Subaru WRX Forum banner

Annoying Seat Belt Chime Fix

66K views 55 replies 37 participants last post by  XJman 
#1 ·
Got this great tip off Stargazer's STI blog...it works :)

One of the "features" on the 2006 Imprezas is that if you don't buckle your seatbelt within 30 seconds, it turns on an incessant beep. Now, I never drive without my seatbelt on. I feel naked without it. But there are the occasional times where I'll be in my garage or parked somewhere working in/on the car and that beep is very annoying. The owner's manual does explain how to temporarily disable it, but it reverts back to normal the next time you start the car. Here's how to disable it more permanently:

1. Turn the ignition to ON. The engine should be off.
2. Within 30 seconds, insert the buckle in and out 20 times. You can hold the release button down if you like. Just make sure to remove the buckle all the way so that it "registers" in and out.
3. The next time you start the engine, you'll get the initial seatbelt chime, but it won't give you the continual warnings afterwards. You should notice right away that after the initial seatbelt chime, the seatbelt light will turn off and no longer flash.

I had to try it a couple of times until I got it right, but it works. To reset it back to normal, just disconnect the negative connector on the battery for 30 seconds and reattach.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sweet, thanks for the info man! Thats one thing that like and don't like about my 06 STI!

Its great because now I always wear my seat belt, but there are times where I'm just sitting in the car playing around with something and it keeps going on and off.... Piss off!!!

Anyways I think I'll go try it right now!!!

Peace

#7 ·
Make it stop!! AAHH!

:mad: I can only get it to temporarily stop. No beep but light is on....blinks w/no sound. When I shut off/restart it's back doing this to me:sadwave: while beeping(more like laughing). Let me see if I'm doing it right. Turn key to ON, not acc. Quickly insert latch and remove atleast 20 times(I'm just pushing the release button)..... Now, do I leave belt latched or unlatched? And finally, do I start the car immediately or return key to off position. :mad: This is crazy man.:rotfl: LOL. I must figure this out.

#11 ·
:mad: I can only get it to temporarily stop. No beep but light is on....blinks w/no sound. When I shut off/restart it's back doing this to me:sadwave: while beeping(more like laughing). Let me see if I'm doing it right. Turn key to ON, not acc. Quickly insert latch and remove atleast 20 times(I'm just pushing the release button)..... Now, do I leave belt latched or unlatched? And finally, do I start the car immediately or return key to off position. :mad: This is crazy man.:rotfl: LOL. I must figure this out.

I have the same problem, I am doing this the exact same way, and as soon as i restart my car, the beeping is back.
What are you guys doing differently?

thanks

#15 ·
I did it successfully on my 2nd attempt. Turn car to Ignition on, but don't turn the car on...Leave the button pressed in, but just insert, pull out, insert, pull out 20+ times (couple extra don't hurt) within the 30 second period...leave unbuckled and immediately turn the Ignition off.

Turn it back on, start the car...and the chime goes off initially, but is done after that! Even the little light goes away...

#20 ·
lol i was sitting in my car next to my school and the beep kept going and going so im thinking, fourmssss. found it forst try and it worked, some kid saw me jabbing it in and out and i told him what, well hes got the same damn car and just did it LOL first time too. THAT CHIME PISSED ME OFF SINCE DAY 1!

Thanks a lot!

#21 ·
I have an 08 WRX and this didn't work. But from what I'm reading in previous posts it looks like the earlier models alarm worked differently. My seatbelt alarm only sounds when the cars in gear and goes over a certain MPH (I think its btw 5-7 mph). This is a really good safety feature but it can get very annoying. Let me know if anyone finds any solutions.

#23 ·
Seat Belt Chime of Death!

Hey guys,

I'm new to the site just registered cause I really wanted to fill you in on what worked for me. This is probably the easiest method I've found, and for those of you like me who are having problems with the 20 times in 30 seconds method check this out.

1. Look under your drivers seat. (For me this was easiest from the rear seat).

2. You should see a set of about four wiring plugs under there. (this is on the 07 impreza model, not sure on others but you should have something very similar).

3. If 07* simply find the white plug

...(its the third one in if your looking from the back. In my car 3 of four are yellow plugs and have yellow tape covering the wires leading out of the plugs. The white one leading out is black. )

4. unplug the wiring plug.

5. Turn on the car.

6. Watch as only the light blinks a few times and then disappears!! No sound! :)

*(---if you don't have the 07 model, well just do what i did. trace the cable coming out of the base of your seat belt buckle connector and figure out where it leads. On mine underneath the seat it split into two cables, i actually tried unplugging the other one first and didn't work so tried the other one and it was the correct plug.---- )

#26 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm new to the site just registered cause I really wanted to fill you in on what worked for me. This is probably the easiest method I've found, and for those of you like me who are having problems with the 20 times in 30 seconds method check this out.

1. Look under your drivers seat. (For me this was easiest from the rear seat).

2. You should see a set of about four wiring plugs under there. (this is on the 07 impreza model, not sure on others but you should have something very similar).

3. If 07* simply find the white plug

...(its the third one in if your looking from the back. In my car 3 of four are yellow plugs and have yellow tape covering the wires leading out of the plugs. The white one leading out is black. )

4. unplug the wiring plug.

5. Turn on the car.

6. Watch as only the light blinks a few times and then disappears!! No sound! :)

*(---if you don't have the 07 model, well just do what i did. trace the cable coming out of the base of your seat belt buckle connector and figure out where it leads. On mine underneath the seat it split into two cables, i actually tried unplugging the other one first and didn't work so tried the other one and it was the correct plug.---- )
can you plug it back in easily or do you rip it out?

also for the 20 clicks thing mine just does its annoying beeping thing for like the first complete warning sequence - I believe 6 beeps and then it doesn't do it continuously - this is what is supposed to happen right?
is this what happens to you guys

also I just did the 20 clicks and actually if it is in the ON position you don't hear the door open chime and you don't hear the seatbelt chime b/c it was disengaged so people who had my same question the 20 clicks is a good easy solution

#24 ·
wow this seems too easy ill have to try it - I always wear my seat belt and will never not wear it. Just for auto X where I push my car - I like to have the power steering and brakes so I have it in on - listen to music.

This will be a great relief.

Does any1 know if you can get the driver door open thingy to turn off to? The alarm when the key is in and the door is open- Im pretty sure I can tell when my door is open:baaa:

#25 ·
wow this seems too easy ill have to try it - I always wear my seat belt and will never not wear it. Just for auto X where I push my car - I like to have the power steering and brakes so I have it in on - listen to music.

This will be a great relief.

Does any1 know if you can get the driver door open thingy to turn off to? The alarm when the key is in and the door is open- Im pretty sure I can tell when my door is open:baaa:
You could tape over the little spring return push button in the door well that activates the chime, but then your interior lights won't come on at night when you open the door.

This one will probably be a bit tougher to trace out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.