09 aftermarket stereo install

This is a discussion on 09 aftermarket stereo install within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I am thinking about replacing the stock head unit in my WRX. Is the stereo hard to get out? Are ...

09 aftermarket stereo install

I am thinking about replacing the stock head unit in my WRX. Is the stereo hard to get out? Are there any tutorials showing how to do this?

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

just pop off the plastic piece surrounding the HU and AC vents, and you will see its quite simple. im pretty sure its just a few screws and some wires that need to be unplugged. you will probably need a dashkit and wiring harness also (you can get them for really cheap at crutchfield).

what is the best way to "pop" off the plastic piece??

If you can get your fingernails under the edge, just do it that way. If not, try using the plastic end of a metal nail file, that's what did it for me.

Basically, anything thin and SOFTER than the plastic of the trim so you don't scratch it.
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

Quote Originally Posted by elwray View Post
    If you can get your fingernails under the edge, just do it that way. If not, try using the plastic end of a metal nail file, that's what did it for me.

Basically, anything thin and SOFTER than the plastic of the trim so you don't scratch it.
    yea i just used my hands, try starting on one of the corners, it does take a good bit of force but if it looks like somethings about to break, then stop cuz it probably is.