Noisy Cabin

This is a discussion on Noisy Cabin within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I have a stock WRX & find the exhaust noise in the cabin is just too loud, especially at the ...

Noisy Cabin

I have a stock WRX & find the exhaust noise in the cabin is just too loud, especially at the very beginning of the gear range (2000 - 2500 RPM). I have been told to add a resonator, but have seen mixed reviews on that. Any suggestions on how to quiet down the exhaust noise? I am not a DYI & will not spend 3K to soundproof the car. Please don't tell me to turn the radio up...it already sucks. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i have a 2011 WRX STi sedan and i want a LOUDER exhaust, maybe its just cuz im 17 and this is my first car tho

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by magicman909 View Post
    I have a stock WRX & find the exhaust noise in the cabin is just too loud, especially at the very beginning of the gear range (2000 - 2500 RPM). I have been told to add a resonator, but have seen mixed reviews on that. Any suggestions on how to quiet down the exhaust noise? I am not a DYI & will not spend 3K to soundproof the car. Please don't tell me to turn the radio up...it already sucks. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    Well, you bought a relatively cheap performance car. Sound deadening (or lack thereof) is one of the cost-cutting measures Subaru has used for years on the WRX to help keep it affordable. What year is your car? If its still under warranty, you're pretty much SOL. Having a resonator welded in may help some, but you probably wont want to do that on a brand new car.

If it's older, inspect the exhaust line. Is it rusted? Maybe there's an exhaust leak...

You're really making this very difficult since you will not DIY and you don't want soundproofing. Hate to break it to you but buying a roll of Dynamat and installing it in your doors and headliner is probably your best bet...

Good luck!

Sent from my CM7 Nook Color!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth