Strange AC behaviour

This is a discussion on Strange AC behaviour within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I have a 2009 WRX; AC works fine when vehicle is moving and short stops. But, if I stop for ...

Strange AC behaviour

I have a 2009 WRX; AC works fine when vehicle is moving and short stops. But, if I stop for more than 5 or 10 minutes, the compressor disengages, and stays off. To make it cool again, I have to turn the AC off and on again. Also, if I begin moving the vehicle, it usually turns on again.

Already checked if the fans are working at those times, and they are. Although I don't think they're going fast enough (could this be another issue?). So, ideas, experiences?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio Bro! View Post
    I have a 2009 WRX; AC works fine when vehicle is moving and short stops. But, if I stop for more than 5 or 10 minutes, the compressor disengages, and stays off. To make it cool again, I have to turn the AC off and on again. Also, if I begin moving the vehicle, it usually turns on again.

Already checked if the fans are working at those times, and they are. Although I don't think they're going fast enough (could this be another issue?). So, ideas, experiences?
    There's usually a safety feature in all AC systems that if it detects low refrigerant level that it will disable engagement of the compressor to protect the system. Maybe you're borderline low on refrigerant. If that's the case you may want to have the dealership or a professional recharge your AC system.

It could also be as simple as a faulty compressor clutch relay.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Alright, I'll check on level. But, is this usual on a 4 year vehicle (bought on October 2008)?

I'll also replace the relay to eliminate that possibility.

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio Bro! View Post
    Alright, I'll check on level. But, is this usual on a 4 year vehicle (bought on October 2008)?

I'll also replace the relay to eliminate that possibility.
    I would say that it's debatable whether this is common for a car that's only 4 years old to have low refrigerant level. I believe all AC systems that have mechanical joints (joints attached by bolts) in the system to have a very-very slow leak over time.

There are so many variables to think about regarding AC systems. The items I mentioned above were the first ones to come up to mind.

Yeah I would say tackle the cheap options first (such as the relay which is easy to DIY). Then I would consult a professional to help diagnose the issue. AC systems are pretty hard and be dangerous to service without proper tools a knowledge.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

This happened to my old vehicle ('03 Galant), I had an wear mark on my condenser that lost refrigerant causing the compressor to kick off on low pressure. I had to get it filled every 6mo or so until I replaced the c.coil.