Subaru WRX Forum banner

How to replace Bluetooth mic in factory location (WRX 08+)

56K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  donnyburklow 
#1 · (Edited)
I know, I know.. I spelled Bluetooth wrong in the title.

How to replace Bluetooth mic in factory location (WRX 08+)

This is a walkthrough on how to replace the factory Bluetooth with an aftermarket HU's Bluetooth mic.

The factory Bluetooth is located in the middle of the overhead light cluster.
The first step is to remove the covers of both lights. This can be done fairly easily with just your fingernail. You can see the 2 little clips holding it in. Just stick your fingernail in there and push forward to release the clips.

Next remove the 2 screws located here:

There are 3 clips holding the light cluster in. To remove the light cluster, use your nails and pull towards yourself to give the clips enough clearance to slip out.

Once out, this is what you should see (may look different depending on options installed). The little black box is the factory Bluetooth mic. Remove the 2 screws holding it in and move it aside.

Take your new Bluetooth mic and run the end of the cable through the head liner like so: (I used a flat head to guide the cable out)

Now run your cable along the liner and down to under your steering wheel and connect it to your HU. Use a credit card to guide the cable into the cracks.

By moving the factory mic over a bit, you can give yourself enough room to squeeze in your new mic. This is where it should sit:

Using some nice indoor double sided foam, stick a few pieces on your mic and put it in the empty space you created.

Put everything back together and you are done.
I did a quick test call and was told it sounds identical to the factory mic ("Like you are on speaker phone.")

Let me know if you have any questions.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
jling0311 said:
is there a reason why you just moved the oem mic and not remove it all together?
Well mainly because i didn't want to snip any wires. I didn't see any sort of clip or quick release to just pull it out. The other reason was because if for some reason I decided to sell the car I would most likely reinstall the OEM head unit and bluetooth mic and keep my new head unit.

#7 ·
The fact that he said Bluetoot numerous times is even funnier :rotfl:

#11 ·
Good luck, not that you're going to need it! It's a pretty simple job. It's been about 7 months now and I haven't had any problems with it. Like you said though, the only time anyone ever says they are having a hard time hearing me I'm usually on the freeway or have the windows open. Other than that I've been told it just sounds like I'm using speakerphone.

#14 ·
I've got the same exact problem with my Pioneer mic as well but I don't use that mic very often. I guess it has something to do with vibrations transmitting from the car to the mic via all the plastics around the mic plus the fact that its so close and not isolated from the bare bone metal roof. im gonna be playing around with it and see what comes of it. May be some sound isolation and some more of the thick double sided tape would help reduce noise and vibrations.

#15 ·
Great write up..I have a 2016 Forester and wanted to run a new mic from my factory HU to my steering column and d/c the old mic ... I can't find a place on the back of my HU to plug in a new mic ...am I missing something? If no plug, any reason I can't splice into t he factory mic and run a new mic off of the splice (d/c the factory mic)? thanks!

#16 ·
Ran into the problem of installing a new ILX-107 Alpine head unit into my vehicle this winter. After having to purchase a steering wheel control unit, microbypass for the e-brake.... everything seems to be working in the vehicle except my stock microphone which we spliced into correctly. This guide is my next best option so I will be attempting this :thumbup:

#17 · (Edited)
Just wanted to thank you very much for creating this thread and suggesting an easy way to replace the stock OEM mic with an aftermarket one. Like mentioned before I followed this yesterday and had total success installing, rewiring, and hiding the installation to make it perfect. Although I did do a few things differently;

1. I installed the wire and sent it along the side of Pillar B (Passenger side) rather then the drivers side. Found it to be easier to hook the wire from the dashboard behind where I was placing the ILX-107 head unit.

2. I also ended up cutting the OEM mic and removing it completely like someone had suggested previously in this thread.

Electronics Electrical wiring Technology Electronic component Electronic engineering

Electronics Electrical wiring Cable Technology Auto part

Auto part Electronics Technology Machine Vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.