JL Audio XR650 CSi Speakers in Front Doors
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on JL Audio XR650 CSi Speakers in Front Doors within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Not quite a tutorial, but here's what I did. I installed Raamat 60 on the outer panel and over the ...

JL Audio XR650 CSi Speakers in Front Doors

Not quite a tutorial, but here's what I did.

I installed Raamat 60 on the outer panel and over the inner panel of of the front doors.
    Raamat60 sound matting in front doors

Then I installed JL Audio XR650 CSi component speakers. Impressions: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...235#post104235

The OEM speaker wire run to the door was used to connect to the crossover. There are instructions elswhere to get the panel off and use the wires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails finaldoorwopanel.jpg  
    Last edited by stanton; 12-06-2002 at 12:00 PM.
    Platinum Silver Metallic '03 Wagon
    Tinted Windows, JL Audio XR650 component speakers, Raamatted doors, MRT Rear 20-24mm Sway Bar

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The tweeter was mounted in the same place as the OEM, using the same bracket. The original was unscrewed and the glue bond broken. I bent the little tab back and used steel high-strength (unnecessary) epoxy to mount the JL tweeter to the bracket, centering it slightly forward of where the other was, and set it asside to cure.

The woofer was more challenging. The OEM Subaru mount uses a larger diameter 3-hole mount. Most normal speakers use something else. Also, the JLs are too deep to be mounted directly to the door sheet metal. Mounts had to be made. I couldn't get a good reference measurement of the clearance behind the inner door panel, so I just went ahead with a guess. My choice of MDF (medium density fiber board) is either 1/2" or 3/4", so I made two 1/2" mounts and stacked them to equal 1". The speaker cleared well. However, after I got it all together the inner panel had a way to go to fit well. So, I went to a single 3/4" mount. I counter-sunk screw holes for the mount mounting screws. Self-tapping sheet metal screws of the right size thread right into the OEM holes. The four speaker screws were wood screws supplied by JL Audio and screwed right into pilot holes drilled in the MDF. I used silicone caulk to seal the perimeter between the mount and door and between the mount and speaker.

Clearance of the inner panel was fine after a little trimming, BUT a window stop was now set for collision. With a dremel and a cut-off wheel, I trimmed about half of the protrusion of that screw and white plastic thing seen in the picture. It is important to take it slow to not melt the plastic.

The speaker box states "2.81 in. mounting depth". I never measured it, but I had to remove the 3/16" thick rubber cover over the magnet to buy more room.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails woofermount.jpg  
    Last edited by stanton; 11-17-2002 at 02:43 PM.

Below is a dimensionally-accurate speaker mount. Unfortunately, I scanned it before I made final trimming adjustments. this is not was is seen in the final picture at the top of this post. After I took the picture, I trimmed the left side alond the dots and also chamfered the bottom edge closest to you with a utility knife to avoid contact with the inner door panel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wrx speaker template3a.gif  

I performed very little trimming on the inner door panel. Trimming the upper part of the circle is the only thing I did. I was too lazy to really determine whether it needed it.

...Edited for picture mark-up...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails woofergrill trim.jpg  
    Last edited by stanton; 12-14-2002 at 02:29 PM.

Now THOSE are details. Super informative.

I'll be going with component speakers myself and hope to get direct-fit replacements. Thanks for the pics + instructions stanton.

Jutus, good luck finding a direct-fit. Keep in mind that shallower speakers tend not to have good bass.

Crutchfield only shows the Rockford Fosgate U's (I forget the number) as being the only ones in their line-up that would fit. I listened to the same models in non-U (which claim to have better bass response) at Best Buy. Yuck! Sound was over-all just bad. I did compare them to other speakers with the same amp set-up in the store, so comparatively they are weaker in performance.

Make sure you listen to what you're interested in - then post when you're done.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.