Schroth Quick Fit harness - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Schroth Quick Fit harness within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; For you guys that have these, do you use them daily on the street? If so, can you comment on ...

I Support ClubWRX
    For you guys that have these, do you use them daily on the street? If so, can you comment on how comfortable they are and any general comments or complaints about them for daily use? I'm gonna need some harnesses for light motorsports use sometime in the near future and was looking into these. The only problem is that I'm lazy and know that, despite their being easy to remove, there will be a time when I just leave them in there for street use...
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MidKnight
    For you guys that have these, do you use them daily on the street? If so, can you comment on how comfortable they are and any general comments or complaints about them for daily use? I'm gonna need some harnesses for light motorsports use sometime in the near future and was looking into these. The only problem is that I'm lazy and know that, despite their being easy to remove, there will be a time when I just leave them in there for street use...
    The seats in the STI are kind of uncomfortable for long drives and these seatbelts make you sit correctly if have have them tensioned correctly, so no more back problems for me. They really are a simple as hell to remove, just unclip like a normal seat belt or you can pop this little connector loose and leave the clip in the receiving end of the seat belt. I leave mine in all of the time because it makes you stay put in the seat and not move side to side in corners. The only thing that I don't like about them is the fact that they will wrinkle you dress shirts because of the way snug you into the seat. No big deal, I just have to dress up for work so when I where a suit I just quick unclip the tap from the receiver in the front and push the harness aside and use the regular seat belt. They are really awesome and you feel alot safer when you are driving. I wouldn't buy any other harness if you do not have a harness bar.
    2005 WRB STI

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks... sounds like I may order one of these up soon
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Tallahassee, FL is home... Memphis, TN for school
    In a wreck driving on the street with this harness is it still going to be a problem with out a harness bar? Or because of the angle will it be safer? I've heard of bad things with harnesses without a harness bar and just wanting to raise the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Pzary3233
    In a wreck driving on the street with this harness is it still going to be a problem with out a harness bar? Or because of the angle will it be safer? I've heard of bad things with harnesses without a harness bar and just wanting to raise the question.
    As long as the angle of the belt coming out of the back of your seat is less than a 45 degree angle you will be fine. Schoth has anti-submarine technology that will keep you from sliding downward. If yo were to just bolt in a Sparco harness, you would most likely be injured in an accident without a harness bar. Schroth utilizes the stock seatbelt mounting locations for a reason so you will stay put when you crash. I have sat in someone STI who just bolted in a generic harness with no bar and it sucked. You would rack your balls on the steering colun in a crash!
    2005 WRB STI

I was asking because I've heard people talk about the harness ripping though the seat in a hard impact leading to more bodily harm than there should have been. I'm not worried about the mounting points of this harness being unsafe as SOA wouldn't design something with weak attachment points, one would hope! Would a Harness bar be of benifit even if it did nothing else but to guide the harness and keep it from going though the seat (if that is a problem) but not actually mounting the harness to the bar.

Maybe I am reading too much into it?

I Support ClubWRX
    C-nears pointed out that if the angle off the back of the seat is less han 45degress then you're fine. If you're in an accident, you're not gonna put much force on the belt in a direction that would cause it to tear down into the seat. This harness is DOT approved so you know it has been tested and deemed safe to use as-is.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno

Quote Originally Posted by MidKnight
    C-nears pointed out that if the angle off the back of the seat is less han 45degress then you're fine. If you're in an accident, you're not gonna put much force on the belt in a direction that would cause it to tear down into the seat. This harness is DOT approved so you know it has been tested and deemed safe to use as-is.
    yeah I had noticed his reply, but I was under a different impression. However If they are DOT Approved (Which means Major $$$ Spending) then I'd imagine that they would be ok.

BidSky, do find the lap belt wants creep up when you tighen the shoulder belts? My buddy just put a set in his car and when I tighten the shoulder belts it kept pull the lap belt up.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    No that hasn't been a problem for me- maybe I have too much to hold the lap belt in w/

I make sure to get the lap belt good and snug- not really in the waist, but more on the points of the hip- then snug the shoulders down
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Has anyone put a harness in a 2004 outback sport? if so any suggestions on mounting points. i would think that the back seat points would be money (easy access) but i think they would be too low and the angle from the seat would be too great.

bigsky, thanks for the writeup and safety info...i've been reluctant to install a harness bar as my wrx is currently my daily driver (for now) but this setup seems ideal for my needs.
    <works for Honda, drives a Subaru.

OK, I would LOVE to have one of these harnesses, but the lead out angle for the shoulder straps worries me. In conversation with several safety engineers, they'd all said that if the attachment point for the shoulder strap is lower than the top of the shoulders, the force the body applies to the harness slamming into it is converted into a compression force on the spine.

In other words, if the mount points are lower than you are, the straps pull down on you in a head on crash thus compressing your spine.

How does the Schroth harness avoid this?

Ty

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Schroth could probably answer better than me But from my limited understanding there is an "accepted" range of angles and this falls within those. Even many of the roll cages and harness bars I've seen mount lower than shoulder level.

It's possible that the "stretch" feature in the harness that adresses roll over concerns may also play a role.

My suggestion would be to get the answer straight from them if your considering this harness- always best straight from the source.
    Last edited by Big Sky WRX; 06-26-2006 at 05:45 PM.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

now that some people have had this harness for a while....let's see how people like them still. i'm thinking of ordering them. seems that first impressions are that they are great even if you use it daily, and you can use your regular seatbelts at any time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.