2011 WRX DRL disable?

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX DRL disable? within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Hello, New to Subie owneship and lovin' it. I would however really like to kill my DRL's; anyone know what ...

2011 WRX DRL disable?

Hello,

New to Subie owneship and lovin' it. I would however really like to kill my DRL's; anyone know what it takes?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

a simple google search yielded tons of results.

YouTube - How To Disable DRL in a Subaru Impreza

should be the same for your 2011 as 2008+
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

I had no idea was DRL stood for but after seeing that Youtube I'm gonna try that myself. Thanks dbya rx!
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Why would you want to disable them? In many European countries, using your lights all the time is required for safety. It makes your car more visible and depending on the study, results in a 10-30% decrease in accident rates. Why would you want to increase your accident rate that much when it's free?

Common myth dispelled:
    Running with your lights on all the time in a filament bulb increases the bulb life. How is this possible? Who has ever had a headlight go out while they're on? I've never heard of it. The filaments break when they're cold, not hot. They're brittle when cold but flexible when hot, so they won't break. I'm too lazy to look to see if the current WRX has a filament bulb, but I think it does. So you're safer and your bulbs last longer. My headlight switch in my '04 was never turned off, and won't be in my '11. The first thing I do when getting in my Porsche is turn on the lights. I never drive with them off. Safety first.....
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

If you live in a place like So Cal where it's sunny 99% of the time, DRL are nothing more than cosmetic. Personally I think they look bad so if it gets to the point where I need people to see me, I turn my freaking lights on. DRL may help accident rates but they look terrible and are not necessary in all locations.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    In many European countries, using your lights all the time is required for safety.
    It's also required in the United States and Canada, however it's not enforced.

Quote Originally Posted by anxiouz View Post
    If you live in a place like So Cal where it's sunny 99% of the time, DRL are nothing more than cosmetic. Personally I think they look bad so if it gets to the point where I need people to see me, I turn my freaking lights on. DRL may help accident rates but they look terrible and are not necessary in all locations.
    Well you may fall towards the 10% or less that benefit from this, but it doesn't matter if it's sunny. You're still more visible. If you can decrease your accident rate by even 1% with something that's free, that's pretty good to me.

Where I live is the sunniest place in the country. San Diego is #2 behind Denver. I'll still drive with my lights on all the time. Free safety FTW.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

well since they turn off when you engage the E brake, there must be a way to ground them to never come on. i would just like to change to a cleaner/whiter bulb without losing the use of my highbeams *like leds seem to do*

I recently smoked out my headlights and tail lights on my 2011 WRX and I didnt like the way the DRL's made took away from the effect. I looked into disabling them alltogether (not a good idea), and finally figured out that if I just pull my ebrake handle up to the first click, it turns em off without engaging the brake. Sure I have to drive around with my Brake indicator light on in the gauge cluster, but I like to think of it as a reminder that the front of my WRX looks that much more menacing to oncoming drivers. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnyLopez View Post
    I like to think of it as a reminder that the front of my WRX looks that much more menacing to oncoming drivers.
    You keep thinking that, even if less drivers actually see the front of your car.

hmmmm - you really don't have to take off your bumper. At least not on a 2011. Just pop out your passenger side bumper vent. The wire is right there.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just come from underneath. Just like accessing the fog light bulbs. Super easy on ramps.

Quote Originally Posted by Oilypablo View Post
    Just come from underneath. Just like accessing the fog light bulbs. Super easy on ramps.
    I'm sure he figured it out almost 2 years ago...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I'm sure he figured it out almost 2 years ago...
    I should hope. But this video comes up near the top when utoobed. Thought if I saved just one person some hassle......