Differences between wideband and narrowband AFR gauge?

This is a discussion on Differences between wideband and narrowband AFR gauge? within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I've done a search on this but i haven't come up with a definitive answer. from what i understand a ...

Differences between wideband and narrowband AFR gauge?

I've done a search on this but i haven't come up with a definitive answer. from what i understand a wideband has its own dedicated "wideband" O2 sensor, and is about 3-4 times more expensive, but much more accurate. a narrowband sensor can splice right into the stock O2 sensor.

can you take a regualr afr gauge like this one here and plug it into a dedicated wideband O2 sensor? if so where can i find one of these special sensors?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    There is a huge difference in wide vs narrow band 02 sensors. Wide band typically use the bosch developed UEGO sensor/cable setup, which allows for precise A/F measurements above the 1:5 ratio that a narrow band (stock setup) can provide. This is significant in that a modified car needs feedback greater than 1:5 ration for A/Fs if you truly want good control of those same A/Fs.

I can't say anything about the guage you posted but since it does not specify a UEGO sensor connection, my bet it it would use the standard stock narrow band sensor and thus, not provide a truly accurate or defined measurement.

Check this out for some detailed inforarmation:
    http://www.performancetrends.com/wide_band_uego.htm

If you do a google search for "A/F wideband" you'll see many examples of units to purchase. In fact, the link I put above has some very nice units for sale. Like you discovered though, these are not cheap. Just be sure they spec out as a UEGO type as many vendors out there say they are "wideband" when in fact, they aren't. To me, it needs the UEGO to be true.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    There is a huge difference in wide vs narrow band 02 sensors. Wide band typically use the bosch developed UEGO sensor/cable setup, which allows for precise A/F measurements above the 1:5 ratio that a narrow band (stock setup) can provide. This is significant in that a modified car needs feedback greater than 1:5 ration for A/Fs if you truly want good control of those same A/Fs.

I can't say anything about the guage you posted but since it does not specify a UEGO sensor connection, my bet it it would use the standard stock narrow band sensor and thus, not provide a truly accurate or defined measurement.

Check this out for some detailed inforarmation:
    http://www.performancetrends.com/wide_band_uego.htm

If you do a google search for "A/F wideband" you'll see many examples of units to purchase. In fact, the link I put above has some very nice units for sale. Like you discovered though, these are not cheap. Just be sure they spec out as a UEGO type as many vendors out there say they are "wideband" when in fact, they aren't. To me, it needs the UEGO to be true.
    Sorry if this is a dumb question: but i can get my wide band sensor like this one " http://www.prosportgauges.com/Wideba...%20sensors.htm " and then i just need a AFR gauge with a UEGO sensor connection? And thats it right?

Registered User TheFugitiveMind's Avatar
    innovative motorsports LC-1 Kit. should be about 300shipped through www.tunertools.com
    2006 Aspen White STi
    Stage 2 Open Source Road Tune
    A bunch of bushings from TiC

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitiveMind View Post
    innovative motorsports LC-1 Kit. should be about 300shipped through www.tunertools.com
    http://tunertools.com/proddetail.asp?prod=IN-3769

is this what i need? + a AFR gauge that has a UEGO connection ofcourse... right?

thanks again

edit: http://tunertools.com/proddetail.asp?prod=AEM-30-4100
    i think this would be better, full kit with a gauge?
    Last edited by ezzzey; 06-24-2007 at 07:35 PM.