Adjusting Passenger Airbag Weight Sensor

This is a discussion on Adjusting Passenger Airbag Weight Sensor within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I've recently purchased a 2007 WRX and am wondering if anybody knows if you can change the weight sensor for ...

Red face Adjusting Passenger Airbag Weight Sensor

I've recently purchased a 2007 WRX and am wondering if anybody knows if you can change the weight sensor for the passenger seat air bag?! (I've done some searches but have found nothing?!) One of the technicians mentioned that the weight threshold was 98lbs but was unsure if they could adjust the threshold. My girlfriend is just over 100lbs. and depending on her weight dispersion the airbag will go on and off while she's sitting in the seat. Aside from having her hold on to a 20lb weight, does anyone have any ideas?!

Thanks for you help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The way I understand Subaru's air bag deployment, there are 3 sensors. An acceleromter to detect sudden stops (crashes) to deploy the bags, a position sensor in the drivers seat to adjust the speed of deployment (the closer you are, the faster it deploys) and a weight sensor in the passenger seat that allows for distinguishing between a heavy (>100 lbs) passenger or a lighter (<100 lbs) passenger. The bag still deploys regardless (I thought), but the sensor adjust the deployment accordingly. I might be wrong though. To the best of my knowledge, these can't be adjusted.

IMHO...these are designed this way on purpose. As long as your girlfriend is wearing her seat belt, she will be fine. For someon short and lightweight, an air bag deploying is not always the best thing due to the angle of deployment and the rate. These things can easily snap a neck of a lighter framed person.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Angry

Thanks for the reply. I spoke with another technician and he said the threshold is indeed 80lbs, however, it must be evenly distributed. Key word being evenly distributed... I guess if the individual is leaning to the side, or has their legs crossed it may disengage the sensor. They can recalibrate the sensor, which is an option I might consider if it seems to get worse, however, they cannot adjust the threshold (it will only recalibrate to 80lbs). Oh well!!

just keep feeding her
    - Local Riceist

F*** airbags! you don't need them. don't forget that the "SRS" stands for supplemental restraint system. Just wear ur seatbelts. I never like the fact that the eqivalent to a shotgun shell charge is just pointed in ur face all the time. You ever see a racecar with airbags? No; just a 5 point seatbelt. If airbags were that great, the car would just be filled with them and you would bounce around inside your car against 200 degree pillows. I don't know how many of my friends have been hurt by an airbag deploying just b/c the car was hit in the right spot.

Quote Originally Posted by 06WRXturbo View Post
    F*** airbags! you don't need them. don't forget that the "SRS" stands for supplemental restraint system. Just wear ur seatbelts. I never like the fact that the eqivalent to a shotgun shell charge is just pointed in ur face all the time. You ever see a racecar with airbags? No; just a 5 point seatbelt. If airbags were that great, the car would just be filled with them and you would bounce around inside your car against 200 degree pillows. I don't know how many of my friends have been hurt by an airbag deploying just b/c the car was hit in the right spot.
    Good point

[BORAT]NOT![/BORAT]
    - Local Riceist