excuse the shiny dash from armor-all wipes. I need to try something else. Also they aren't hooked up yet, so my car isn't actually about to explode:
    did you grind away at the edges of the gauge pod a bit till it fit inside the hole instead of sitting on top?
    04 WRX Java Black
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

Quote Originally Posted by bkotzman00 View Post
    did you grind away at the edges of the gauge pod a bit till it fit inside the hole instead of sitting on top?
    I did, yes. I used a hand-plane and some sand paper and now it fits flush with the rest of the dash.

Quote Originally Posted by DTwrx View Post
    I did, yes. I used a hand-plane and some sand paper and now it fits flush with the rest of the dash.
    I like it will most likely do the same I also worked on my sender unit and have pics for you if you still want them
    04 WRX Java Black
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ynotajb View Post
    good work>
    +1
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Quote Originally Posted by bkotzman00 View Post
    I like it will most likely do the same I also worked on my sender unit and have pics for you if you still want them
    yes, that would be great. thanks.

That looks way better than the "concert shell" look !
    Good freakin work and thanks for the idea. The hoods come free with the prosport gauges and the autometer is only 45 bucks and is angled towards the driver which is an added bonus. I wonder how it would work on the 60MM prosport gauges. HMMMMMMMMMMMM ! Best post Ive seen in daze.......

Gotta give you props Ben for being a true DIY'er.........It turned out looking awsome.........
    PSM Bugeye..Cobb Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by Robman7835 View Post
    Gotta give you props Ben for being a true DIY'er.........It turned out looking awsome.........
    what till you see the ideas that I am cooking up for the ic, did one already a high temp ceramic coating over the whole ic (except for the fins to maximize cooling) inorder to help reduce heat soak. then looking to make my own massive turbo to ic hose and finally some cooling fans for under the ic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 102_2227.jpg  
    Last edited by bkotzman00; 01-23-2007 at 09:04 PM.
    04 WRX Java Black
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

I'd say you've been pretty busy......Have you mounted up that IC yet???....and have you noticed any differences???
    PSM Bugeye..Cobb Stage 2

And the fans under the IC sounds like a really cool idea.....shoot me some pics when you work out all the bugs.........
    PSM Bugeye..Cobb Stage 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast