Boost gauge HELP

This is a discussion on Boost gauge HELP within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Hello, about a month and a half ago i installed my boost gauge line on the left of the intercooler ...

Boost gauge HELP

Hello, about a month and a half ago i installed my boost gauge line on the left of the intercooler on a hose and when it was installed here the psi would only reach 7-8 (PIC Boost1)
    I have a 2004 WRX, which i'm told should have around 13 psi. so a very very reliable friend told me that the closer the line was to the BOV the more acurate it would be. (PIC Boost2)
    So i moved it the the line i was told so it was right off the top hose of the BOV
    HOWEVER, when i go to drive my car, i start it up and the gauge imediately reads -20 psi and would move up from there in the higher RPM's (PIC Boost3)
    This i feel is not right, i would appreciate as much help as possible
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boost1.jpg   Boost2.jpg   Boost3.jpg  
    Last edited by tiller35; 08-18-2009 at 07:51 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

DUB
    Looks good.

The bottom half of the gauge (negative numbers) are measuring inHG (inches of mercury) not PSI. The number is negative at idle because the intake manifold is in vacuum. Once the turbo begins to compress the incoming air the pressure rises, which is shown on the gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    Looks good.

The bottom half of the gauge (negative numbers) are measuring inHG (inches of mercury) not PSI. The number is negative at idle because the intake manifold is in vacuum. Once the turbo begins to compress the incoming air the pressure rises, which is shown on the gauge.
    so did i hook up everything right and i just have the wrong gauge?
    or is there a way to make it right? this is rather confusing

DUB
    everything is as it should be.

everything is as it should be.
    and one last thing lol, when i'm in the higher RPM's will my psi go up to 13 like its supposed to???

DUB
    Boost generated is dependent on load. You wont make your target peak boost revving the motor in neutral or even in 1st or 2nd gear.
    To see your peak boost you want to do a wide open throttle pull in third or fourth gear (4th is tough on city streets because by the time you get to red line you're doing, like, 100).

(4th is tough on city streets because by the time you get to red line you're doing, like, 100).
    that's what the highway is for
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin
    2002 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Traded In!)

2012 Ice Silver Metallic STi Sedan

My wrx is stock and I had the spt boost gauge installed last Friday. When I accelerate the gauge will go to about 15.8psi,.... Does that sound right?