How to replace Bluetoot mic in factory location (WRX 08+)

This is a discussion on How to replace Bluetoot mic in factory location (WRX 08+) within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I know, I know.. I spelled Bluetooth wrong in the title. How to replace Bluetooth mic in factory location (WRX ...

How to replace Bluetoot mic in factory location (WRX 08+)

I know, I know.. I spelled Bluetooth wrong in the title.

How to replace Bluetooth mic in factory location (WRX 08+)

This is a walkthrough on how to replace the factory Bluetooth with an aftermarket HU's Bluetooth mic.

The factory Bluetooth is located in the middle of the overhead light cluster.
    The first step is to remove the covers of both lights. This can be done fairly easily with just your fingernail. You can see the 2 little clips holding it in. Just stick your fingernail in there and push forward to release the clips.

Next remove the 2 screws located here:

There are 3 clips holding the light cluster in. To remove the light cluster, use your nails and pull towards yourself to give the clips enough clearance to slip out.

Once out, this is what you should see (may look different depending on options installed). The little black box is the factory Bluetooth mic. Remove the 2 screws holding it in and move it aside.

Take your new Bluetooth mic and run the end of the cable through the head liner like so: (I used a flat head to guide the cable out)

Now run your cable along the liner and down to under your steering wheel and connect it to your HU. Use a credit card to guide the cable into the cracks.

By moving the factory mic over a bit, you can give yourself enough room to squeeze in your new mic. This is where it should sit:

Using some nice indoor double sided foam, stick a few pieces on your mic and put it in the empty space you created.

Put everything back together and you are done.
    I did a quick test call and was told it sounds identical to the factory mic ("Like you are on speaker phone.")

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Last edited by oOTAGOo; 06-12-2013 at 11:43 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

is there a reason why you just moved the oem mic and not remove it all together?

Quote Originally Posted by jling0311
    is there a reason why you just moved the oem mic and not remove it all together?
    Well mainly because i didn't want to snip any wires. I didn't see any sort of clip or quick release to just pull it out. The other reason was because if for some reason I decided to sell the car I would most likely reinstall the OEM head unit and bluetooth mic and keep my new head unit.
    Last edited by oOTAGOo; 06-12-2013 at 11:41 AM.

I think the OEM mic sucks... people can never hear me on it.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

I Support ClubWRX
    "bluetoot", huh? That's weird, my toots are clear...

Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I can't stop chuckling at the title... "bluetoot"
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

The fact that he said Bluetoot numerous times is even funnier
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

... Dammit

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    I think the OEM mic sucks... people can never hear me on it.
    I suspect that sucky mic sound has more to do with the loud car with lack of baffling and stiff suspension (vibrating the mic, maybe). The degree to which I must repeat myself or shout with either factory or Pioneer mic is proportionate to my speed.

Oh, and thank you for this guide, TAG. It looks good and I will be relying on it heavily--going through a DIY phase.

Quote Originally Posted by DaWRXplz View Post
    Oh, and thank you for this guide, TAG. It looks good and I will be relying on it heavily--going through a DIY phase.
    Good luck, not that you're going to need it! It's a pretty simple job. It's been about 7 months now and I haven't had any problems with it. Like you said though, the only time anyone ever says they are having a hard time hearing me I'm usually on the freeway or have the windows open. Other than that I've been told it just sounds like I'm using speakerphone.

I just did it now. The mic was installed on the steering wheel column. Now it looks better.
    BTW thanks a ton for this post