HOW-TO: DIY fiberglass sub enclosure '11 WRX Sedan

This is a discussion on HOW-TO: DIY fiberglass sub enclosure '11 WRX Sedan within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Hello, This is my first topic here at clubwrx and first how-to anywhere. Please don't be too harsh on the ...

Hello,
    This is my first topic here at clubwrx and first how-to anywhere.
    Please don't be too harsh on the flaming.

After a bunch of researching here on the forum I could not find a similar topic.

THE FOLLOWING PART IS NOT RELEVANT TO THE BUILD. FEEL FREE TO SKIP IT!

I'm going to start with a little history on the project. I wanted to put a sub in my car for a little bit better quality of the sound. A while ago I installed a 10'' Alpine Type R in a regular sub woofer enclosure. However after I had to move about 800 miles, I realized that a huge amount of the trunk space is completely useless because of the sub woofer. Even though it was all the way in the back (of the car) it did not allow me to put massive items (like suitcases) in the trunk. I could only fit one where now I can fit two.
    A couple of weeks back I decided it's time for a change so I went ahead and bought some fiberglass and resin.

THIS IS WHERE THE HOW-TO STARTS

What you will need is some fiber glass that can be bought from any hardware store. I purchased about 3 sq. m. which is about 32 sq. ft. I bought the Fiberglass cloth and not the fiberglass mat. The cloth is easier to work with.
    It looks like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fiberglass-cloth.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	140145
    I bought mine from Canadian Tire but I've seen it in AutoZone and in Menards as well.

You will also need fiber glass resin and hardener for it. It is usually sold in one package with the resin but check before you walk out of the store.
    I had to put about 10 drops of hardener for every 1 oz. of resin. For you it might be different. Read the instructions.

I also needed brushes... lots of them... I used 4 or 5. I went ahead and bought a package of 12 for $3 from the local dollar store. You will be throwing them away after every use.

Also get some sandpaper, a grinding machine of some sort (I used an angle die grinder) and a marker, some cardboard and a piece of plywood about 2x1.5 ft. You will be cutting this out. I stopped by my local music shop and bough black mat (the one that looks like the trunk) and a quick connection piece for the sub enclosure. If it is unclear what I am talking about there are pictures bellow, you will need tin foil and masking tape.

To get started I took out the trunk mat and took out the side liner from the left side of the trunk. You can use the right side too, I just had my wires running there already.

Name:	WP_20140313_14_22_21_Pro.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	140153

Next, I noticed there is a hollow space behind the liner. So I cut a big hole in it. This way I have more space for the sub. 10" speaker requires about 1 sq.ft. box.

Name:	2.jpg 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	140161

Once you take that side liner off, you will see a black wire behind it. You can easily take that and push it further back or into the side of the car so it gets out of the way. Just make sure you don't cut it or pinch it somewhere.

Name:	3.jpg 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	140169

With that done, I re-installed the side piece back on.

Now you will need to make the molding for the back of the enclosure.
    I shoved some towels and rugs in between the quarter panel and the inside of the car (where that pink towel is showing up). The reason for that is that you will need something there to be able to press with the brush. hen I used a ton of duct tape to connect the black side piece to the trunk. That green masking tape is as far out as I went with the fiber glass at this stage.

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	140177

Next, you take the tin foil and the masking tape and you go crazy on it. Every single sq. inch needs to have either tin foil. It does not let the resin through. Resin does soak in the masking tape though so be careful.
    Your end product at this point should look something like this:

Name:	5.jpg 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	140185

Now you have to take the fiberglass and the resin and put 2 or 3 layers. Remember, this is just the back molding it is not finished product. You can add more layers to it after it dries and you take it out of the car. (I added 2 more for a total of 4)

Name:	6.jpg 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	140193

Once it has dried you can take it out of the car. Do not forget to remove the duct tape and the towels/rugs from the back. This is what it should look like

Name:	7.jpg 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	140201

For the front, I used some sort of ply wood. Not sure of the exact name but any plywood would work.
    Take the cardboard and shape it in the shape in which you want your subwoofer face to be. I wanted mine to be flush with the inside of the quarter panel. (check the final picture to see exactly what I mean). Once the cardboard is shaped, outline it on the wood piece and cut it out.

To attach it to the fiberglass back:
    Put the fiberglass piece back in the car. Make sure it fits. Take the wood piece and put it where it is supposed to be after you are done. Mark 3 or 4 spots on the fiber glass and measure the space from those points to the front piece. Use some 1''x1'' wood pieces to cut them out in those measurements. Once that is done attach them to both the fiberglass and the wooden panel you cut out.:

Name:	8.jpg 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	140209

This is what it looks like from the side:

Name:	9.jpg 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	140217

It looks like I can only attach 10 images per post so I will reply to this topic with the rest pretty soon. I will try to get the rest tonight.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

This is what it looks like from the other side:

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	140225

I cut out a piece of wood for the bottom of the subwoofer. That way the speaker's weight is distributed not only on the face plate but also on the bottom where it will sit in the trunk.

Next I put on some cloth. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you what type of cloth it is exactly. My father-in-law had it from a previous sub he had made but he cannot translate the name of the cloth in English. It is very, very, very stretchable however. I stretched the cloth as much as I could to connect the back fiberglass piece with the front wooden piece.

Name:	11.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	140233

What you have to do after you stretch the cloth is to put some resin on it and wait for it to dry. After it dries put 2-3 layers of fiberglass with resin on top of the cloth. Once that is done you can sand or grind any rough edges. If it creates holes just add one or two pieces of fiberglass to patch them. It should come out to look like this:

Name:	15 (2).jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	140241

Now find a good place to attach the quick connection for the speaker wire. I found the best place for mine to be on the top right and to the side (when facing the sub woofer)" This is a picture from the back

Name:	16.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	140249
    And this is a picture of the quick connection I was talking about.

Name:	16 (2).jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	140257

Now I needed to figure out how to keep the sub woofer in place after everything is installed. So I decided to use a ton of Velcro stickers around the sub woofer. It holds well after taking some sharp turns.

All you have to do now is to upholster the whole enclosure with mat used for speakers. Then you hook the wires up, hook the speaker in, mount it and the speaker and you are all set. This is what mine looks like now.

Name:	19.jpg 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	140265

I know this is not an excellent tutorial and there may be a lot of questions. Please if something is unclear ask me and I will answer you and edit this post.

Thanks for reading!

That's really nice seems like you lost almost no trunk space.. - how does it sound ? I hear the sedan rattles a lot back there - also did you block the vent on that side ?

Btw thanks for sharing
    Last edited by poi88; 03-19-2014 at 04:48 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Great DIY! Looks awesome!
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    At first I was envisioning brightly painted fiber glass and amps and speakers everywhere.

Then I continued on.... Excellent work!

I Support ClubWRX
    THIS is a fantastic thread. Great work and great first DIY. You'll be a great asset to this site if you keep this up!
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

Actually it sounds just as good as the previous box which was bought from a car audio shop. The sedans do vibrate a LOT, you are correct, but there is nothing I can do about that since I can't hear exactly where the noise comes from.

When I was molding the back piece, I made sure to put some styrofoam around the vent. This way I am sure I got at least half an inch on each side of the vent even when the sub is in place.

Thank you everyone for the comments!!

Looks great!

Care to make me one?

(I might be serious haha)
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Excellent timing! I plan on making a sub box mold myself this weekend.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Glad I could help