06-Non Dimm Mirror-HARDWIRED! Small Writeup and Pics inside....woottttt

This is a discussion on 06-Non Dimm Mirror-HARDWIRED! Small Writeup and Pics inside....woottttt within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; What's up guys, after much debate with myself, I decided to dive in and attempt to install the hardwire system ...

06-Non Dimm Mirror-HARDWIRED! Small Writeup and Pics inside....woottttt

What's up guys, after much debate with myself, I decided to dive in and attempt to install the hardwire system for my V1. I have a 2006 limited wagon with NO Auto Dimming Mirror.

Ok, so first using a taped (As to not scratch or tear) flat head screw driver, insert the tip into the middle-bottom notch and apply so torque, you'll feel the plastic light covering pop out pretty easily:

Next, you'll want a phillips screw driver. Unscrew the two mount screws that hold the light fixture into the frame of the car.

In cars without the Auto Dim mirror, you'll see the wire setup, taped inside the head liner a little bit tucked away in the right corner, I believed its taped in there with blue electrical tape, cut this tape and remove wire and harness.

Now, if your better with wires then i am you can probably recognize the ground wire from the hot one, I used a volt meter to find it. Just touch the ground end to a piece of metal and the hot end to the wire and youll see which one is hot real quick.

I first began by grounding the V1 unit. There is a screw that is on the frame of the car in the center of the empty fixture area, unscrew it a little bit, slip the V1 ground wire around the screw and tighten and you have a nicely grounded black wire.

Now for the actual hard wiring....I just used a simple 22 guage quicksplice, you can find it anywhere, pepboys, napa, autozone etc....Cut the blue snap piece off the v1 red wire, and youll be left with the unit with a plain red wire leading away from it. Take the splicer, and attach it to the hot wire, BEFORE THE MATING CLIP, this way, should you ever want to add the AUTO dim mirror you can, then with the red v1 wire and the hot wire together in the splicer close it using a wrench or a vice grip, this action forces piece of metal through the wires creating a bond and giving power to the v1.

Test the v1 by sticking the voltmeter in the area where the v1's fuse is, you should read between 11.5 and 12.5 volts.

To lead the telephone wire, I used a small maybe .5 mm flimsly copper piping. I taped one end of the phone wire to it and led it through the head liner out by the mirror. I then sort of poorly jammed all the wires into the head liner, and closed up the unit. Some may prefer to better tie the wires together but I was lazy and my electrician buddy who check out the job said I was in no risk of melting or burning anything.

This all sounds super complicated probably, but I'm hear for questions on the post or pm, and with the pictures, although there aren't really enough, are very helpful. Hope this helps some people
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Light Unit Removed.jpg   quicksplice.jpg   Telephone wire pulled through.jpg   v1cliptip.gif  
    gJb Hawk-Eye Alliance #002

Mets
    Giants
    Rangers

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice write up I am going to do this I think
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

I just took a look up there of my '07 sedan and if i recall there are NOT any screws up there (no moonroof = no motor = no screws from motor to frame), later tonight i'll see if there's anywhere i can ground to. Can anyone give me some input as to if there's anything wrong with splicing the V1's ground to the ground wire with of the auto-mirror harness or if it's ok to kinda wrap the ground around the screw used to hold up the map light?

Thanks.
    Last edited by vocaltrance; 01-02-2007 at 05:20 PM.