Raamat60 sound matting in front doors

This is a discussion on Raamat60 sound matting in front doors within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Not a full detailed tutorial, but here's what I did to deaden noise from the front doors and kick the ...

Raamat60 Matting in Front Doors

Not a full detailed tutorial, but here's what I did to deaden noise from the front doors and kick the stereo up a notch.

I installed Raamat 60 on the outer panel and over the inner panel of of the front doors, then installed JL Audio XR650 CSi component speakers.
    Impressions: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...235#post104235

I had to build spacers for the woofers. Details are here:
    JL Audio XR650 CSi Speakers in Front Doors

Took the speakers and the plastic liner off the door. Taking the plastic off works better when it's cold, using a swift "ripping" action to keep the adhesive with the liner. Nothing too special, but here's a picture.. 75k
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails doorwospeakers.jpg  
    Last edited by stanton; 11-17-2002 at 03:15 PM.
    Platinum Silver Metallic '03 Wagon
    Tinted Windows, JL Audio XR650 component speakers, Raamatted doors, MRT Rear 20-24mm Sway Bar

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Raamat and closed-cell foam

Next, I installed 1 to 3 layers of Raamat 60, completely covering the back panel of the door - except behind the upper crash bar, where there's no room. I also lined the front, rear and bottom of the inside of the door with one layer. The matting is self-adhesive and sticky. I tried to keep the sections as large as possible, while still being able to get them in place. It seamed my common size was about 8x12" with thinner strips for tight areas.

On top of the matting, I glued close-cell foam with 3m Super 77 adhesive. In the right door, I used 3mm (1/8") panels (green in the picture) in the center of the door and directly behind the speaker, and 5mm (3/16") panels (pink in the picture) glued to the top of some of the thinner stuff. In the left door, I used sections of 7/16" foam (like used under a sleeping bag). To make bond better, I applied to both surfaces, let dry, then pushed the foam in place. I temporarily masked the mechanical parts of the window with paper towel to avoid overspray problems.

At the very bottom of the door, I used 3/4" "expanded polystyrene" (Styrofoam) to muffle noise coming through the door drains while not hindering drainage or soaking with water.

While the doors are MUCH quieter, I can't tell a difference between the two doors, from the driver's seat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails doorwmattedpanel.jpg  
    Last edited by stanton; 11-17-2002 at 01:43 PM.

Here's a closer picture of the thin foam. Here, blue is the 3mm and red is the 5mm...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails thinfoam.jpg  
    Last edited by stanton; 11-17-2002 at 12:54 PM.

Next, I matted the inside door panel with 1 to 3 layers. I tried to cover the entire panel and seal all holes. I trimmed around the interior panel mounting holes to make sure I had no problems remounting it. After remounting, I actually had to go back and remove some mat from the center of the door, behind the pull handle. You can see the section I had to cut.

For the area of the door lock and door opener rods, I cut a strip of mat covering the size of the area of the rods and applied that strip reversed to the underside (sticky side to sticky side) of a larger mat applied normally. I did this to make sure nothing sticks to the linkage.

Here's a picture of everything.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails finaldoorwopanel.jpg  
    Last edited by stanton; 11-17-2002 at 01:43 PM.