Build your own gauge pod! CUSTOM!!!11OMFG!!! - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Build your own gauge pod! CUSTOM!!!11OMFG!!! within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Originally Posted by E-Wrex ....... And I never found anything out about the sender, although they do sell them at ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Wrex

And I never found anything out about the sender, although they do sell them at G.I. Joes

Linky poo please? ...
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Oil pressure sender.. should work with most electronic gauges. G.I. Joes is a sports/auto store in Oregon, and they indeed have them on the shelves. By the way, I googled that sender in about two seconds for future reference
    My poor tranny!... someone sell me an aspen white 06 sti.

Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Wrex
    Oil pressure sender.. should work with most electronic gauges. G.I. Joes is a sports/auto store in Oregon, and they indeed have them on the shelves. By the way, I googled that sender in about two seconds for future reference
    Thanks for the link. *Jc Whitney*

You mentioned a specific store, I thought I might patronize them.
    I googled for that specific outlet (gi joes) before I even asked you...
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

well its waaay better than i could have ever come up with

Lightbulb Home-Depot Turbo-Boost Gauge POD

I'm not an expert but just wanted to share this idea. Went to Home-Depot and purchased a "PVC" piping "end-cap"...about 2/12" inches in diameter that would, pretty much, match the diameter of my boost-gauge. First I cut out the depth of the cap to fit the gauge and drilled some holes (four in my case), three in the back of cap (two to secure the gauge with the bolts provided/attached to the gauge and one for an adjust feature on my gauge). I also drilled a hole at the bottom of cap for mounting and wiring purposes. Sanded the cap to erase all manufacturer brands and gave it a couple of paint coats. PVC is very tough and clean so there isn't much more you need to do to it. So, I've drilled a "small" hole on the dash-board (left of the clock) because that's where I routed my wires through. The gauge looks no different than many "after-market" ones and perhaps BETTER than some!
    I like the original casting (mold/shape) that the PVC pipe already had.
    Hope this inspires some DIY's. Oh, by the way...the project only cost me about $2.37 after hardware...maybe $5.00 if you don't already have aerosol (spray) paint.
    Last edited by subeerex; 11-17-2005 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by subeerex
    I'm not an expert but just wanted to share this idea. Went to Home-Depot and purchased a "PVC" piping "end-cap"...about 2/12" inches in diameter that would, pretty much, match the diameter of my boost-gauge. First I cut out the depth of the cap to fit the gauge and drilled some holes (three for my gauge) in the back of cap to get all the wiring out and through. I also drilled a hole at the bottom of cap for mounting purposes. Sanded the cap to erase all manufacturer brands and gave it a couple of paint coats. PVC is very tough and clean so there isn't much more you need to do to it. So, I've drilled a "small" hole on the dash-board (left of the clock) because that's where I routed my wires through. The gauge looks no different than many "after-market" ones and perhaps BETTER than some!
    I like the original casting (mold/shape) that the PVC pipe already had.
    Hope this inspires some DIY's. Oh, by the way...the project only cost me about $2.37 after hardware...maybe $5.00 if you don't already have aerosol (spray) paint.
    Can you post some "pictures" of your "PVC" boost gauge enclosure made from an "end-cap"? I am very curious to see how it "turned out", especially since you made it for so little "money". Next time I am at Home Depot, I will have to look for one of those "thingies" if it will be better than an "after-market" one.

Lightbulb

[QUOTE=Gooner]Can you post some "pictures" of your "PVC" boost gauge enclosure -

Sorry man! I have a "flintstones"-age computer set up that is not equipped to send pictures. The project's simple though as I mentioned. The hardest part is probably adjustinf/cutting for the depth of the cap to fit the gauge depth. But, imagine cutting a typical water cup in half or so (yeah the plastic type you find in your kitchen cabinet). Now, you wanna cut it to fit a lemon with the head of the lemon sticking out just above the rim of the.. now, shorter cup...you want that lemon snug too. Well, it's the same idea with this project but the lemon is your gauge in this case. Depends on the gauge type (mine has two built-in bolts on back for mounting and an adjuster button) you drill the holes necessary to secure the gauge to the cap. Now lay the cap on it's side and deside/mark the bottom of the cap which will match the bottom of the gauge (once in mounted position). Drill a hole (in my case, about 3/8" of an inch) at this bottom of the cap to get the wires through and will also serve to mount the gauge. To this 3/8" hole I screwed-on a "hollow" threaded bolt, same 3/8" size (about 1" inch in length) and secured it with two washer-like nuts (as thin as an American dime-coin but with enough thread to call it a nut), one inside and out side of the cap. I drilled a 3/8" hole on the dash board, left of the clock to mount my gauge and also route my wires through. That "hollow" bolt goes through this hole on the dash board and, again, secure it with a nut on the inside/bottom of dash.
    I sanded the cap to get rid of any markings, emblems or logos from the manufacturer and gave it a couple of paint coats (mine is red). Like I said, the project will only run you for under $5.00 bucks (can't beat it), PVC cap, nuts, bolts and spray-paint.
    Hope I was as clear as possible...sorry about not being able to show pictures.
    Good luck!

I bit the bullet and bought an autometer a-pillar pod, it looks way freakin' cleaner. Oh, and I got some decent gauges, pics in a little bit. The little project was fun, but getting bondo realllllly smooth is an art. The end producy had little random flat spots and bubble pits and such, but it really wasnt bad in the end. Plus it probably wasn't worth the overall effort considering autometer gauge pods are around 50 bucks and I probably spent about 40 just getting everything right. Plus you can get some knock off ones that dont fit quite as well for like 20 bucks off ebay. Pics in a minute!

Mods

I cheated! Looks freakin' sweet tho, if I do say so myself.

Mods

Quote Originally Posted by E-Wrex View Post
    I bit the bullet and bought an autometer a-pillar pod, it looks way freakin' cleaner. Oh, and I got some decent gauges, pics in a little bit. The little project was fun, but getting bondo realllllly smooth is an art. The end producy had little random flat spots and bubble pits and such, but it really wasnt bad in the end. Plus it probably wasn't worth the overall effort considering autometer gauge pods are around 50 bucks and I probably spent about 40 just getting everything right. Plus you can get some knock off ones that dont fit quite as well for like 20 bucks off ebay. Pics in a minute!
    if you try another fiberglass project try using speaker grill cloth stretched and superglue with activator to hold it in place and then put fiberglass resin on the grill cloth to get a mold. will make life much easier for you. as far as the bubbles at my shop we have a sprayable high build primer (i want to say it's called slick sand) that we use that gets rid of the bubbles so it doesn't have to be perfect. the flat spots can be minimized using a foam backed sand paper so you don't have pressure points where your fingers are causing them. all in all with those materials you would be probably over $100 that you could pick up a pre made gauge piller though. you should be able to find all this stuff at a local auto body paint store. hope this will help.

How is that? What type of car is that is it a carbon fiber gauge pod? Just correct me if I am misunderstood.
    Last edited by knickick; 09-23-2010 at 10:31 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.