shift boot wont stay up on momo knob

This is a discussion on shift boot wont stay up on momo knob within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Anyone have any ideas besides a zip tie to get the stock boot to stay up on a momo knob... ...

shift boot wont stay up on momo knob

Anyone have any ideas besides a zip tie to get the stock boot to stay up on a momo knob... The only ideas people have given me make it look cheap.
    07 WRX SWP
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #703

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

have you tried doing it from the inside? I installed an aftermarket boot as well as knob what i did was put the shift boot on but dont clip to the dash. put your knob on then pull the boot up over the knob (inside out) and use a small zip ti or metal zip ti like the ones for exhaust wrap around it then pull the boot back over and clip down your dash piece. it worked for me and looks how it should look "professionally done" hope this helps any questions pm me.

I actually got the boot to sit right after a few tries with alittle elbow grease. It was a pain in the ass but I got it. Thanks Though.
    07 WRX SWP
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #703

no problem. anytime.

buy the momo shift boot when funds allow..looks so good. thats what I have in my car and it screws around the know..better looking then factory, but if I recall my momo boot was about $100 or so.

....dont worry son, it will happen more and more as you get older....
    Cobb Stage 2 - 2006 OBP WRX Sedan Hawkeye Alliance #12 Modifier's Anonymous Roll Call #2
    My Baby -> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2493032/1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    omfg... you made me think you lost your little peter or something with a thread title like that...
    Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    if you think about it, bugeyes sorta resemble boobs.

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrxdude View Post
    buy the momo shift boot when funds allow..looks so good. thats what I have in my car and it screws around the know..better looking then factory, but if I recall my momo boot was about $100 or so.
    you got a pic of ur momo boot
    STU 17
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #117
    WATCH THIS

Take the threaded cone cover to a machine shop and have them shave or wear a quarter inch, maybe a half from the top. Then screw it, now you have a space for the boot to grip; try in 2 ways.

With the shifter panel off and boot in position, screw the cover tightly. Maybe add the zip tie to avoid the cover to unscrew from vibration.

The other way means more work. With the boot down, screw the cover tightly. Then use a bit of dishwashing liquid to lubricate the cover and the top of the boot. Now work the boot till it goes on the space. This is the best fit if you don't plan on removing it for a long time.