help w/ cigarette lighter socket

This is a discussion on help w/ cigarette lighter socket within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Hi, I got a new socket from Subaru (old one not working) for my '02 wrx, and can't figure out ...

help w/ cigarette lighter socket

Hi,
    I got a new socket from Subaru (old one not working) for my '02 wrx, and can't figure out how to get back there to disconnect the old one and hook up the new one. Subaru said I could do it myself in 15 minutes (without telling me how!), but said they would have to charge me $40 to do it at the dealership.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I've read that the socket should not be used for both cigarette lighting and power (e.g., ipod charger) purposes. The manual said something to this effect, but the dealership guys said there should be no reason this would be an issue.

I don't want to have to get another socket after this ordeal. Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,
    Rob

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by goblue View Post
    Hi,

I don't want to have to get another socket after this ordeal. Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,
    Rob
    Hey just so I understand, are you concerned with power usage or actually disconnecting the old lighter? I know the lighter wire is basically super glued to the lighter on my car.
    When in doubt, frag out.

I Support ClubWRX
    It can blow the fuse, but if it blows the fuse, then you know not to do it again. If it works just fine, then keep doing it.

As far as getting to the lighter socket...

Lift up the area around the parking brake. Do it gently but firmly (ie don't yank). Start at the front and work towards the back. Then remove the shift knob by unscrewing, and then pulling it off. Then lift the area around your shifter. The boot will come with. That may give you enough room to work, I can't remember. If not, you can continue to remove the trim pieces by either tugging gently, or removing the screws then tugging. You'll be able to see if there are screws attached to the trim
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    AGGGGHHHH Duped! This was a post from 2008 Apollo. I'll leave my previous post in case someone finds it in a search.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    AGGGGHHHH Duped! This was a post from 2008 Apollo. I'll leave my previous post in case someone finds it in a search.
    oh what the french toast...... it was at the bottom of my page 1..... WHACK!
    When in doubt, frag out.