2012 Center console USB and AUX mod to work with aftermarket HUs
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2012 Center console USB and AUX mod to work with aftermarket HUs within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Hey Im sure this has been done before but I figured I'd post a pic of what I did in ...

2012 Center console USB and AUX mod to work with aftermarket HUs

Hey Im sure this has been done before but I figured I'd post a pic of what I did in case anyone is wondering how to keep their stock USB and AUX but be able to use them with an aftermarket HU. All I did was desolder the stock connectors from the circuit board and add a couple male connectors so that they'll plug into the HUs cable. I am using this with a Pioneer AVIC-X940bt and it works great. The best part for me is that if I want to return everything back to stock I can simply solder the stock connectors back in and be good to go. Let me know if you have any questions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

cool, I did something similar to my VW R32. It was tougher because the VW had an actual iPod dock to deal with, but yea, carefully solder each wire and it OWM dock in the arm rest worked with the Pioneer AVIC

Quote Originally Posted by Mf645 View Post
    cool, I did something similar to my VW R32. It was tougher because the VW had an actual iPod dock to deal with, but yea, carefully solder each wire and it OWM dock in the arm rest worked with the Pioneer AVIC
    You must have had the 2008 R32. I didnt have much for luxuries in my 2005 R32
    Last edited by wrx0to60; 06-17-2012 at 09:38 PM.

When you desolder all you do is heat up the solder points with the soldering iron right?

How are you liking the 940BT?
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    When you desolder all you do is heat up the solder points with the soldering iron right?

Im looking into the 940 BT too. Let us know how you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post

To desolder a single joint you would do like you said but the problem when delodering something like this is that there are too many connections that are holding the the thing to the board and you cant get them all hot at the same time. The way around this is to physically remove all the solder from the joint, so that way there is nothing left to hold it to the board and you can just pull it off. I use this: RadioShack® 45-Watt Desoldering Iron - RadioShack.com. It works really well and it is well worth the $12. Ive used it on all types of things. If you cant tell from the pic, all you do is suck away the solder once you heat it up. easy peasy

As for the X940BT Ive only had it in the car for 3 days now so I cant give you a full report but I can tell you that I love it right now. This is my first double din touch screen unit so take that into account too. I love being able to choose from so many different inputs; XM, FM, AM, IPod, SD, USB, AUX, DVD, Pandora, Aha, and have built in Nav on top of all that... couldnt ask for more. Im using it with an Android phone so I dont have access to advanced app mode but that doesnt really matter to me at the moment. It reacts well to all touch inputs as far as speed and only a light touch is needed. The nav works great and looks cool in the process.
    Last edited by wrx0to60; 06-17-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Requesting a detailed step by step if possible with links for products used

-Brian
    2012 SWP WRX hatch
    PERRIN TMIC (black) / PERRIN CAI (red) / PERRIN Radiator Shroud (red)
    Cobb Accessport / Invidia Q300 Catback / Invidia DP / SPT Boost Gauge
    Pioneer 7" Nav w/ backup camera / SPT STS / Red Hella's / Kartboy Bushing
    6K lowbeams 6K fogs 6k DRL / Grimmspeed Plate Relocation / Cobb Heat Shield
    Cobb Red Shift Knob / Rally Armor Mud Flaps / 08 STi center console swap

Quote Originally Posted by bratte88 View Post
    Requesting a detailed step by step if possible with links for products used

-Brian
    2012 SWP WRX hatch
    I second this, I would love a step-by-step

Quote Originally Posted by jplimack View Post
    I second this, I would love a step-by-step
    Unfortunately, I dont have the car anymore so cant do a step by step. The process really isn't difficult if you have a little soldering/electronics knowledge. Use the desoldering iron that I linked above to remove the existing connectors. Then take your pigtails that you plan to solder on, and plug them into the female connectors that are still on the board. Use a multimeter to determine which wire on the pigtail corresponds to which hole on the board. Make a note of what color goes where so when you go to solder it you don't forget. Thats about it. When I sold the car I returned this board back to stock with no problems. Everything worked great and nothing was permanently altered.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.