Schroth Quick Fit harness
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Schroth Quick Fit harness within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Very high quality harness w/ the added feature of being a click in/click out set. Once installed literally a one ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Schroth Quick Fit harness

Very high quality harness w/ the added feature of being a click in/click out set. Once installed literally a one minute clip in/clip out

Here's an overview

The system uses two of the oem seat belt receptacles- one in the front, one in the rear, both towards the middle of the car. You must install two mounts/clips- one in the front, one in the rear- these once mounted, stay in the vehicle. The both mount to oe seat belt mounting locations.

Lets get started, we'll start w/ the front. Your going to mount the front clip where the lower front seat belt fastens. To do this we have to get some "stuff" out of the way. You'll need to remove the lower center pillar trim piece. Start by unclipping the front door sill piece that overlaps it, same in the rear- you just need to pull those piece up enough to get the center piece out.

There is a fastener in the rear of the center pillar that is removed. The piece simply pull out, go slow don't want to break any of the plastic.

With the lower center pillar piece out you'll have to pull up the edge of the carpet a little bit to expose the bolt- to do this you need to unfasten a clip in the front and rear (pic showing the front one). Now you can see the bolt- it's a 14mm bolt- remove it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fronttrim.jpg   reartrim.jpg   reartrimfastner.jpg   frontclips.jpg   fronbolt.jpg  

"Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    With the bolt removed you'll see a little "dog leg" on the end- insure this goes back into the hole that is reserved for it (see pics). Slide the bolt through the Schroth mount and the original hardware (locating the dog leg where it needs to go). Torque down to 22 ft lbs. Tuck the carper back into place and put the trim piece back on.

Now the front is done- you can see how it clips in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails frontboltremoved.jpg   frontbolthole.jpg   frontmountin.jpg   frontmountfinished.jpg   frontmountfastened.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    Now to do the rear. We need to remove the lower rear seat- two 12mm bolts and it's out.
    Find the lower seat belt mount on the outside- remove it- 14mm. Put the rear Scroth mount and reinstall- I left mine flat- pointed to the middle of the car- this left enough for the clip to be accessible. I've heard some people bending this, but I chose not to.

Torque is again 22 ft lbs. Put the seat back in. Make sure the Schroth clip is exposed.

pic of the rearward portion of the harness

One minute to clip it in, one minute to remove it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12mmrearseatbolt.jpg   rearseatbolt.jpg   rearmountin.jpg   rearmountfinished.jpg   rearharness.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    Pic of the harness from the front seat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails frontharness.jpg  

Is this considered safety equipment, or just a better way to hold you in place for control purposes? I'm curious about the lack of anti-submarine straps, mostly.

I use a CG-Lock all the time, and I like the way it holds me in the seat. This looks like a major step beyond that. Very trick.
    ribonucleic acid freakout

I Support ClubWRX
    I'll be using them for autox/track days, but they are DOT approved. They utilize a patented anti submaring technology- asm.

More info here:

http://www.schroth.com/english/container_english.htm

Also a good video w/ crash dummies here

http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/SchrothASMII.wmv

Awesome write up. I have been interested in these recently as they look like a good way to keep yourself planted during an Auto-X. Where did you get them from?
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

I Support ClubWRX
    Dan- These should fit the bill

Got 'em at http://www.soloracer.com/

Mike

Well worth the price, I love mine.

From what I can tell and what I emailed soloracer, these will not fit a 2006 STI. Apparently
    I have to wait for a new model.

Wow thats a great idea. If I ever need a harness I know what to get now.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Not sure on the 06 fitment- I do know that when they first got here to the states they found out that the EU cars (where Schroth designed them) had different seatbelt receptacles than ours and the Schroth's wouldn't fit - they all had to go back. Maybe the 06 is the "EU" type?

Funny they would make different seat belt setups- might be a DOT or NHSTA spec?

Sky,

Are you running a harness without a rollbar...at the track?

I can't get the link to load to read about it.

Best,
    Dan
    Last edited by dan240; 03-30-2006 at 08:12 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Their site seems to be down for the moment- hit the other links w/ the vid. These harnesses have some unique safety features built in- they are TUV and DOT certified for use on public roads.

They are unique left and right (and you have to have the correct one on the correct side) and allow under vigerous load one side to stretch a little- mimicing a 3 point harness to a degree where rollover cocerns come into play. In addition they also have ASM (anti submarining), allows the pretensioner of your oe setup to work and air bags work as well.

I'll let everyone else make their own mind up, but yes I will be using these at the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    Their site seems to be down for the moment- hit the other links w/ the vid. These harnesses have some unique safety features built in- they are TUV and DOT certified for use on public roads.

They are unique left and right (and you have to have the correct one on the correct side) and allow under vigerous load one side to stretch a little- mimicing a 3 point harness to a degree where rollover cocerns come into play. In addition they also have ASM (anti submarining), allows the pretensioner of your oe setup to work and air bags work as well.

I'll let everyone else make their own mind up, but yes I will be using these at the track.
    I've got these in my STI and I love them.
    2005 WRB STI

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast