How to take radio out!!!!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on How to take radio out!!!! within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I am trying to take the radio out and put in my XM radio. How do I do that? I ...

How to take radio out!!!!

I am trying to take the radio out and put in my XM radio. How do I do that? I do not want to break the trim.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

this is for an 06/07 non TR. not sure about other years

1. pull up at the back of the trim around the shifter. the whole piece pops up then pull towards the back of the car and leave it around the shifter and wires connected.

2. the main piece around the AC and radio has two screws at the bottom on the sides now visible. undo those, then you can pop the trim out by working your way up from the bottom with your fingers simply pulling out. you will have to undo he two harnesses and air sensor tube from the AC to get it to completely remove.

3. you'll have 6 screws holding on the radio bracket and then just have to undo the wiring harnesses, antenna jack, and ground in the back of the radio. its held to the mounting bracket by four screws on each side.

side note: that plastic interior trim scratches incredibly easy. be very careful where you place them and that your not letting those two trim pieces scratch eachother while movin stuff.
    "90 miles an hour through trees sideways is pretty damn scary" ~Ken Block

I Support ClubWRX
    the 02/03 is much easier...
    pop the radio/ac surround trim out (4 or 6 clips around the perimeter).
    pop the top cupholder out; there are two phillips screws hiding behind it (dont remember if this is actually needed to do or not.. now i think about it, I don't believe it is.)

Once the big trim piece is off, there are 6 phillips screw (3 on left, 3 on right) that hold the radio in. Remove those, slide the radio out. Ta-Da!
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    the 02/03 is much easier...
    pop the radio/ac surround trim out (4 or 6 clips around the perimeter).
    pop the top cupholder out; there are two phillips screws hiding behind it (dont remember if this is actually needed to do or not.. now i think about it, I don't believe it is.)

Once the big trim piece is off, there are 6 phillips screw (3 on left, 3 on right) that hold the radio in. Remove those, slide the radio out. Ta-Da!
    correct! you don't really need to take out the cup holder...

make sure you have a long magnetized screw driver for the bottom 2 screws on the tape deck though. lost one putting in the sound system.
    Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    ^^^Your sig is bull****....
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    Is that a euphemism for a meat helmet?

Question is there plugs in the back of the head unit for an ipod. Since i dont have aux jack. on the front. its an 03 wrx

Quote Originally Posted by 06PearlWRX View Post

1. pull up at the back of the trim around the shifter. the whole piece pops up then pull towards the back of the car and leave it around the shifter and wires connected.

2. the main piece around the AC and radio has two screws at the bottom on the sides now visible. undo those, then you can pop the trim out by working your way up from the bottom with your fingers simply pulling out. you will have to undo he two harnesses and air sensor tube from the AC to get it to completely remove.

3. you'll have 6 screws holding on the radio bracket and then just have to undo the wiring harnesses, antenna jack, and ground in the back of the radio. its held to the mounting bracket by four screws on each side.

side note: that plastic interior trim scratches incredibly easy. be very careful where you place them and that your not letting those two trim pieces scratch eachother while movin stuff.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 06PearlWRX View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 4cyturbowrx View Post
    Question is there plugs in the back of the head unit for an ipod. Since i dont have aux jack. on the front. its an 03 wrx
    It is a 2002 and i am unsure.

I dont think the AUX option was there until 06'
    Huh... Didn't know you couldn't do that...

Quote Originally Posted by 4cyturbowrx View Post
    Jazzy Engineering has the solution, if you have the 6cd changer!
    Nasioc members have used it and it works, i expect mine to arrive today.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

It is done...Thank you

I put the Xm in last night and it took 35 minutes. Thanks to all that helped.

07 was the first year with a stock aux input by the cig. lighter, really one of the only visible changes from 06 to 07.
    "90 miles an hour through trees sideways is pretty damn scary" ~Ken Block

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.